Greetings,

I am in search of a new tube amp I have been playing guitar for about 1 year now on and off, not fully 100% dedicated but enough to want a new amp, my ears have grown tired of the tones that my Line 6 Spider III Fifteen Watt amp produces and I must move on to bigger and better things.

My price range is $700.00 Canadian Dollars absolute max. I am looking for a tube amp, with a tube (valve) pre-amp and power amp, no tube mosfet garbage thank you.

My interests in music, are the following, Folk Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, Death Metal, Progressive Metal, Power Metal, Eighties Hair Metal, and Progressive. To sum it up I listen to it loud and I play it loud.

I play in a bedroom on the upper floor of a condo, 30 watts is the absolute maximum I would need, 1x12 preferably, and it needs to be able to do small/medium gigs in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to review my post I look forward to gathering your responses at a later date.

-GT
In order for evil to succeed, good men must do nothing...
Might be a little bigger wattage wise than you are looking for but I'd definitely check this out. I have the head version and it is probably the best amp for the price I've found.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Should be able to get most of the tones you'd want, with the exception for maybe some types of death metal, on it's own. And the cleans are great.
Esp JH-200
Austin LP Copy
Esp DV8r
Epiphone Faded G-400 SG
B-52 AT-100 Head
Peavey Royal 8
The problem is, it's tough to find a 30 watt amp that does death metal. Also, I'm not very aware of Canadian prices. But maybe something like a Randall RG50TC, B-52 AT112 or a Peavey Valveking 112 (you might need an OD pedal to go at least with the VK)? I believe they're under that budget, and all are 50 watts.

Another chance might be something like a Traynor (they're Canadian right?), they can do at least hard rock I believe but death metal even with a pedal? I don't know too much about them tbh.

Edit: Oops, B-52 was 60 watts, but nevertheless. But don't be afraid of getting something like a Digitech Bad Monkey (analog OD pedal) to boost your amp if you think you need it.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Last edited by Fama at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by Fama
The problem is, it's tough to find a 30 watt amp that does death metal.

+1

Almost impossible without going boutique. Maybe a used, small Mesa. An F30, or a DC or Subway series? You realize a 30W tube amp is going to sound a lot louder than a 30W SS amp, right?

Quote by Fama
Another chance might be something like a Traynor (they're Canadian right?), they can do at least hard rock I believe but death metal even with a pedal? I don't know too much about them tbh.

This was going to be my suggestion. The YCV 40 is close enough, has great cleans and a modern voice on the gain. There's a new 50W Traynor that I believe has a switch down to 15W(?) that might be useful, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.