I'm writing a piece in G Harmonic minor, but what confuse me is that if we take chord one for example, G, which contains the notes G, B and D, then how can it work with the Harmonic Minor? Because that contains no B note in it.

EDIT: So I've done that, now another question, I've got a lick in this which contains an F note, and at some point I need to write about this, what can I say would be my "justification" for using the F note, and what effect does it have?
Funny words.
Last edited by I_Am_Iron_Man at Apr 3, 2008,
Thanks guys, just got my head a bit mixed...

Can anyone help on the second question?
Funny words.
The only 'justification' you need is that it sounds good to you. A common use would be a chromatic line leading to the tonic a la F F# G. The effect would basically be a strong sense of movement to the root note
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
EDIT: So I've done that, now another question, I've got a lick in this which contains an F note, and at some point I need to write about this, what can I say would be my "justification" for using the F note, and what effect does it have?
If it sounds good then it's good, but I fail to see the problem with using an F note. Are you using F# as well?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If it sounds good then it's good, but I fail to see the problem with using an F note. Are you using F# as well?

Yeah, well in G Harmonic Minor there is is G, A, A#, C, D, D# and F#, so I didn't know how to put into words why I used an F aswell as those others.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Yeah, well in G Harmonic Minor there is is G, A, A#, C, D, D# and F#, so I didn't know how to put into words why I used an F aswell as those others.
You have to call them Bb and Eb, not A# and D#. In a standard, seven tone western scale, which most scales are, every note must be represented once and only once.

As far as F goes, it just sounds good-no need to justify it's use beyond that.
Just remeber that if you're using the F (sharp or natural) in G minor, it is the seventh scale degree or leading tone. The leading tone needs to resolve to the root tone (unless in a descending pattern) in order to maintain strong harmonics. The same goes for the F-A-C chord, strong harmonics dictates that it resolves up to the root.
IMMORTAL DEATH

Before The Sun...
...After The Moon