nope, deadly solar radiation gets ya first. theres no atmosphere for protection. thats just a vacuum, not space.

edit:nvm, read the full article on humans in space. you lose concousness after 9-12 seconds.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Zugunruhe at Apr 3, 2008,
Okay, fine, say you were in space for under 90 seconds, with no exposure to harmful radiation, just the vacuum.

THEN you could survive!

Right?

RIGHT GUYS!?

EDIT:

Yes you lose consciousness, but you can be revived Who's keen? I'm keen.

Wikipedia says so
A U S S I E
yeh, its also the worst death imaginable, imagin all the air in your body being sucked out wherever it happens to be. That means boiled blood my friend
I mosh continuosly
Well, if it's from wikipedia, then there is always the chance that the information is false, although unlikely. Damn, that would be a fun 90 seconds...
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

I didn't know that, I thought your head just explodes

But this is just for vaccum, don't forget radiation, a possible black hole nearby, etc
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
[quote="'[ LiAm "]']yeh, its also the worst death imaginable, imagin all the air in your body being sucked out wherever it happens to be. That means boiled blood my friend
Or like my old science teacher told me, if you hold your breath, your chest cavity would explode.
Quote by Dimster Ds
I didn't know that, I thought your head just explodes

But this is just for vaccum, don't forget radiation, a possible black hole nearby, etc

Black holes are merely theoretical

And yes, your chest cavity would explode due to the outwards air pressure in your lungs due to the complete lack of air pressure in space due to the vacuum, your lungs are free to expand as much as they want without resistance (except physical limitations, of your body of course)

Space would we way too cold for you to survive very long, perhaps 3 seconds tops.
Black holes aren't theoretical...or if they are it's in the scientific sense of the word theory, meaning we know it to be true...
Quote by tushmeister
Black holes aren't theoretical...or if they are it's in the scientific sense of the word theory, meaning we know it to be true...

There are no actual pictures taken with a satellite in space or a telescope that show a black hole, scientists theorise that they exist, and they've only shown computer simulations of what they look like.

As the pit-monkeys say

"Pics or it didn't happen"
Quote by tushmeister
No but we've created miniature ones in colliders around the globe...

So we somehow managed to make a star collapse on itself despite the closest star to earth being 4.7 (4.3?) light years away?

Cool.
'A black hole is a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing can escape after having fallen past the event horizon.'

It isn't specifically caused by the death of a star, two atoms hitting with enough energy can create micro-black holes, tiny areas of exceptional gravitational pull

Fair enough I was slightly wrong however, it's only in principle, though the Large Hadron Collider is anticipated to have the ability, this is what wiki says

'In principle, a sufficiently energetic collision within a very powerful particle accelerator could produce a micro black hole. In practice, this is expected to require energies comparable to the Planck energy, which is vastly beyond the capability of any present, planned, or expected future particle accelerator to produce. Some speculative models allow the formation of black holes at much lower energies. This would allow production of extremely short-lived black holes in terrestrial particle accelerators. No evidence of this type of black hole production has been presented as of 2007.'

EDIT

And even then the things we observe prove their existence, black holes are far from simply hypothesis...
Didn't we take a quiz on this like a week or two ago? It asked you questions and told you how long you could chill in space for, right?
Quote by tushmeister
'A black hole is a region of space in which the gravitational field is so powerful that nothing can escape after having fallen past the event horizon.'

It isn't specifically caused by the death of a star, two atoms hitting with enough energy can create micro-black holes, tiny areas of exceptional gravitational pull

Fair enough I was slightly wrong however, it's only in principle, though the Large Hadron Collider is anticipated to have the ability, this is what wiki says

'In principle, a sufficiently energetic collision within a very powerful particle accelerator could produce a micro black hole. In practice, this is expected to require energies comparable to the Planck energy, which is vastly beyond the capability of any present, planned, or expected future particle accelerator to produce. Some speculative models allow the formation of black holes at much lower energies. This would allow production of extremely short-lived black holes in terrestrial particle accelerators. No evidence of this type of black hole production has been presented as of 2007.'

EDIT

And even then the things we observe prove their existence, black holes are far from simply hypothesis...

Well, we can't really say (not many can) just how much power would be required to power such a particle accelerator, let-alone produce enough energy to produce a black hole without going into quantum theories (which is mostly theory, and is so annoying ><

EDIT: What we observe may just be one of several numbers of things that may have actually happened, black holes are just a tiny bit of the spectrum but are most well known due to sci-fi flicks (I love them though)
Quote by XianXiuHong
Well, we can't really say (not many can) just how much power would be required to power such a particle accelerator, let-alone produce enough energy to produce a black hole without going into quantum theories (which is mostly theory, and is so annoying ><

Well we can, it's around Plancks Energy, although it is possible to create temporary black holes using lower energies (it's in the bit I pasted above...)

'Some speculative models allow the formation of black holes at much lower energies'

Don't get me wrong, it's speculative, but um, it's not quantum theorised, nor is it difficult to grasp, it's exactly what it says, it may be possible using lower energies to create black holes in a controlled environment...

But again, we're pretty certain they exist, we can see there effects through what is occurring on their event horizons, so they definitely exist, what isn't a cert is how they actually interact with things, but we have a strong enough basic knowledge to pretty much affirm they exist..
Quote by tushmeister
Well we can, it's around Plancks Energy, although it is possible to create temporary black holes using lower energies (it's in the bit I pasted above...)

'Some speculative models allow the formation of black holes at much lower energies'

Don't get me wrong, it's speculative, but um, it's not quantum theorised, nor is it difficult to grasp, it's exactly what it says, it may be possible using lower energies to create black holes in a controlled environment...

But again, we're pretty certain they exist, we can see there effects through what is occurring on their event horizons, so they definitely exist, what isn't a cert is how they actually interact with things, but we have a strong enough basic knowledge to pretty much affirm they exist..

Scientists may be able to create them, but what they can create doesn't mean that physics can, can physics forge an iron sword by itself?

What scientists have, is SOME vague visual evidence and many complicated equations/theories but for true proof, they need solid evidence, pictures. I myself lean on the side of them existing but until they have actual pictures of real black-holes instead of man-made ones or computer simulations, I can only border between them being theoretical and possibly real.
Quote by XianXiuHong
Scientists may be able to create them, but what they can create doesn't mean that physics can, can physics forge an iron sword by itself?

What scientists have, is SOME vague visual evidence and many complicated equations/theories but for true proof, they need solid evidence, pictures. I myself lean on the side of them existing but until they have actual pictures of real black-holes instead of man-made ones or computer simulations, I can only border between them being theoretical and possibly real.

Um if you can create something by simulating what we believe, quite strongly, to occur in nature, then yes, physics can create it

When creating an iron sword, we aren't attempting to mimic nature, we are attempting to mould nature to a use we created ourselves

And more importantly, my argument was that black holes exist, would you deny that iron swords exist simply because nature can't create them?
Quote by tushmeister
Um if you can create something by simulating what we believe, quite strongly, to occur in nature, then yes, physics can create it

When creating an iron sword, we aren't attempting to mimic nature, we are attempting to mould nature to a use we created ourselves

And more importantly, my argument was that black holes exist, would you deny that iron swords exist simply because nature can't create them?

Ok, bad example, I'll give you that, anything else you'd like to add?
I thought you can't actually SHOW a black hole simply because you can't actually see them with your eyes, but rather, see their distortion of gravity through advanced technology.

Visual, as in seeing an actual black hole, does not exist.
Rather, you can see recreations of what scientists BELIEVE they look like and
special tracking signatures of where they would be.
(Such as the theory that ALL galaxies have a super-super-massive black hole at the center of it, and being tracked as all major size galaxies having these at their center).

I guess believing if black holes exist or not is the same as the 9/11 conspiracy.
There is very powerful, revealing evidence, but nobody knows for certain.
You believe, or you don't.

Personally, due to the definition of a "black hole", I believe they exist.
Just because I can't visually see one doesn't mean I can't believe they aren't around.
The proof is there.

Quote by tushmeister

Yeah, that is a bad example, because black holes ARE, in fact, made by nature.
Death is nature.
Therefore the death of a star is nature.
Deaths of super-massive stars collapsing on themselves cause black holes.
Ergo, black holes are nature.

Comparing iron swords to black holes wasn't exactly smart
Last edited by MrDURPEEDURP at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
I thought you can't actually SHOW a black hole simply because you can't actually see them with your eyes, but rather, see their distortion of gravity through advanced technology.

Visual, as in seeing an actual black hole, does not exist.
Rather, you can see recreations of what scientists BELIEVE they look like and
special tracking signatures of where they would be.
(Such as the theory that ALL galaxies have a super-super-massive black hole at the center of it, and being tracked as all major size galaxies having these at their center).

I guess believing if black holes exist or not is the same as the 9/11 conspiracy.
There is very powerful, revealing evidence, but nobody knows for certain.
You believe, or you don't.

Personally, due to the definition of a "black hole", I believe they exist.
Just because I can't visually see one doesn't mean I can't believe they aren't around.
The proof is there.

If all galaxies had a super massive black hole at the centre, nothing would exist in the galaxy because it would have come from the centre of the galaxy and spread out to create the "arms" or the other things on it.

I'm not too sure about this next one but my old science teacher told me that at the centre of the galaxy, there's nothing. Like, literally nothing. Very hard to explain, I can sort of imagine it but it's so hard to explain.
Quote by XianXiuHong
If all galaxies had a super massive black hole at the centre, nothing would exist in the galaxy because it would have come from the centre of the galaxy and spread out to create the "arms" or the other things on it.

I'm not too sure about this next one but my old science teacher told me that at the centre of the galaxy, there's nothing. Like, literally nothing. Very hard to explain, I can sort of imagine it but it's so hard to explain.

You'll have to forgive me, because what I remember from it is quite vague.
But I remember something about there being a super-super-massive black hole
at the center of all MAJOR galaxies.
One of the things from the video was that black holes AREN'T just gigantic vacuums
and suck everything into it, but rather, they can regulate the orbital paths of stars and things that surround it.
Only when matter gets within a certain distance does it actually consume it.

Literally nothing huh? Everyone has their own theories I guess.
Nobody can actually make it to our center, it would take some odd 20,000years to do so
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
One of the things from the video was that black holes AREN'T just gigantic vacuums
and suck everything into it, but rather, they can regulate the orbital paths of stars and things that surround it.

Nobody can actually make it to our center, it would take some odd 20,000years to do so

MUCH Much more than 20,000 years, compared to our galaxy, we'd be less than the size of half a grain of rice.
Quote by XianXiuHong
MUCH Much more than 20,000 years, compared to our galaxy, we'd be less than the size of half a grain of rice.

I thought our galaxy was roughly 50,000light years....lol i'm dumb.

Isn't it like 200,000light years from end to end?

Compared to our galaxy I believe we'd be the size of a microbe.
The Earth is about 12,700km in diameter.

If the Milky Way is 100,000 light years across, that's 946,073,047,258,000,000km.

That's a ratio of 1:74,493,940,700,000.

1 grain of sand is between 1/16mm and 2mm in diameter.

Compared to Earth ...

That's only a ratio of about 1:127,000,000,000

Yeah, we're tiny.
Last edited by blue_strat at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by tushmeister

so fotons(=light particals) can't escape from black holes either, which makes them impossible to see for us..
but you can see how they disturb their suuroundings.. right?
pie..
pie?
PIE!!!
Last edited by afterlife24 at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by Donaldguitar
You can survive in a vacuum for atleast a couple of minutes.

A couple (as in 2+) seems a tad optimistic without some sort of protection (like a pressurised spacesuit, but then you aren't in a vacuum)

Anyways, TS, haven't you seen Event Horizon where the guy goes into the airlock?
Quote by nightraven
who else thought of the hitchhiker's guide here?

'human's can last blabla seconds in space, coincidently that figure is the phone number of the girl'

Silly, that's the chance of being picked up by a passing spaceship in the 90 seconds in space before you asphyxiate.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP

'Mr Worf, Warp 9 to the other end of the galaxy.'

SWOOSH!

Quote by Ed Hunter
Silly, that's the chance of being picked up by a passing spaceship in the 90 seconds in space before you asphyxiate.

30 seconds
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic