Page 1 of 2
Wich one should i buy?

The Roland Cube 15

or

The Line 6 Spider III
Even as an owner of the Spider III 15 watt i'd say cube. Even though I like the spider as my practice amp I think the Cube is better overall and probably more versatile.
'Mo Onions'
cube, I also own the spider III
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Line 6 has managed to produce a line of amps which (1) outsells everything else; but (2) nobody likes! The best advice seems to be: buy the Spider, enjoy the hell out of it, but never admit it.
Anybody who says the Cube is 100% WRONG!

Why?

They don't realize that the Cube 15 is the runt of the Cube series; it has NO AMP MODELING NOR EFFECTS!!!

It should really be called the Roland Bland Box 15.

Get the Microcube instead.

The Spider III is actually decent practice amp. It sounds like crap but it has lots of bells and whistles to play with.

I own the Cube 15. DON'T F*CKING BUY IT.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by steel337
Banana!

Modeling sucks on those...
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
microcube!

or cube 20x or 30 or 60
Last edited by Jaekae at Apr 3, 2008,
This is in the wrong forum. This should be in Guitar Gear & Accessories.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by J rock
the spider is a great practice amp

Really? Wow, your opinion is so widely shared by so many people. You must be right.
Get a cube. I'd say the Mircocube would be better as stated. It's quite loud too, so don't worry about that.
Really? Wow, your opinion is so widely shared by so many people. You must be right.
See what happens when you admit you like the Spider? This seems to be about the only no-no around here even worse than thinking a solid state amp offers something tubes can't that's worth having.

So I'd be the last one to admit I like the sound of the Ibanez through my Spider better than through my tube amp. Nope, not me. I wouldn't want to be laughed at by a bunch of 16-year-olds desperate for social reinforcement. I wanna pretend I'm just as tasteful as all the other kids.
I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp. It does things a solid state amp can't touch - and vice versa. So which one is better depends on which guitar I'm playing, and what style. Guitars and amps are tools best suited for certain purposes.

What I like about the Spider is that it makes a great super-digital, thin, harsh, artificial sort of sound just right for some things, and has the equivalent of a pedal board for effects built in. It also has a line-in that bypasses the pre-amp, turning it into a wonderful keyboard amp, very clean and very loud.

I suspect people are mostly complaining about the pre-amp part, not the power amp. I wouldn't claim any of the Line 6 models come particularly close to a tube sound. You want that sound, buy tubes. But just try to get that super-digital sound from your tubes!
Quote by Dirk Gently
This is in the wrong forum. This should be in Guitar Gear & Accessories.

Wow! Somebody needs to get over themselves...heh?

For practice...I would go with the MicroCube
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC1000 (w/ EMG 81 and 60)
ESP/LTD H500 (w/SD Custom 5 and 59)
Fender MIM Strat (basically my first. Never play it.)
Traynor YCV80 4x10
Peavey 6505 2x12 combo

Half Stacks are OVER-Rated
Quote by phank

What I like about the Spider is that it makes a great super-digital, thin, harsh, artificial sort of sound just right for some things, and has the equivalent of a pedal board for effects built in.

But just try to get that super-digital sound from your tubes!

A. I can think of no application for bad tone.

B. Yeah, cheap fizzy effects which cover up your mistakes and get beginners used to sloppy playing.

C. As I pointed out before, no one wants that super-digital sound.
Microcube.

All of you get out of your own ass, for £80 the spider 15 is not a bad deal, filled with effects and modelling to keep a newbie entertained. Its loud enough to jam with and will get you over a drummer in the right circumstances.

Of course, if you want tone, you could get a 5 watt valve amp in that price range, if you want a better modeler just for jamming on your own, go with the microcube.

The deal with the spiders and MGs is that they arent any more/less terrible than any other cheapo solidstate, providing it stays in the cheapo solid state range and you arent buying a 150 watt half stack. If thats the case, you just made an uneducated decision and its your own fault. >_>
A. I can think of no application for bad tone.
Nor can I. "Bad" is a value judgment. I do not share your judgment, for which I am thankful. Yeah, the Line 6 produces some sounds I would never dream of using for music (but would use for certain video game sound effects). But given the wide range of sounds available, this doesn't bother me any.

B. Yeah, cheap fizzy effects which cover up your mistakes and get beginners used to sloppy playing.
Is this how you use the sounds available? I agree there are effects available that CAN be misused. I'll even agree there are people who DO misuse effects. But do not assume that everyone else does so, even if some do, or even if they don't know how to avoid it. This is like saying that sports cars are "bad cars" because beginners can easily overdrive their skills and kill themselves. Not the fault of the car.

C. As I pointed out before, no one wants that super-digital sound.
And as I pointed out before, these things are selling like hotcakes. I suppose you could kid yourself that all of these sales are to beginners whose goal is sloppy careless playing, and who use nothing but the most distorted sound available. But in the real world, this isn't quite true. I personally think the super-digital sound has some considerable musical value, especially in the cleanest settings.

(Incidentally, have you played around at all with the new Spider Jam amp? This is a pure practice box as far as I can tell, but the sounds are quite good and the practice value is excellent. But to appreciate it, you must somehow overcome your reflexes and conditioning. If you can't do this, then of course this model is also "bad", no need to actually listen to it, right? You'd only hear what you expect anyway...)
Quote by Arthur_Jayz-G!
Even as an owner of the Spider III 15 watt i'd say cube. Even though I like the spider as my practice amp I think the Cube is better overall and probably more versatile.

You ruined it homo!

Cube.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Spider. The sound of the Cube sucks some serious anus.

And to the guy who said he likes the sound of his Spider over his Hot Rod Deluxe sometimes, I agree. There's just some sounds I can't get out of my Hot Rod that I can with my Spider.
I have a cube 20x so Id recommend the cube. Get the microcube though, it has more effects and better modeling..
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
micro banana cube
omg cyan bleeds my eyes
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Spiders are actually pretty okay, especially for the price, as long as the only thing you're interested in is brutal distortion.

Get a Microcube.
Page 1 of 2