so, i know theres about 136 (or 142 for that matter - cookie for whoever gets it) different brands/types - which ones the best?

i want something like early clapton, duane allman, peter green, jimmy page, lenny kravitz, ac/dc would be like gain-max, lynyrd skynyrd, neil young, clean id like to get something like californication - so like blues stuff a warm, nice P.A.F sound really...

so far i looked into

- bareknuckle of course
- stephens design
- amber pickups (german brand)
- gibsons stuff
- seymour duncan (but only like their..non-custom models)

and i cant! decide...help?

guitar is a very nice epiphone les paul classic quilt top btw, amp a fender champ 600

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Denthúl
^ Tried seeing if CorduroyEW would do anything like that for you?

i checked his website, but havent actually talked to him, no...i should do that

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Yes. Yes you should!

There's also Wizard Pickups, Bulldog Pickups and even Kent Armstrong (if you want to go fairly cheap). I've never tried anything from Bulldog, but I seem to remember Dave_Mc mentioning them a while back. I don't know if he's tried them or not, though.

what about Stewmacs golden age humbuckers?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Look at GFS pickups or Stew Mac Golden Age pickups. Some ppl on here have em, and they seem to be some of the least expensive and most versatile PAF pickups.
From what I've heard on the Plexi Palace/Mojave forums, the best value out there is High Order pickups:
http://www.highorderpickups.com/Gear_Page_files/Pickup%20Info%20Sheet%20Oct%2005.pdf
Jeff can make clones of anything you want, with switchable magnets to fine tune your tone, & the prices are dirt cheap. He even copies the Duncan Model 78 EVH & the Tom Holmes model 455 (I bought a real 455 from Tom Holmes in Tennessee, & it's fantastic-but it cost $230 US for ONE. The High Order is <1/3 the cost).
Also the WCR pickups are uber-sweet. Many PAF lovers use their Darkburst model.
Remember that whatever magnets you choose, Alnico 5 will have a brighter tone than say, an Alnico 2.
BTW-The Holmes 455 is what Mojave Amp Works modeled their pickup after, & it's by far the best pickup I've heard anywhere. Unfortunately, Mojave's pickup maker is no longer producing those gems. I was lucky enough to get one of Mojave's last ones.
Good luck shopping!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
As mentioned, there are a bazillion different "PAF style" pickups, but something to remember is that the original PAFs weren't potted and were unintentionally (and randomly) offset wound. Another note is that there was no grading for the magnets either. That said, Stephens Design has the best PAF clones I've ever heard.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^its tempting...he seems like a really nice guy
and what he says about the way he makes them, it really makes me think theyre best

but, someone i know (starts with a g.a.b.e.l.) is saying mules...and i think he has a point, cuz they just sound great either

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

I've talked to Cord about PAFs. He doesn't do them as far as I know. Stephens Design makes the best PAFs in the business because of all the time and research he puts into them and I think Cord would tell you about the same thing. I'd go with the SD Platinum PAFs myself. I want to get a set for my PRS to replace my too-mellow McCartys.

Have you checked out Dave Stephens' video clips for the Platinum PAFs?
Hi, I'm Peter
^thats cool

congrats on mod-ship btw!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Thanks

I'm trying to get back into actively posting around the site and not let the Pit completely devour my UG life.
Hi, I'm Peter

i can imagine...lotsa stuff to clean up in there

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^i really want to stay away from mass-produced stuff...even though they WILL be put into an epiphone. i like that guitar and wont ever (as far as i can look into the future atm) own a gibson because a) theyre really expensive (the good ones that is) and b) my epi just felt better to me than even 3000 buck customs
other than that, like dave stephens said - mass producers dont have a chance of copying the PAF as close as custom builders
closest to mass-produced id go is the duncan antiquities tbh

and this is seriously not about me wanting to spend lotsa money cuz its "cool" - its because i feel like i'll get the better tone out of custom stuff

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by Dirk Gently

i did actually, and was quite happy that even he didnt have em in a "real" (as in gibson) LP

they sounded quite great as well

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
^i really want to stay away from mass-produced stuff...even though they WILL be put into an epiphone. i like that guitar and wont ever (as far as i can look into the future atm) own a gibson because a) theyre really expensive (the good ones that is) and b) my epi just felt better to me than even 3000 buck customs
other than that, like dave stephens said - mass producers dont have a chance of copying the PAF as close as custom builders
closest to mass-produced id go is the duncan antiquities tbh

and this is seriously not about me wanting to spend lotsa money cuz its "cool" - its because i feel like i'll get the better tone out of custom stuff

Well, I suppose if you feel they'll make that much of a difference...Rock on

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

check out irongear.co.uk for pickups. they sell em for £25 delivered each for buckers and the ones in my epi lp sound amazing. trust. you dont need to pay for a name brand to get a good sound.
Thank you please.
Stephens Design. Cord says they're the best anywhere. Seems like a good company, well worth looking into.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^wheres gabe convincing me of the mules again

ill email tim in a while asking what he thinks which one of his pickups would be best...and ill talk to dave too...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

any other recommendations?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by Dirk Gently
I've talked to Cord about PAFs. He doesn't do them as far as I know. Stephens Design makes the best PAFs in the business because of all the time and research he puts into them and I think Cord would tell you about the same thing. I'd go with the SD Platinum PAFs myself. I want to get a set for my PRS to replace my too-mellow McCartys.

I actually have something on my website that says that Dave makes the most accurate sounding PAF's I have ever heard so if you are going for 100% true (good) PAF tone (there were a lot of PAF's that sounded like dogs) then go with SD pickups

I am doing PAF's again too but they arn't on my website yet. The reason I wasn't doing them is because I couldn't find anybody in the Europe or the UK that would sell me PE wire that was of any resonable quality (most would sell you poly wire that had black dye in it) but I have given in and imported the wire from MWS which is the same wire that Dave uses as well as Tim at BKP. I also mill my own keeper bars and make my own slugs so that I can get the chemical compsitions of the metals just right. My PAF's are different than Gibson's because they are hand wound. Mine have more of a flat tonal responce which makes them seem more dynamic and touch sisnitive. It also makes the high end less glassy. If you want a hand wound version of a vintage PAF then give me a shout.

Quote by hendriko
i want something like early clapton, duane allman, peter green, jimmy page, lenny kravitz, ac/dc would be like gain-max, lynyrd skynyrd, neil young, clean id like to get something like californication - so like blues stuff a warm, nice P.A.F sound really...

I feel I should also point out that Peter Green had a neck pickup with formvar wire and an alnico 2 magnet that was put in upside down making his neck and bridge pickups out of phase. If you want the Peter Green sound look into BKP's PG blues pickups or my Smooth Heritage. I can do it with an alnico 2 magnet. I'd suggest not making it out of phase with the bridge though. Too restrictive as far as I'm concerned.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Apr 5, 2008,
I would go with High Order pickups. The guy who owns them is the nicest dude in the universe, and will wind absolutely anything for you, and he's cheaper than alot of other brands (largely because he's only a small business at the moment." Just tell him the tone you want, read through his site carefully and be on your way.
Quote by hendriko

what about Stewmacs golden age humbuckers?

I used them for like 3 months last year. They're nice and all with some vintage flavor. They got kind of compressed at higher volumes which I didn't like. The mids were nice and punchy. Kind of hot though for what I would call a PAF. Considering the names you got in that first post I wouldn't worry about them. :P

I LOVE the Anitquities however!
Here is our Mule fanatic. There are two reasons I would advice against SD:
1. Being more expensive, since it's from the US, you have to pay import taxes. This would mean an additional €50 or so for you. That's what sucks, you have to pay DOUBLE taxes, first taxes for the US price and THEN for importing into Europe.
2. Waiting time: There is roughly 2-3 months wait for pickups, psossibly more because he has so many orders.

These were the two main reasons I didn't order from him. I didn't want to wait that long for a pair of pickups. And neither did I want to pay additional taxes for them.

Secondly, The Mules are yet to be mentioned. I have them an I must say they are fantastic pups. Tim Mills of BK has done LOADS of research too, even payin Seth Lover a visit to ask questions, searching through Gibsons archives and so on. And these pickups are perfect for the tones that you want. I have never played a real PAF, so I can't vouch for those. But the Mules might not be exact copies of the original PAFs, they are copies of the PAF sound. Imagine like when some people talk about organs today (digital) Hammond's version is said to be close to a B3 and then Nord's being close to what the B3 sounds like on a record. For me, I wanted the PAF sound like the ones on my CDs and the BKs can definetly do that. Also I like the fact that they are based in Europe, no risk for import taxes or additional fees, fast delivery (Tim wires them VERY fast too, got mine in less than a week) and most of all keep in mind that since they are based in Europe, there will be way less risk of things getting bad if you have issues.

It's up to you, but IMO here in Europe BKs are a better deal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by CorduroyEW
I actually have something on my website that says that Dave makes the most accurate sounding PAF's I have ever heard so if you are going for 100% true (good) PAF tone (there were a lot of PAF's that sounded like dogs) then go with SD pickups

I am doing PAF's again too but they arn't on my website yet. The reason I wasn't doing them is because I couldn't find anybody in the Europe or the UK that would sell me PE wire that was of any resonable quality (most would sell you poly wire that had black dye in it) but I have given in and imported the wire from MWS which is the same wire that Dave uses as well as Tim at BKP. I also mill my own keeper bars and make my own slugs so that I can get the chemical compsitions of the metals just right. My PAF's are different than Gibson's because they are hand wound. Mine have more of a flat tonal responce which makes them seem more dynamic and touch sisnitive. It also makes the high end less glassy. If you want a hand wound version of a vintage PAF then give me a shout.

I feel I should also point out that Peter Green had a neck pickup with formvar wire and an alnico 2 magnet that was put in upside down making his neck and bridge pickups out of phase. If you want the Peter Green sound look into BKP's PG blues pickups or my Smooth Heritage. I can do it with an alnico 2 magnet. I'd suggest not making it out of phase with the bridge though. Too restrictive as far as I'm concerned.

thanks for the info, ill definitely consider it

as of now, everythings speculation - nothing serious so far, im just checking what options i have
i will however try to get a little more precise about what tone i really want and then talk to you, tim and dave just to see what kinda answers i get

^we talked about that, yea
thanks for posting though

nobody can give me any info on the duncan antiquities?
i think im down to courd, SD, bkp, or those antiquities as of now
still a lot to choose from

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

bmup?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame