Page 1 of 2
How long were you guys playing for before you learnt one of these solos?:
Sweet child o mine
November rain (Outro)
Enter sandman

I picked these songs because they are around the same difficulty, and are popular solos which i'm pretty sure most of you would have learned at least one of them earlier on. I just wanna know how long you were playing guitar for when you got one of these solos down pat?
-I never learned them.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
I learned Enter Sandman around two years after I picked up the guitar, but I didn't even attempt to practice my lead skills (or anything other than power chords) for the until after the first year. There's no reason you couldn't do it earlier.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Der Bomber
-I never learned them.

meh tOO
Dean ML79F w/ Dimarzio X2N
Peavey Star
Fender Sonoran
Fender CD 140S12

Quote by Jastul
if you want it to sound really dirty just rub some dirt on your amp...
Quote by Liger02
Sweet child: took me 2days (whole song)
November rain: never been interested
Enter sandman: I don't really listen to metal

I mean time playong guitar?
Quote by Liger02

2days for the rhythm part?
Quote by disillusia
Originally Posted by Liger02

solo only I can't hear the rhythm clearly

Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
I mean time playong guitar?

1 1/2 years
You guys may have mistaken me, i meant to say when you mastered on of these songs, how long had you been playing guitar at that moment.
Why do you want to know that? Try learning them, if it doesn't work, give it a rest for a while. That's what I did with all these Maiden songs, learned halves, then I just forgot about them until now when I can play them after one listen pretty much. If you keep developing your ears and learning new things all the time, and really learn to listen and compare different players, you could rip a lot of these solos on first try without much effort.
just was curious, i wanted to see if i was learning guitar at the normal rate, as i tried sweet child o mine, i got the whole song down pat, but the last bit of the solo really sttuffed me up, so yeah.

Anyway, thanks guys.
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
just was curious, i wanted to see if i was learning guitar at the normal rate, as i tried sweet child o mine, i got the whole song down pat, but the last bit of the solo really sttuffed me up, so yeah.

Anyway, thanks guys.

You should progress at the rate you're comfortable with. If you don't get stoked by practicing scales for eight hours a day, then don't do it. Keeping it exciting is the most important part of being a musician, and it's often overlooked when you just want to be able to shred like Yngwie and feel obligated to practice till the cows come home.

Learning a simple Beatles song can be ten times more musically developing than practicing a six string sweep for weeks without eating or sleeping.
never did, improvised my own on them, way more fun!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Quote by ValoRhoads
never did, improvised my own on them, way more fun!

It's more fun, but generally much less developing. Trying to mimic another guitarist's way of playing and composing is much more challenging than just playing licks that you already know and that you feel really comfortable with and could play in your sleep. You may come up with a new cool thing once in a while but it's nothing compared to learning from someone who has a completely different way of thinking than you.
I once started "november rain" but never finished it. But I think I would have been able to do it, just if I had kept interest and kept practicing.

Was playing 3 years at the time
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Last edited by cortez0 at Apr 3, 2008,
Been playing 18 years, and I still can't play that fast widdly bit in the SCOM solo
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
How long were you guys playing for before you learnt one of these solos?:
Sweet child o mine
November rain (Outro)
Enter sandman

never
never
definitely never

i use to like gnr in high school, never listen to them now. loved metallica, always hated enter sandman.

more importantly.. i dont learn solos. most are pentatonic box patterns anyway.
Quote by Sabaren
never
never
definitely never

i use to like gnr in high school, never listen to them now. loved metallica, always hated enter sandman.

Translation
"I'm not good enough to play solos."
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I think about a 2yrs into playing I attempted Sandman. idk if I learned it tho.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
\/\/AC\/DC\/\/\ , How long have you been playing man?

My suggestion is, before you start trying to learn those crazy solos, try something more felt, like a blues solo, something like Eric Clapton. Learn some of those, and then learning any other solo will come smoothly and sweetly, because you'll understand soloing more. You'll prolly end up making it more fun because you could improvise the solo more easily and make it fun for everyone to listen, as well as play.
Is it wrong to make references to /b/ memes in MT?

Yes. I are serious cat, this are serious thread.
I think I've learned maybe three solos in my entire life. One was Livin on the Edge by Aerosmith. I can't remember what the others were.... long time ago. One was by Kyuss or UFO or Michael Schenker Group or something like that.

That doesn't mean I can't play leads. I know all my modes, the fretboard upside down and inside out, etc. I've just never really been all that interested in learning other people's solos.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by steven seagull
Translation
"I'm not good enough to play solos."

i learned a few crappy songs the first few years i was playing. now instead of wasting effort learning solos i put that into my own material.

sorry if writing my own stuff makes me 'not good enough', ive seen tabs for plenty of leads and they are boring as hell.
Quote by Sabaren
sorry if writing my own stuff makes me 'not good enough', ive seen tabs for plenty of leads and they are boring as hell.

Judging by your statement, it's the music you listen to that's "boring as hell".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
okay lets flame my playing here, who else wants to? lets make this thread more off topic.

sorry but i have no need to defend myself, i play what i feel, not what i listen to. i use to listen to songs and be intrigued and like many guitarists, try to play what i heard, but once you understand what they actually are doing you tend to move on.

now are we done trying to make ourselves feel better here?
Quote by Sabaren
okay lets flame my playing here, who else wants to? lets make this thread more off topic.

sorry but i have no need to defend myself, i play what i feel, not what i listen to. i use to listen to songs and be intrigued and like many guitarists, try to play what i heard, but once you understand what they actually are doing you tend to move on.

now are we done trying to make ourselves feel better here?

You can't play on "feel". You need to use theory, and understand how to use intervals to translate feelings, but listening to and learning other solos is quite beneficial. If you played what you "felt" it would almost always sound terrible.

I have not learned any of those solos. I absolutely hate Sweet Child O Mine. November Rain sounds decent, but is a very long song to learn, and I would rather learn other things if I'm going to take that much time on a piece. Enter Sandman is not a particularly good song in my opinion as it was their first commercially successful song, and largely attributed to them becoming mainstream.
Quote by Sabaren
i learned a few crappy songs the first few years i was playing. now instead of wasting effort learning solos i put that into my own material.

sorry if writing my own stuff makes me 'not good enough',

if it's any consolation to you, I'm with you. I play tons of solos, but they're always for our own original material. I've taken the time, learned the theory, etc., and applied that to my own material. Not that hard. Especially, I guess, compared to getting a degree in classical guitar. Maybe *that* counts as learning other people's solos....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
How about we get back on topic.

Sweet Child O' Mine: I had been playing for almost 2 years before I did it, but I was never really into GNR.

November Rain: I'm not a big fan of this song so I haven't learned it yet.

Enter Sandman: Now you are speaking my language. I grew up loving Metallica. I learned all of Enter Sandman after playing for about 6 months.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Im learnin sweet child now. and im been playin guitar 2 years now.
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Quote by Sabaren
never

<.< ... >.>

Dude... that statement is wrong on so many levels.

I mean WOW!

Seriously...
I learnt Enter Sandman because I thought it would make me a better guitarist. Needless to say it didn't. I know understand that learning a solo note for note won't help you improvise in the slightest.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by SmashThings
I learnt Enter Sandman because I thought it would make me a better guitarist. Needless to say it didn't. I know understand that learning a solo note for note won't help you improvise in the slightest.

Then you're mistaken.

Everything you learn that you didn't know previously benefits you in some way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Then you're mistaken.

Everything you learn that you didn't know previously benefits you in some way.

Sorry but 'learning' a solo rather defeats the purpose of improvising, no?
Quote by rabidguitarist
Please don't ruin this thread. Transvestitism is serious business.
Quote by SmashThings

Not necessarily, it will give you ideas about phrasing, rhythm & dynamics. In addition to leaning the solo, pay attention to the chords the lines are being played over. That way instead of just copying a solo, you'll be able to apply what you learned from the solo to other contexts as well. Ultimately mixing the influences you have together will help to develop your own voice, which arguably happens subconsciously anyway whether you learn solos note for note or not
Never learned any of those solos, I hate GnR and I hate Metallica.

Im pretty lazy when it comes to learning solos tbh, I have to really like a song to be bothered to learn the solo
Quote by SmashThings

No. All solos were written. Therefore understand how they are written and why will help you when writing, as you can use things that you learn by learning the solos.

Improvising is essentially just "writing" something in your head and playing it as you right it in real time.
Page 1 of 2