Hi.

Played on my Marshall DSL 100 head today which i just got.

After a while of cleans, i changed to Ultra lead (which i have played before, sounds great) and the sound was weirdly wrong!

I heard great distortion for two seconds, then suddely the great distortion dropped to a low gain, fizzly and thin sound.

The gain is at full, but it still sounds the same

What's going on? Are the preamp tubes broken? Is it something wrong with the circuit board?

Got it on a closing down sale, so the store doesn't exist anymoar.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Last edited by perkristian876 at Apr 4, 2008,
Turn the gain down, turn the amp up. Check your valves as well, see if they are burned or something
Sounds like a tube issue. First, take a look at them. Any of them got sparking going on? Glowing a funny color? Smell like its burning? Second, take the eraser-end of a pencil and tap on them (lightly). Hear any extraneous noise coming through your speaker? Also, are you experiencing any problems on any other channels? If not, it may mean it's a preamp tube rather than a power tube issue, but I'd check all of them just to be sure.
Hi, I'm Peter
They all glow... Orange...
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
BTW, did you get this new or used? If you got it new, I'd take it back to the store, drop it on their counter, and say "deal with this."
Hi, I'm Peter
Here is the kicker: Got it on a closing down sale 50% off.

The lead channels sounds like if you turn your volume and tone knob on the guitar half down. Little more on the volume knob.

The clean/crunch channel actually has more gain than the Ultra Lead channel on full gain.
Dont want to make more threads, bumping.
Quote by perkristian876
The clean/crunch channel actually has more gain than the Ultra Lead channel on full gain.

That may be because the amp uses more power tubes for the lead channel. I'm just guessing.

EDIT: It may be a tube problem then.
I'd advise taking it to another guitar shop, get the tech to have a look, it does sound like something is wrong with the tubes, do what Dirk said he's got a sixth sense about stuff like this.
Quote by greggybhoy
That may be because the amp uses more power tubes for the lead channel. I'm just guessing.

EDIT: It may be a tube problem then.

I believe you ment preamp tubes? Since those are usually what "cause" the "distortion", so to speak.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I suggest replacing all the preamp tubes which are used by the lead channel - I'm not sure how Marshalls are laid out but the info will be available online if you have a look. If you've got the money to replace all the preamp tubes that's the best approach - their stock tubes are nothing special anyway so it may even improve the tone.