My other guitarist is a gain fiend and he sticks his Boss OD in front of any amp he uses, with maximum gain on both the amp and the pedal.

Only problem is, when he's not playing, there is a deafening hiss from his amp to the point where he has to stamp on the pedal between songs so that we can hear ourselves talk.

Apparently it is a Keeley modded pedal as well with reduced hiss.

I tried a Behringer UM-100 in front of my Valveking and there was some hiss which was unnacceptable to me but nothing like my mates.

So, is it normal for OD pedals to cause a lot of hiss?

Because if so, I'll do without one thanks.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Whoa. I just stared at your avatar for a full 2 minutes...
Anyway, most pedals will make a small amount of hiss. Some will be worse than others. If you get a fairly good OD it shouldnt make enough hiss to be annoying
His sound is pretty horrible but I once suggest he turn down the gain and he gave me a very hard stare for about 2 minutes and then turned away slowly shaking his head, lol.

I guess it's cos he maxed everything out.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
Ugh, I hate it when people just dollop a **** loada gain on there amps, you can get great distortion with the gain just under half way then gain just at half way on a decent pedal... Its where mine lives and I play all sorts of heavier metal from Lamb of God to Amon Amarth.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
Umm, usually when people use an OD with an amp, they put the gain on the pedal down to none and dime the level. Might be the problem.

At least I think so
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Does he have a solid state amp? Because if he does an OD on top of the amp gain will hiss like a bitch, sound like crap and not do anything positive for his sound at all.

Also, the maximum gain on everything won't help one bit, the guys just being a tool
Like people have already said, if you use an OD to boost a tube amp's natural distortion you have the gain on the pedal on 0 and the level up. Have you heard Cigarettes and Alchol by Oasis? That hissy noise before the song starts, and subsequent messy, indistinct wall of noise sound they have...that's what he's getting.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 3, 2008,
Well, he has a JCM900 head but it blew a valve so he's been using a Laney SS head for the last few weeks till he gets new valves.

It hisses either way.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha