Page 1 of 3
when your with someone and you have your bass what song/riff would you play to show you your a good bassist?
any suggestions?
A good one. good ones always work, they are ftw.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
Some of Coheed's stuff is pretty impressive, or some Tool, or Chili Peppers, Or just kinda wing it and make some **** up.
to show your a good bassist, play a song on a electric guitar to show them your not a one trick ponybassplayer
if youre playing bass, try some older stuff. most of todays music doesnt have a tough bass

try slow ride by foghat. good bassline in that song
Quote by skywayavenue
if youre playing bass, try some older stuff. most of todays music doesnt have a tough bass

try slow ride by foghat. good bassline in that song

Yeah, it's good, but not really impressive, It's mostly ridin steady eighths, except for that like 20 seconds where it's different.
I tend not to be caught up in trying to impress people by playing anything special. If I'm auditioning for a band, I'll listen through their songs a couple of times to get familiar, and then just play.

I personally couldn't give two sh*ts how someone rates me as a bassist. The guy who sits in a guitar shop and just tries to play to show off when trying out basses gets no respect from me.
Chili Peppers would be some good stuff to play, Flea normally has some good bass lines.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ebay Help > asking a dog for help > The Pit

Quote by brady12345
dude, you have a camera, go kick some people in the nuts and run
ya rhcp would do wonders for wannabes but will they be able to play rhcp hell no hehehehe.....so take nirvana songs and everybdy is impressed
Play Donna Lee!

I'm not big on impressing people anyway, I prefer to make them MOVE.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
To show someone your really good play DT or some wooten

EDIT: You might want a six string for Dream Theater
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Flea's stuff isn't really THAT hard, dude...

ahhh dude i refered this for wannabes
if someone wants to show his finger movement and impress others by his speed then i would recommend dying fetus' song praise the lord
Hold a tight and steady groove, that will impress all the musicians that have any idea what they're talking about.

Again, I'm with Delirium and Jazzy on this one, I really couldn't care less about how people rate me, if you get caught up in trying to impress people, you'll never get very far with your playing.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
When I want to impress someone with my bass I just whip it out and say "Look how big it is!"
I agree with the consensus that playing to show off is a bit dick-wadish

but lacquer head always seems to impress non-bassists

least that's what I've found
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I dunno, I tend to side with Ben on this one. I don't much care what the guy sitting over thinks of my bass playing. In the end it doesn't prove anything.

Quote by Welsh Guitar
'm not big on impressing people anyway, I prefer to make them MOVE

When asked to play something on bass, I tend to fall back on Motown songs. They make me happy and tend to make the listeners happy and give them something to groove with.

I gave up caring about what others think quite a long time ago. The only person you are ever going to be able to 100% please in this journey is yourself.
I recreate the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey on my bass.

That's right. Timps and all. It's awesome.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I don't play to impress people. I just play what I feel like and if passing people happen to be impressed, well more fool them.
Why would you want to impress someone?

Perhaps you're lacking in some action...

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

An natural minor improvisation with chords in it is cool. Although, If your playing to impress, I think you probably couldn't have picked a worse instrument!
I'm on the side of all them people who I don't feel like copying their names. I don't care if I impress. Hell, at times I deliberately play songs from my old band so no one will recognize them and generally just ignore me. I don't play for an audience, I play for myself. And occasionally my fiance. But that's different.

Though that "playing obscure songs" things backfired once when I played a song on fretless that attracted a small audience. It was really awkward when I look up and like four people were watching me. I didn't even think I was doing that well, it was before I owned a fretless so it was pretty sloppy. So yeah, that was uncomfortable. I prefer to be ignored.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Intro to Only Ash Remains by Necrophagist...

I wish.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
I feel like you're nearly getting flamed for saying you want to impress someone, so I will tell you the general advice.

1. Play the most difficult bass riff you can play fluently.
2. If the person you're trying to impress doesn't play bass (probably guitar too). It's better to play something that SOUNDS harder than something that IS harder.
3. Play something the person you're trying to impress knows.

I can't think of anything better than that.
Quote by KwikKopy
I feel like you're nearly getting flamed for saying you want to impress someone

Hardly - there's definitely a time and a place for trying to impress people! Auditions, for example, or when you've written a song for your lady/man

I just avoid that sort of thing these days, myself.
Quote by marko'd
to show your a good bassist, play a song on a electric guitar to show them your not a one trick ponybassplayer

That makes you a good musician, not a good bassist
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by KwikKopy
I feel like you're nearly getting flamed for saying you want to impress someone, so I will tell you the general advice.

1. Play the most difficult bass riff you can play fluently.
2. If the person you're trying to impress doesn't play bass (probably guitar too). It's better to play something that SOUNDS harder than something that IS harder.
3. Play something the person you're trying to impress knows.

I can't think of anything better than that.

For me as soon as I try to impress someone or be better than someone, music then becomes a contest outside of the audition / battle of the bands scenario. Music is not a rat race to ace someone. I think that's everyone's point.

I play music because it makes me happy and gives me a creative outlet. If that makes other people happy or impresses them, its always a pleasant surprise for me and an extra bonus. To be honest, I am so damn critical of my own playing that impressing myself is enough of a challenge, lol.
Quote by marko'd

Real the forum rules and think about how that didn't add to the thread and was spam.

See you in a month; you might want to spend the time brushing up on your bass techniques.
Put simply, whatever they want to hear.

I'll ask them, if I know what they suggest, I'll do it. Otherwise, I'll tell them I don't know it. Impressing someone doesn't work real well when they a.) don't know how hard it is (if it's hard), or b.) don't know the song. I've found people who know the song I'm playing enjoy it a lot more.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Rush tunes will usually impress people. Also, you guys are being huge dicks. Everybody likes to show off every once in a while.
Quote by Zycho
Rush tunes will usually impress people. Also, you guys are being huge dicks. Everybody likes to show off every once in a while.

I hate drawing attention to myself apart from when I'm on stage. Am I dick because of that?

Don't jump to conclusions.
I play F#0... *s******s*

I play stuff that makes people get into it, you know, stong downbeats, funk in general. But being a bassist already impresses people. Because we are the coolest people out there.

EDIT: Hmm, let's try it this way: *S/n/i/g/g/e/r/s/*
The Rock Show...

No, jokes aside. Albeit a great instrument and all, but isn't the bass the workhorse of the band, so therefore it is good to be noticed for being a great member and a staple part of the team or to be the person who spends more than half of the song playing in the lower frets (10,11, 12 etc). It is the guitarist's job to draw peoples attention, although Messrs Burton changed that for a while (same now for Geddy Lee etc.). I know this only works for playing live, and some people may not be giggers, so maybe they want to contentrate on the more 'fiddly' bass songs.

I do however, appreciate, the skill needed to play certain songs, so kudos goes to them.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I hate drawing attention to myself apart from when I'm on stage. Am I dick because of that?

I love drawing attention to myself especially when I'm on stage! Am I a dick because of that? Nope. I'm a dick for several other reasons.

But yeah, what kinda song do I play to impress people? Songs I've written. Played off my iPod.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by FbSa
But being a bassist already impresses people. Because we are the coolest people out there.

Sigged.
Just play something they will know if there none musicians.
If people here something familiar they instantly think your an amazing bassist, regardless of what it is.
The Red Hot Chili Peppers? Are you joking?
TBK ||RIP
BBAS||RIP
50RR||RIP
AO|| RIP
WMW||RIP
SF||RIP
SMB||RIP
TS||RIP

HYW
Page 1 of 3