I was told Db tuning is half step down. Im confused. Would that mean its like 1 quarter turn while tuning it or what? Tuning it tighter or looser? Help me out please. I have the ozzy osbourne song dreamer down with standard tuning but I'm not sure how to tune to Drop Db.
it's 1 and a half steps down actualy....but someone will tell you how
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Db would be one and a half steps down right?

or do you mean Drop d?

anyways.. you have to tune the strings 'looser' but the amount depends on your guitar/action/strings etc etc. Unless you know how to tune with pitches or harmonics you would need a tuner.

isnt this song in E Standard anyway
Hi

Quote by iceman95
Fiddler is a god!!!! omg that's a good movie
Thanks, but how many quarter turns while tuning it is a half step down? or 1? or 1 1/2? Only been playing 3-4 months.
Quote by Fiddler
Db would be one and a half steps down right?

or do you mean Drop d?

anyways.. you have to tune the strings 'looser' but the amount depends on your guitar/action/strings etc etc. Unless you know how to tune with pitches or harmonics you would need a tuner.

isnt this song in E Standard anyway

Apparently not. See?: http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/ozzy_osbourne/dreamer_tab.htm
if by quarter turns you mean actually turning the key 90 degrees.... it would depend on the things i said above, it's not a set amount.
Hi

Quote by iceman95
looking at the tab its Dropped Db

so low e is down 1 and half, the others are only down half
Hi

Quote by iceman95
I think you guys are working with a dumbass here but I'll work on it. I understand some of it. If I cant figure it out, I'll ask some guitarist friends of mine. Thanks.
Hi EclipseMoon!

Welcome to UG. I see you only have one other post, so you're still a newbie.

This forum is not for guitar questions.
It's for advice on UG procedures and rules, navigating the different UG forums, and user control panel

Please read Important: New Members FAQ
Scroll down to the second post and you'll find a list of forums and their purpose.
You would want to start a thread like this in Guitar & Bass Basics.

Be sure to go back to that FAQ thread when you have questions.
The answer you need might already be there, and you won't even have to wait for a reply.
Also please read the rules in the thread that is also stickied at the top of this forum.

You'll make many friends here on UG. But those two threads are a newbie's best friend!

peACE,
SYK

EDIT:

Thread has been moved to the proper home in G&BB.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by nightraven

Db Ab Ab Gb Bb Eb

It would actually be Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. Each "b" stands for "flat". It's drop d (drop the low E string to D, which is one step down) and then drop all the strings down half a step.

you can do it by ear, but for beginners a tuner is so much easier.
Quote by nightraven
edit- syk, tut tut, this thread is in the right place + stealing steve's peACE?! + nvm, just saw it was moved.
Yeah, I've been bamboozled by a moving thread.

And I figure if you're gonna steal, steal something with some style.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by nightraven
that's what i thought, but apparently the Db is also dropped further. that's what the tab linked earlier states at least.

edit- syk, tut tut, this thread is in the right place + stealing steve's peACE?! + nvm, just saw it was moved.

It's not dropped further. Right below Db is C, and it's not a drop C tuning.
Quote by nightraven
i'm talking about the d string, which would be normally flattened, but with this tuning it's tuned further down to Ab.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/o/ozzy_osbourne/dreamer_tab.htm

have i done/said something very stupid?

i thought you meant the low E string dropped further down than Db.

i don't know what tuning that is, all i know is that drop d half step down is:

Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
Quote by nightraven
that explains it then, my initial post protested a bit about the obscurity of the tuning specified at the beginning, some songs do that, combining three tunings or so

thanks for clearing that up

glad i could be of assistance . if you look at when the tab starts, you'll see each letter tuning for each string, and there it has the correct tuning. i guess whoever tabbed it out was typing too fast and wrote "Ab" instead of "Db".
Quote by EclipseMoon
Ha! My other tuner has a flat button on it! I just remembered.

That flat button will be very helpful later on.....I used to do all my drop and down tunings by ear and I'd always be a little bit off...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls