Page 1 of 3
yeah we bassists feel proud of what we are and we are the ones who give groove to the band
but still how you got into bass when most of the people are attracted towards doing vocals,guitars or drums
did somebody inspire you??
or blah blah blah
But I also sing and do bass solos so I still get the spotlight.
I got into bass because I played guitar and my friend's rock band needed a new bassist and he was all like "OMG I R n33d a bassizt PLZ!!" So I learned so that they could record a new cd and play shows. I say that like it was easy, but it was a huge struggle to make the switch from guitar to bass (like it should be).

I stayed with the bass because I know how valuable I am, and don't mind if non-musicians don't.
It was a mixture of going to watch Iron Maiden and seeing the Blues Brothers on TV one Christmas.

At the Maiden gig, I noticed Steve was the only one playing bass and he sounded awesome so I thought "I want to be different and play bass like Steve".

Then, a couple of weeks later, The Blues Brothers was on TV and I sat down and watched it and that was the first time I really picked out the bass in a song and I instantly fell in love with it!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
blink 182

and im a crap guitarist
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I had a guitar player buddy who, unbeknownst to me at the time, was grooming me to play bass in his band. It didn't really dawn on me that's what he was doing for a long while. Now he's a drug addict and hasn't touched his guitar in ages. Funny how things work out.
i loved the sound
and i can blame Iron Maiden, Primus and Rush

and i love making "easy" things hard
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
One night Duck Dunn appeared in my room and said in his southern drawl, "Ya know, honey, that rhythm guitar thing ain't cuttin' it any more. Here, play a real instrument".

Oh..you want the real story!

Short version. I always loved bass and the Christmas I was pregnant with my oldest, my husband decided that I really didn't need any more baby or maternity stuff, and went out and bought me a bass and a Peavey amp. I didn't get serious about it until a few years ago when my youngest started playing guitar. I haven't looked back since. I enjoy playing bass more than I ever did guitar for those many years.
i have pretty funny story behind this actually when i was 14 yrs old i got this tape of sepultura beneath the remains and i liked the drumming so much tht it inspired me to play drums but my folks werent ready to invest money on drum kit n all and i deperately wnted to learn some instrument and get into a band hehehe........so one day i borrowed acoustic guitar from my frend and stretd learning it with the help of my teacher,he told me that there is a scarcity of bassists so why dont you switch on to bass......so from that day til today i have been playing bass wen i frst played bass i was so in love wit it tht i cant tell and rest are the culprits behind this
cliff burton
tom araya
alex webster
flea
steve harris
My sister was in a fairly successful coverband down here, and I'd already played quite a few instruments (Classical guitar, baritone, recorders of various kinds) so she convinced them to buy me a bass guitar.

Cut forward a few years, here I am.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Tried to figure out guitar for years, got mostly nowhere, just frustrated. Picked up the school's bass to jam on "Chameleon" with some friends one day, and I'll be damned if it doesn't just work. It finally flowed.

Now, after a little more than a year, I'm a better bass player than I ever was on guitar. I've got the freedom, the fluidity that eluded me. Technique hasn't quite caught up, but I'm getting there.

I have no idea why.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
My first bass was an impulse buy when I first got a job. It was a bit of a warning shot to my missus - meaning roughly "Just because you've made me get a job doesn't mean I'm going to spend more money on you"

I wanted a bass because I wanted to be Nick Oliveri at the time.
I cant explain it

I have never wanted to play guitar as far as I can remember

always wanted a bass, no reason why, apart from a will to be different I guess

and basses look better to me....im weird

but yea, just wanted to be a bassist
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
sort of on a whim for me, i was listening to a lot of tarot at the time (marco hietala :P) and i said to my friend on msn "i'm thinking about getting a bass" and he said to actually go for it, so i did
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
When I were young I've played the Piano alot, and really liked it, after awhile, because of several reasons I've stopped.

Then, a couple of years later, I got seriously into music again, and after awhile I've decided I want to do it too, so I've went to learn.

The bass was a natural choice, I couldn't imagine myself getting another instrument, I don't really know why.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not typing my story again... if you want to read it, just use the advanced search for Brian May in Bass forum

You thought Brian May played bass?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
A mix of listening/watching too much Muse and Rage Against the Machine. I'm mostly a rock bassist, but the amount of musical styles I've gotten into since starting...funk, jazz, blues, ska, and hard rock (screaming puts me off though)

Strangely my favourite band is still The White Stripes
I played trombone classically (and for jazz bands) for almost ten years, keyboards for almost as long, and had messed around on my older sister's violin time to time, as well as dabbling in percussion. I stopped the trombone a year ago or so, and last summer had felt the void, so I decided to pick up something that combined violin with bass clef- a bass! Glad I did, too.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
My dad was a luthier and built and repaired violins as a hobby and side-business (said he was an engineer b/c he wanted to eat and have a family). My grandmother on my mom's side also gave piano lessons, and played organ and accordion. So when I was growing up, my parents pushed music a lot. My 3 sibs and I were all required to play piano and a stringed instrument. My 3 sibs play violin, I hated violin, switched to cello, played cello for 5 years because it was required (didn't really like it) and eventually switched to upright bass my freshman year of high school. I picked up a bass guitar on ebay a few months before the actual switch because I wanted to rock and it seemed close enough to the cello i was used to. My parents got me an amp and my sister got me a strap that next Christmas and thats how I started about 6 years ago.
Well, when I started, I had never known what bass sounded like, because I was a standard non musician with no ability to tell what anything is other than the guitar. I had a friend who was a guitarist, my other friend was going to start guitar, and at the same time, I wanted a guitar, but I realized that there were too many guitars, and chose a bass.

I'm so happy I did that....

my freshmen year i learned guitar (was in art classes at the time), sophomore year i switched into the band and jazz band... there were a surplus of guitarists... i learned bass and could sight read by the end of that year (and move my way around most walking basslines/ bossa novas/etc.)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
combination of reasons. first my friend told me he needed a bassist for his band, and that it was relatively easy compared with guitar, and he said they would wait a few months. still, i'm no one to rush into a decision, and i did some research. when i found out that a bassist had formed iron maiden, and heard some kickass basslines from duff mckagen and tom hamilton and flea, i was really into it. then, when i was at the shop buying and i heard its tone for the first time, i creamed my pants.
Well first off, I heard By The Way and liked the sound of the instrument.
I then heard that it only had 4 strings and cos I was a dopey non-musician kid, I thought it would be easier.
I didnt really get into it at first like for a whole year.
But then our plumber who was my dads mate taught me how to read tabs cos he was a bassist too. Then it all went from there.
Guitar prodigy friend inspired me. I loved the sound of the bass and i loved the look. There are no bassists in the world so im like f guitar ima be different and play bass!
I bought a guitar first, played it for a bit and thought to myself, "I don't wanna do this."

So I sold it and bought a bass. That was the second best thing I've ever done.
Quote by anarkee
One night Duck Dunn appeared in my room and said in his southern drawl, "Ya know, honey, that rhythm guitar thing ain't cuttin' it any more. Here, play a real instrument".

Oh..you want the real story!

Short version. I always loved bass and the Christmas I was pregnant with my oldest, my husband decided that I really didn't need any more baby or maternity stuff, and went out and bought me a bass and a Peavey amp. I didn't get serious about it until a few years ago when my youngest started playing guitar. I haven't looked back since. I enjoy playing bass more than I ever did guitar for those many years.

How cool would that be to have Duck Dunn appear in front of you with that pipe in his mouth like on Blues Brothers?

"Were on a mission from God"
Quote by Deliriumbassist
This was when I was a stupid young kid. However, that mistake was one of the best things that could've happened to me.

My parents' mistake was the best thing that ever happened to me too!

Anyway, my story isn't all that interesting. I was best friends with my guitar player since I was 6, and around the time we were 15 we tried to start a band thing. He and I were the only ones not just going through the motions, and most of our recordings when we were 15-17 were basically one track - guitar + vocals, recorded at once. Around that time I was learning guitar, too. One day, he decided that this one song would sound great with a bass, too. He brought over his brother's Epi EB-0

We'd jam, and I'd play bass along with his guitar, and found out that I could handle bass strings better than guitar strings. I doubled on bass and guitar, then dropped the guitar. Here I am. It was singing and songwriting, however, that got it all started.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i always wanted to play the upright or a chello then my friend told me i should try bass... and here i am!
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
bass player's kick ass im a guitar player and when im stuck in a rut the bass player comes out with a this cool line and I make a riff to match it then there's the next song. So without you bass players things would very difficult.
Seeing as this thread has been done before lets turn it into something else.

Let's talk about WAFFLES!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Kayote Thunder
bass player's kick ass im a guitar player and when im stuck in a rut the bass player comes out with a this cool line and I make a riff to match it then there's the next song. So without you bass players things would very difficult.

No, no, please, don't let us take all the acclaim. Truley you, Mighty Guitar Player, are who WE have to thank.

For without you, where would our lesser skills be compared against? How would our not-as-good-ness be shown against?

So please. Don't thank us. Thank yourself.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Well now some n00b guitarist has chipped in to tell us how much we help out our higher-pitched wank-happy brothers*, let's share a plate of waffles.

*for those not paying attention - we occasionally hit on a good riff when our guitarists have exhausted their creative imagination on those awesome solos we love so much.
Jon--its too late / early to talk about waffles, depending on your time zone. This isn't iHOP, breakfast is not served anytime. Besides you are making me hungry and that makes me grouchy and....

And to Sly Taco, on my to do list before he or I go to the great beyond is I want to meet Duck Dunn, just once!

And who let the guitarist in here? lol Thanks for the nice compliment, and pardon our senses of humour, but its hard to tell through the internet whether you're being sincere. You are being sincere, aren't you....
I played guitar for about 6 months, and played a lot of songs that i had to stop and wait for a (really cool!) bass solo to pass. When a couple of friends and i decided to start a band, one of my friends introduced me to the bassist, and i just asked him if i could borrow one of his basses, and he let me.

It has REALLY helped me improve a guitar (which i'm sticking to... sawwy).
After playing bass, the guitar is so much easier.

I think any guitar player should just take some spare time to learn bass, because it does wonders for your guitar playing, seeing as the scales are further apart, the strings are harder to press, more gripped. After learning bass i was amazed at how much easier playing guitar had become!
O O

___
Page 1 of 3