Alright Ladies and Gentlemen...

I love Stratocasters. I really do. I have to admit...I am partial to Mexican made ones because I think they have great quality for way less in terms of cost. Plus, they can always be upgraded later to your own personal likes and equally important...as you have the money to do so. I must admit....I love a nice American made one too. But, is it always, sometimes, or rarely worth the cost? Here's a research website where some players talk about it a little... (http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_74773_fender_standard_stratocaster_electric_reviews)...but I thought I would start a topic to hear more.

Holla at me,

Dupri
i have a mexican and i really like...but once im a better player i'm going to get a american...its just a matter of better quality everything (wood, pickups...etc..)...the mexi does me fine...but my friend has an amer. and you can definitly hear and feel the diffrence...so if your just playing in your room mexi does fine...even small gigging...but if your planning on being a serious muscian you usually want your sound to be perfect
'To be positive at all times is to ignore all that is important, sacred or valuable. To be negative at all times is to be threatened by ridiculousness and instant discredibility.'
-Kurt Cobain
I have both and my favorite is the tricked out mexi for the fender stuff. But none of the fenders even the custom shop stuff holds it own to the Tom Anderson.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
I know its not a strat, butttt, i have a mexican made jaguar and i love the thing. It's pretty old, looks like a reissue or sumin idk, but for $400 its amazing. the action is great, the fret board and neck make u feel like ur hands are having sex with an amazing vagina. i love it. On the other hand tho, my friend has a mexican fat strat, and i don't care for it too much. I dont know, the thing is, American made ones are more consitently better than mexicans. U have a better chance of getting a great quality american, witha mexican u take more chances, hence it being cheaper. But, with most instrument things, i think its a lot of preference.
Both MIA and MIM Fenders are excellent guitars for the money. The 2008 American Standard is $1000 and for that you get a whole lot of guitar that's going to last forever and hold its value. For $400 you get the MIM standard strat which is still high quality, lends itself to being upgraded to your individual taste, and is a very good guitar that's available to everyone.

Quality control isn't as good in the Mexican guitars but IMO you should play any guitar before you buy it and figure out before you put your money down if the guitar is good or not. Many of the Mexican strats are made just as well as the American ones, and it's not hard to find one of these great examples.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
^So true.
I like my MIM Classic 60's Strat a lot more than any American Standard or Deluxe I've played, just because it looks amazing (just like most Strats, yeah! lol) and 'cause it's the only true vintage style Strat below the MIA Vintage Reissues, which cost about $1000 more. Is it worth? Hell yes, but I don't have all that money, so I'm really happy with my MIM till I can get the MIA one in the future.

PS: and I swear this is the best guitar I've owned till the date, and the only one I've been really happy with it from the very beginning. Even in the shop, before adjusting anything (not even the polepieces) it sounded and played much better than the others! I don't know, it just had "something"
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
MIM
I was told by the national chain that i bought it from that MIMs parts are all made in US and only shipped to Mexico for assembly and then shipped back. I'm not saying the Pups are the same, but they are made in US. My Tuners say Fender and my bridge saddles say Fender as well. Chrome. nice.

I think I would rather have 2 MIMs or money for better amp then 1 Am Strat and I don't plan on selling it so i will continue to love it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
MIM
I was told by the national chain that i bought it from that MIMs parts are all made in US and only shipped to Mexico for assembly and then shipped back. I'm not saying the Pups are the same, but they are made in US. My Tuners say Fender and my bridge saddles say Fender as well. Chrome. nice.

I think I would rather have 2 MIMs or money for better amp then 1 Am Strat and I don't plan on selling it so i will continue to love it.

A few criticisms of your claims:

1. You can find an employee at Guitar Center or whatever other chain you go to that will provide you with bad information. So, hearing about how they're made from a guy who probably "heard" it from someone else and has no firsthand knowledge of Fender's business is not a reliable source.

2. From a pure logic perspective, it does not really make much sense to make all of the parts and then send them to a foreign country to be assembled, as the production of the parts is typically the most expensive part of the process. Once everything has been made, assembly is usually quick, easy, and cheap compared to production. In other words, if you're trying to make a product cheaper to appeal to a different market, you don't make all the parts and then send them to a place that has cheap labor - you have the cheap labor make the parts in the first place and then probably assemble them, too. It's possible that this could not be the case for guitar manufacturing, but I doubt it.

3. Mexican made guitars say "MADE IN MEXICO," not "ASSEMBLED IN MEXICO." There is a difference here.

4. Your tuners and saddle saying "Fender" on them does not mean they're made in America; it means they're made by Fender at one of their locations across the globe or by one of the suppliers that they employ! This could be anywhere across the world, but for MiM guitars, it's probably Mexico, and for MiA ,it's probably USA.

5. There is a huge difference between MiA and MiM Strats in terms of quality, feel, and most importantly, TONE! If you can't notice this, you are inexperienced.

That said, MiMs are good, but MiA are great.
Last edited by MudaFoka at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by imtank
i have a mexican and i really like...but once im a better player i'm going to get a american...its just a matter of better quality everything (wood, pickups...etc..)...the mexi does me fine...but my friend has an amer. and you can definitly hear and feel the diffrence...so if your just playing in your room mexi does fine...even small gigging...but if your planning on being a serious muscian you usually want your sound to be perfect

+1 to everything except the end. I have an american deluxe that is my main guitar all of the time. I love it. IMO it is far superior to the mexicans I have played. Don't get me wrong, the MIM's i have played have been nice guitars that I love too, but the feel, sound, quality, and over all beauty of my american put it so many levels above the mexican line that, to me, it is worth the price. go for what you want to pay for though. if you don't think the MIA is worth it, well, don't buy it. if you think the MIA is worth it, well, then save your money and buy it.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
MIMs are great as long as you change out the pickups. Stock ones are ridiculously noisy.
MIM Strats aren't bad guitars. My friend has one. You can hear and feel the difference, I would have got a MIM if my uncle didn't come to visit with his MIA strat, he let me play it, and it was just amazing, so I saved up and got one, even got mine in sunburst, such a beautiful finish on a beautiful guitar. I love the S-1 switching on mine.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
+1 to MudaFoka and Bored_Maniac as that is probably correct.
Chordzzz - I am interested in swapping out the HB pup in mine but not because it is noisy. Mine are not noisy at all.

Also, when I see a title like American vs Mexican strat I assume the discussion is more based on value and the differences and imo you get a lot of Strat for $375 MIM. I played both and honestly could not tell the difference.

But again, thanks for clarification on which countries things may or may not be made in as I have actually been trying to verify this stuff myself and yes I got mine at GC.
All well said. There are many differences. I own both. MIM's a very good for the money, but doesn't come close the an MIA for a number of reasons. If you're skilled enough to appreciate the difference, there is no choice but the MIA. If you're at the stage where you can't hear, feel or see the difference, but I guess there's no point for you to buy the MIA.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
I think Fender are actually a very good value brand (frankenstrat replicas, heavy relics etc aside...) - especially considering the nostalgia factor. I'd say MiA and MiM are both very good value for money, but as has been said many times on these pages you have to cherry pick the Mexicans. If you haven't got the dough go for a Mexican, especially if you're a multiple guitar guy - but have a look at the 'inbetween' models such as the highway one and the classic players.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Thanks guys for a very useful thread. I have a MIA standard strat which I think is the best guitar ever, however I am getting restless and considering buying another strat, probably a HSS with S1 switching. However, I am frustrated that here in the UK the choice of MIA strats is so limited and there seems to be every model and colour option available in MIM strats (plus a LOT cheaper) that I was seriously thinking of going MIM.

Anyway, after reading the above I think for my needs I will wait for the right MIA strat to come along. Still, it doesn't stop me trying out one or two MIM strats just to make sure?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
i think with the MIM i would personally feel more comfortable if i banged it around or decided to make mods to it. I wouldnt want to mod a MIA. From what Ive played, they're almost the same. That doesnt mean ALL of them are excellent...there will be lemons. as the official UG motto should be...Try before you buy.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
I think MIM strats have great quality.
They just have lower quality hardware and pickups.
But, swap out the pickups for some sweet ones (I got some custom wound for me )
Maybe swap out the tuners and nut and such if you really want to be that picky, and maybe get a better trem if you use it alot. But, I don't use the trem, and it holds a tune well.
I don't see how americans can be too much better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i only play maybe 30-60 min a day tops but i am actually shocked at how well it stays in tune and i do use the wammy bar quite a bit. i know my pickups are not as good as the MIA but for what i'm doing and for my budget i have a lot of guitar here

i believe i have the (upgrade) version that came out in '05 i think so i'm curious as to how that contrasts with everything said above or if anyone knows the details