If an old amp is faulty, can you ever get a shock through the guitar? Its something ive always wondered as I like vintage guitars but dont know if vintage amps are actually safe. cheers.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
didnt the greatful dead get shocks whenever they touched their strings at woodstock

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^i think that was more because of a grounding issue with their guitars though...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I believe yes. Very old amps can do that. You must have grounding issues with the guitar too I believe. But I believe you can get them modded so they're safer (changing the power cable to a newer one or something?), and I believe it's like amps from the 30's or 40's, not like 60's or 70's.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I had an old ampeg with a 2 prong non polarized plug. it liked to zap me every once in a while. Not while playing guitar, when you fiddled with the amp when it was on. A cord from home depot fixed it.
Quote by hendriko
didnt the greatful dead get shocks whenever they touched their strings at woodstock

That happened to me at a rooftop party once. The amp was terrible and my guitar's grounding was pretty dodgy. I was on fire
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
The power cable needs to be replaced on most, with a grounded one. This is a standard mod, really. Done on both my amps (although one may have had the right cable from the start).
Quote by hendriko

I hate when that happens with mics. :/
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
ahh, i used to get really bad shocks when i'd jam with the power in a friends shed but it was never anything with my guitar my guitar was always very safely grounded...