Why is it that when I lower my action on my Strat, the sustain and tone on the upper frets are really crap, and it sounds like I'm picking hard (it also feels like it too). I tried an Ibanez (not sure which model, a Jackson DK2M (something like that) and a Gibson Les Paul today at the music store, had pretty low action, it was perfectly 'tappable' (for me ) and the upper frets sounded fine, normal sustain...

And another question, the bridge of my Stratocaster was 'floating', it was on an angle, being pulled on by the strings - why was it like that? I lowered it by screwing the 2 screws in the back and now that it's lowered, the strings seem a lot more stiff and is harder to bend - ??

Thanks
Last edited by myearshurt at Apr 3, 2008,
Its because the string youre pressing down touches more then one fret, meaning the action is -too- low. You get the same effect if you detune your guitar too much. You can only reduce your action a little bit by adjusting the bridge saddle height, before you get bad sounds from it...if you want easier playability, get lighter gauge strings, its probably what the guitars you played have...or they might have had jumbo frets, which means the frets are higher so you dont need to press down as much to play them.

I dunno why your bridge was like that...take the plate off the back off...make sure the springs are in there properly...if you take them all out, the bridge will float and you can do upbends, playing it will be harder though. I cant imagine that lowering it would make it stiffer/harder to bend though...it should make it easier, maybe someone else can help you with that part.
Quote by Arycama
make sure the springs are in there properly...if you take them all out, the bridge will float and you can do upbends

Dude, if you remove all the springs from the back the string tension will probably snap the bridge clean off the body.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
Normally it's at a slight angle, the back of the bridge should be about half a centimeter (about 2/10 inch, i think) above the body.
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
the bridge has to be flat in "normal" position.
also, be sure to regulate the leght of each string, when you do these changes. it corrects the harmonics, and is well described in the strat user manual (available on-line too)
timeo abstemios et dona ferentes

- lovermate: fender american stratocaster sunburnst
- powermate: marshall mg 30 dfx

- seiko tuner (sooo useful)
- korg metronome (keep fingers bleeding...)
u mean - lucy'ier?
in my opinion
tighten 6 screws on bridge 1,6,2,5,34 yo....on strat anyway
restring to .09s or maybe .10. let sit and adjust and wham it to force the strings to tune out for ear adjustment- later
let sit
after favorite string gauge is on, then add/modif/subtract/change springs that pull bridge block (in back of) to strat pos. (mid) - then tighten, tune, or replace strings to tune
then replace/ add / remove / trem claw springs if needed yo

i know it seems redundant but is your st*uff can make it thru this without changing strings than go mo fo dude...

imo i am not the fender expert so listen to what other say please only telling on what i do sometimes...

ffs
;

;