Hey,
I opened up a USPS box this morning, and at last, my BBE Sonic Stomp had arrived.
Now, on to the firsthand review. Please note that I haven't had too much time to play around with it, but I'll post up a basic review and then post a more indepth review later once I play around with it more.

I tried it both in the effects loop and at the end of the signal chain. It is much better (and quieter) in the effects loop. It just sounds more natural in the loop.
I set the knobs both to 5 for starters, and to see what it could do.
I am using it with my Peavey Classic 50 and my Customized Strat, and a modded Tubescreamer when I note it.

On the clean channel: The BBE Sonic Stomp adds fullness and just gives the clean channel more "life", so to speak. It turned the good, yet kind of dry cleans of my peavey classic more of a fendery chime. So, it made my cleans more luscious and clear. I really like it on the clean channel. I could see this really livening up an amp with bad cleans to sound more like it was meant for cleans. It doesn't really take off a blanket, but it just adds some very good qualities to your tone. With the cleans, what I like to do is dial up the lo contour knob to about 6 and leave the process at 5. It makes it more SRVish, and just makes your tone more articulately clear and complex without thinning it out.

On the dirty channel: If you have a fizzy distorted tone, the BBE should cure your ills. I like to use a fair amount of overdrive sometimes, and I usually push it with my tubescreamer. The BBE gets rid of the fizz, and gives more note definition, but doesn't really add treble. It's kind of like giving your amp a mix control, like the ones on the Sparkle drive and Dano Wasabi OD. What it does, is it takes your distorted tone, and keeping all the same overdrive qualities, adds some of your clean tone to the mix. So, it kind of makes fizzy preamp OD more like power tube overdrive.
I didn't like the BBE on the dirty channel as much, it kind of took away some of the smooth qualities of OD. It kind of made my tone go from Layla to Pride and Joy in a click. This can be a good or bad thing. I'm going to mention the downsides of the BBE in the next paragraph.

Downsides: It kind of makes your tone less "natural" on the dirty channel. It makes your guitar a little bit less responsive to your touch. Although it removes the fizz very well, it slightly uncompresses your tone when you use overdrive.
But, the downsides are few and really not too major.

Overall:
For the 70 bucks I got it for, it's quite worth it. It's not a miracle pedal by any means, it does it's job pretty well. I could see it respond differently to other rigs, but if your overdriven tone is muffed and fizzy, and your cleans can be dry at times, the BBE sounds right for you. If you're tone isn't fizzy, and you have great cleans right now, I wouldn't recommend the BBE because it'd probably take away from your natural tone too much and just give you a less "tubey" tone.
For the retail price of 100 bucks (although you can get them cheaper on the bay), it's worth it. It doesn't add any noise at all either, so that's a plus. It is a tweaker pedal even though it only has two knobs. Remember to keep the process knob below 5, and leave the lo contour above 4. This pedal is not for everyone.
But, it's worth it to have to switch from a chunkier tone to a smoother tone.
Go from smooth Jimi leads to SRV chunk in a click. This will give your more tonal versatility on stage or in the studio. I don't see why people say "i'll never turn it off". I will definitely turn it off sometimes for certain tones, but click it back on for cleans and other tones.

Clean Enhancement: 9/10
Dirty Enhancement: 6/10 or 9/10, depending on what tones you want (6/10 if you like a smoother clapton or jimi tone, and 9/10 if you like chunker tones like SRV or AC/DC)
Build Quality: 9/10
Tweakability: 8/10
Overall: 8/10

I'll post clips and a more indepth review later (unless the one I just posted gave you enough information)
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Apr 3, 2008,
Thanks.
I thought i'd just give it a shot because it's kind of hard to find good demos of it.
I'll make clips later. I have some homework to do.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
have you tried anything with higher gain man? i mean, i play a wide range of stuff too, but high gain is pretty high on my priority list.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by darkarbiter7
I didn't like the BBE on the dirty channel as much, it kind of took away some of the smooth qualities of OD. It kind of made my tone go from Layla to Pride and Joy in a click. This can be a good or bad thing. I'm going to mention the downsides of the BBE in the next paragraph.

Pride and Joy is much smoother than Layla.
Quote by mr_hankey

Pride and Joy is much smoother than Layla.

I dunno, maybe smoother wasn't the right word.
It's just different. My amp by itself sound alot like the Layla tone, but when I click the BBE on, it gets it more SRVish.

I tried playing with alot of gain, and it helped tighten up my tone and make it less fizzy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
cool cool. i'm still debating whether or not to go for this or the MXR 6-band EQ...the EQ has more uses, and its 20 bucks cheaper....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I'd try both out at a store.
But, having both an EQ and a Sonic Stomp would be awesome for cleans.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Im running an BBE 882I and EQ Pedal but haven't tried it on the clean channel yet because i mostly play metal. But i just might give it a try in a few days. Also the tonal possibility's are endless with a good EQ and BBE. But it does become a pain to fine those possibility's at times lol

As for high gain stuff it does its job very well. It removes the pillows and makes the notes more pronounced. I had to kick the process down to about 4 though. At 5 it sounded like it crossed into the digital realm just a hair. Basically ill start at 0 and work it up until i can hear the notes clearly and then tweak from there. The biggest benefit is if you have a flat sounding muddy gain channel. This will bring some life back into your sound. When i tried to do this with the EQ only before i got the BBE it seemed to thin things out a bit. So the cool thing is you can EQ your amp like normal and as thick as you want it and just throw this on top and not really change your tone but just bring out the notes.

Hope that helps..
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Apr 3, 2008,
Yeah. That's essentially what the BBE does.
Clips are on the way!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
awesome, looks like i'm getting an EQ and the sonic stomp.

now if only i had a source of income....damn college and not hiring me for an on-campus job...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Sounds like it'd be a good choice for the cheaper SS modellers.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^Yeah. I'm trying to get my friend's Spider II around so I can see how it works then.
I think the worse amp you have, the more improvement that the Sonic Stomp has.
That's what i've heard, and I want to see if it's true.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i've been wanting one, well, i know im getting one when i get the money.
thats exactly what im looking for because i want more clarity and fullness out of my tone.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
cool review nice description...i always see this pedal on peoples boards around here and there, want to hear some cool clips and hear how the experiment goes on the spider.
News Flash!
I don't have clips yet, but be patient, and i'll get some decent ones up.
It's that, my recording rig sucks.
Well anyways, I cranked up my amp since everyone in my house was gone, and see how the the Sonic Stomp helped the tone. With the cleans, I was getting a little bit of breakup, and it did the same effect with this. Fattened it up and focused the sound a bit more. I like having the process dialed down a little bit and the lo contour put up slightly. Don't do big adjustments, do very fine adjustments.
On the dirty channel, I cranked it up with a fair amount of gain (Think AC/DC, but with a different texture). Without the sonic stomp on, everything was kind of muffled and kind of overly compressed. With the Sonic Stomp on, it cleared up that muff and kind of uncompressed it pleasantly.
At a higher volume, the sonic stomp seems to do more, I don't know why.
I really am impressed with this unit. It does things which fiddling around with my amp's EQ can't do. I could see this thing really rock in the effects loop when a 10 band EQ is running with the input signal chain. But, this pedal is very much a tweaker.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator