So I re-strung my Floyd with a new set up 10 gauge boomers, same gauge as before. Well my problem is not only is the Floyd now leaning more towards the back of the guitar then being level, it's not staying in tune. It even started unwinding part of the low E string inside of the saddle and shot up an unwound string end. So now I have a Floyd that not only won't stay in tune, even after I stretched the strings over a course of three hours, but a useless bottom E string. Any ideas?

The way I string the Floyd is I cut the balls off the strings, stick the end where I cut the ball of in the straddle, tighten it up, and then run it through to the pegs. I put on the locking nut after I get it in tune, same tuning as before, standard E, then I fine tune the pegs with a pair of pliers cause I can't fit my fat fingers. And after playing for a good five ten minutes, it will go out of tune, and now as you see, I have a semi-unwound string.
could just be because they are new strings and are still stretching
I sat next to a nun on the bus once, she said hi

Twitter: @Pikey_P - wise words right there.
Sounds like it's not so much an issue with the Floyd but the strings themselves. I've heard of similar issues with Ernie Ball Slinkies, in that they're too "slinky" and can cause problems when used with Floyd style tremolos.

Other things you might want to try is tightening the saddle a little more where it clamps down on the low E. Maybe you didn't have enough of the string end inside the saddle when you tightened it. Or, I've been watching a number of different videos on this (as I have my own first, OFR on my latest guitar) and they string the guitar "backwards." Meaning the thread the guitar through the tuners first (without clipping the ball end) and pull it tight to the bridge. The string is then cut (length deteremined by pulling the string to the end of where the fine tuners are, inserted into the saddles and then tightened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Apr 3, 2008,
Replace the unwound string thats useless. Stretch the strings FULLY, stretch it outwards at the 12th fret and retune and repeat etc.

Most importantly you now have to balance the bridge. Finding a floyd balancing guide won't be too hard if you use the powers of google :P check theres no streching left in strings, fully tune then check the trems balance once more.

Lock nut quite tight *not too tight though* Check fine tuning. Play for a few hours and see if theres any change in the bridge balance, tuning *this will probs be out because of remaining string strech etc.

As for how it unwound I'm not too sure, saddle not tight enoughs the most likely answer.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Quote by Hakael
Sounds like it's not so much an issue with the Floyd but the strings themselves. I've heard of similar issues with Ernie Ball Slinkies, in that they're too "slinky" and can cause problems when used with Floyd style tremolos.

Other things you might want to try is tightening the saddle a little more where it clamps down on the low E. Maybe you didn't have enough of the string end inside the saddle when you tightened it. Or, I've been watching a number of different videos on this (as I have my own first, OFR on my latest guitar) and they string the guitar "backwards." Meaning the thread the guitar through the tuners first (without clipping the ball end) and pull it tight to the bridge. The string is then cut (length deteremined by pulling the string to the end of where the fine tuners are, inserted into the saddles and then tightened.

I'll look for one of the videos I was watching and post it here momentarily.

Thanks man, I've actually heard of this technique before, but disregarded it as I was just excited to play my first Floyd. Luckily I have <b>1</b> more package of strings left, so hopefully this string set won't unravel and stay in tune!!
Quote by Dithindious
Replace the unwound string thats useless. Stretch the strings FULLY, stretch it outwards at the 12th fret and retune and repeat etc.

Most importantly you now have to balance the bridge. Finding a floyd balancing guide won't be too hard if you use the powers of google :P check theres no streching left in strings, fully tune then check the trems balance once more.

Lock nut quite tight *not too tight though* Check fine tuning. Play for a few hours and see if theres any change in the bridge balance, tuning *this will probs be out because of remaining string strech etc.

As for how it unwound I'm not too sure, saddle not tight enoughs the most likely answer.

Thanks, I'm actually out of batteries so I can't take a picture, but the best way to describe it is the string started unwinding from the actual smaller string inside. I will try this and get back to you, hopefully it works, otherwise I am SOL.
Could be worn post and/or knife edges and/or worn nut clamps. Check the trem posts to see if they are worn. Even the slightest sign of wear will cause the floyd to return to a different position when you use the whammy. If they are worn, a temporary fix is to rotate them to a position that isn't worn. If it's worn knife edge your best bet is to file them down with the softest file you can find. You'll also want to lube this area to reduce friction wear. It could also be the nut clamps. If they have grooves in them, they cause the strings to slide and return to a different position after using the whammy. It's important to not overtighten them. I've found that they are made of a softer metal than the bridge and are easy to cut grooves into them accidentally. You can also file those down too.

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah