I've had some ugly sounds coming from my amp so I recently flipped it over and had a look at the tubes, thinking maybe one was loose or damaged. I found one of the tubes was actually cracked so I ordered a matched pair of JJ 6L6's and fitted them last night. Initially I thought the problem was gone but after a little playing the amp began to make the same sounds.

It's difficult to describe the sound but it's not like a buzzing or a feedback type sound and it's not from other electrical devices as the amp was the only thing powered up. It's purely from the amp as it makes the same noise when the guitar isn't plugged in. The sound is more like static, but it sounds distant although very audible, it also comes and goes and the intensity of the sound changes as well.

Any ideas what the cause might be? The amp is a Peavey VK112.

Thanks
dude dont bump threads, its probably another thread somewhere
but ill help anyway.

the problem could be cold solder joints, i had a similar problem with my fender hot rod deluxe and a few ceramic resisters had cold solder joints because they produce a lot of heat and as they age become less reliable and put more heat in to the joints then the air. but i wouldnt open the amp up and try and fix it ur self like i did unless u have some experience and knowledge of ur amp, theres some deadly voltage that can be stored in those capacitors even if its unplugged

get a qualifiedly serviceman to look at it for u, other then that i dont know, preamp tubes?
Gear

Ibanez sz720fm
Orange Tiny Terror with custom handmade 2x12 (Jensen Electric Lightning's)
Vox V87a Wah-pedal
Maybe you need to have the tubes biased properly, instead of simply plugging the new ones in.
Yeah I did check other threads but none seem to be having this particular problem. I bumped it cause if I got a definite answer like 'that's a preamp tube problem' I could get some ordered pronto and have them for the weekend. I didn't think the tubes needed biased as I was replacing like for like? I'll monitor the tubes to make sure nothing is over heating and if the problem gets worse I'll take it back to the dealer to have it serviced. Cheers for the help
how old is the amp anyway?, sorry man i wasn't like flaming u or nothing. its hard to give u a definite anwsers cause there is just so many damn things in an amp that could cause that problem. anyway i hope i help cheers
Gear

Ibanez sz720fm
Vox V87a Wah-pedal
Quote by Ampto
how old is the amp anyway?, sorry man i wasn't like flaming u or nothing. its hard to give u a definite anwsers cause there is just so many damn things in an amp that could cause that problem. anyway i hope i help cheers

Nah it's cool, I didn't think you were flaming.
I bought the amp about 3 months ago but when I saw the cracked tube I thought 'yup there's yer problem' but I still get that same noise although its much better and doesn't really interfere when I'm playing. I'm reluctant to take it back to the shop cause it's a heavy mutha and I really don't want to be without it again. If I do take it back I'll mention the cold solder joints, so yeah you've helped.
Cheers bra'
hmm at that age i wouldnt think it would be cold solder joints, but u never know, my amps like 5 years old. anyway, goodluck
Gear

Ibanez sz720fm
Vox V87a Wah-pedal