I have to perfom Live and Let Die in a concert in a couple of months time, the Guns n' Roses version (im well aware that paul mccartney did the original). and was wondering, i cant get a good amp setting. i have a fender strat guitar and also a Creedence by Crafter (which is modeled on the '57 Les Paul junior). for effects i have a dunlop cry baby wah and a boss ds-2 turbo distortion pedal. any help would be much appreciated. also, which pickup should i use?
you will probably get people posting the same setting that is in slash's website, g6.5 m4 and a half, t7, b7 or whatever it is, but these setting dont sound close enough to me and i have a marshall jubilee and a dsl401, unfortunatly what sounds right on ones persons gear doesnt sound right on others
Knowing what amp you have would be a big, big help.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn the song first. Playing the song accurately with an ok tone beats a mediocre attempt with good tone. The audience will notice a poorly played song before poor tone.

Also, as stated above, what amp do you have? What pickups does your strat have and what pickups are in your "LP Jr"?
What amp?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
oh sorry, i was going to list but forgot. its a marshall mg250dfx. u mean make of pick up? or single coil or humbucker? the strat has single coil pick ups and the "LP jr" has humbuckers. and i can play the song well, its just the tone which is driving me mad
Quote by thedudemeister
oh sorry, i was going to list but forgot. its a marshall mg250dfx. u mean make of pick up? or single coil or humbucker? the strat has single coil pick ups and the "LP jr" has humbuckers. and i can play the song well, its just the tone which is driving me mad

i found the reason first!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i have an mg15cd and ill tell u how i get a good slash tone with that... on the guitar for rhythm and normal guns tone have tone rolled off to about 6-7 on neck pick up. For solo tone go on bridge pick up and roll the tone to 0 or there abouts. As to amp settings i would go gain 10, bass 4-6, mids 6, treble 10 and i wouldnt use your ds-2...

oh ye, and use ur guitar with humbuckers
Forget chasing Slash's tone, it's not going to happen.

Just find a tone that sounds nice and works with your equipment.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just use any good tone then.
Wait, it's an MG...

Just find what sounds halfway decent on your amp and go with it. You won't get slash's tone with that amp, so I'd just hang it up.
New amp maybe after this show?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
hmmmmm, i might get my teacher to help me. and im not gettin a new amp, ive had my amp for a yr and its a good amp. i also dont have enough cash for a bigger better amp
Quote by thedudemeister
hmmmmm, i might get my teacher to help me. and im not gettin a new amp, ive had my amp for a yr and its a good amp. i also dont have enough cash for a bigger better amp

Well, if you're happy with your amp, good for you!
Better yes, usually you don't want to go bigger. Any tube combo the size of the MG you have will probably be too loud.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
um wilmearz no offense but those settings aren't too great. BUT, for an MG, i guess they could be....

what you want is a tube amp. british voiced one if you could choose. an epi valve junior or small blackheart would be the cheapest (still with good tone) to go w/. that plus a good amount of gain (not necessarily too much, slash is always changin how much gain he uses live and such).

Bass: 6 or 7 Mids: 8 treble: 5 or 6 (you NEED to have high mids, his tone is similar to santanna's-very smoooooth and creamy)

and for gain....i wouldn't know on an MG. for the most part his stuff has quite a bit of gain but at the same time he switches pups a lot and definitely manipulates his volume and tone knobs quite a bit in songs.

the LP junior will work better than the strat for G N R. though if the jr. uses P-90 style pups (does it?) then it's not gonna be quite there. you need regular humbuckers. but his sound is beefy and full of sustain, so that LP should be quite a bit closer to his sound than the strat.

a tube amp will do you wonders, not JUST for a similar tone to slash, but for a similar tone to just about ANYONE you would like to emulate songs from. and most of all....for YOU. just keep in mind that getting a tube amp will happen sooner or later, cuz that MG is gonna start sounding thin within the next year or so i bet! just wait till you play it next to a friend's really nice tube combo or stack lol.

i hope i helped some!
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
ye,ye its ok slash_rocks2005 they arnt meant to be great, its just the nearest i could get to a slash tone on an mg!

and ts if you dont want to get a new valve combo right now, like some have been suggesting, then possibly a multi fx pedal could get a better slash tone then your mg alone? I would look into it.
i tried wilmearz dial in on my fender frontman 15g and it worked perfectly and marshalls are known to be excacly the same as a fender frontman except give a warmer ton e so try making treble at 10, mid at 6 and bass at about 5
oh and put neck pickup tone at about 6ish 7ish and put the bridge tone all the way down to zero.

also since the overdrive on my amp is to warm and tuby i use a danelectro fab metal pedal at a tiny bit not to make it sound metal but to make the overdrive more bright. i use the clean setting on my amp(obviously) with the danelectro fab metal pedal and the tone is about 1 oclockish 2 oclockish maybe even 3 and the gain is about 9-11 oclockish and volumne doesnt really matter but i keep my volume at about what looks like halfway so there you go.

Hope this helps because it works perfect for me
oh and i use a dunlop crybaby wah GCB-96 and its same thing as slash one except it doesnt have distortion so id go with mine its less expensive and the danelectro fab metal pedal is 20 dollars which is a suprise because it delivers great tone so either way tahts my amp and my rig for slash tone
Quote by wilmearz
i have an mg15cd and ill tell u how i get a good slash tone with that... on the guitar for rhythm and normal guns tone have tone rolled off to about 6-7 on neck pick up. For solo tone go on bridge pick up and roll the tone to 0 or there abouts. As to amp settings i would go gain 10, bass 4-6, mids 6, treble 10 and i wouldnt use your ds-2...

oh ye, and use ur guitar with humbuckers

periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

I didnt try these settings, but i had an mg and i know gain on 10 is pretty damn high. Definatly too high for slash, and also the treble on 10 i think would sound thin. Try his settings and then work with the gain and treble a little to dial it in.
can anyone tell me what settings i should have on a fender frontman 15g amp. i have treble, bass,middle,gain,drive volume,normal volume
Bumping old threads, and threads asking for settings advice are both against forum rules. Read the rules.

Also Guns 'n Roses chokes on donkey balls.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!