Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new amp, the maximum I'm looking to spend is around £250 (about $500 I suppose).

I don't want anything too loud, so it's probably a case of quality over quantity (i.e a decent 30-50 Watter, rather than a crap sounding 120W).

I play just about anything - from Thrash Metal right the way through the spectrum to faggy indie stuff :P . So I'm after something I can get a wide range of different tones out of.

I have a Boss ME-50, so I don't need an amp loaded with different effects - I guess the range of tones in the amp isn't as important if I've got that at my feet either, right?

Don't think it's particularly relevant but the axe is an Ibanez RG350.

There's your brief - I realise there are (probably literally) thousands of posts asking for recommendations so I appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Thanks.
Afternoon,

This is a good place to start - 30W, 2x12, all valve and amazing value. Geared a little towards cleans and light overdrive - though if needs be a change of power tubes and speakers could change the sound entirely. The best value amp available, bar none.

Otherwise a Laney VC30, Fender Pro Junior (or even better a used Blues Junior), or any other small valve combo will do the job fine. The classifieds/eBay are the best places to look, don't buy a brand new amp unless you really have to. Guitarist magazine has a great classifieds section, pick one up if you can.
get a Laney LX65R, it's quite cheap, the only effects in is reverb, sounds awesome
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
I was looking at a Laney VC and a Vox...err can't remember what it was called now - Any Vox or Mesa's you would recommend in particular?

Although the Laney VC and that Grainger seem a bit light in the overdrive department. I'll have to nip into Sound Control and give some more a test drive - Keep the suggestions coming and I'll make a list of amps to try
Quote by athlete1
vox is good,and mesa boogie

Since when did Mesa make an amp at 500 bucks?
I was gonna say peavey classic, but I saw that you're a European. I'd go for some kind of laney.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The Peavey Bandit amps are quite good if you want something cheap. Tight sounding, and the best sounding distortion I've come across on any amp within it's rough price range. The 212 one(I don't remember the exact model name) should get you quite far. Not a lot of effects, but nice, tight distortion and really good reverb. Give it a spin, if you get the chance.
Last edited by Cuddrow at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by Cuddrow
The Peavy Bandit amps are quite good if you want something cheap. Tight sounding, and the best sounding distortion I've come across on any amp within it's rough price range. The 212 one(I don't remember the exact model name) should get you quite far. Not a lot of effects, but nice, tight distortion and really good reverb. Give it a spin, if you get the chance.

I thought the Bandit had pretty muddy distortion. Still pretty good for an SS but yeah...
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Quote by urbanfox
I was looking at a Laney VC and a Vox...err can't remember what it was called now - Any Vox or Mesa's you would recommend in particular?

Although the Laney VC and that Grainger seem a bit light in the overdrive department. I'll have to nip into Sound Control and give some more a test drive - Keep the suggestions coming and I'll make a list of amps to try

Well, i Reccomend a used Vox AC15 for that price range....i don't have one personally but my best friend has one and it is a great sounding amp. I have a Vox Valvetronix AD50VT that sound great but it is a hybrid valve amp so i don't know if that fits you or not
There's quite a lot of poor suggestions in this thread....
If you want real versatility, look into a Line 6 Flextone (SS but good).
However, personally, i'd go for a used Marshall JCM 900 combo (they go for about £250 on the bay), and then look for an overdrive pedal
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by weemansyndrome
I thought the Bandit had pretty muddy distortion. Still pretty good for an SS but yeah...

No, I was totally blown away when I tried it, as it is so much better than all other relatively cheap SS amps that I've tried. At least using my guitars, the sound came out tight and not muddy. It has quite an edge to it, and a lot of bass, giving it a nice tone for rhythm rather than the soft and smooth tone I prefer for leads. I don't use SS amps anymore, but I used to have one of these for regular practice with the band, and it never really let me down. Well worth the money, as far as I'm concerned.
Id say your looking at 2 possible options, both with a few choices depending on how you want to proceed. Your looking at either a modeling amp or a small valve amp. In terms of modelling theres the Roland Cube or Line 6 Flextone. My vote goes flextone if it makes any difference. Its versitile and will cover any amount of gain with ease. Plus it doesnt sound anything like the spiders which is a bonus.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/line6-flextone/7072

Or alternatively make a deal with this guy.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822899&highlight=flextone

On the valve side of things we have the Laney VC-15 or the VC-30 if you wanted to blow another 50 quid. Peaveys Valveking can be gotten for around £270 too if you have an extra score knocking about.

Sadly theres not much out there for £250 if you want real tone but it should be enough to get something halfway decent.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Hmm, theres a VC30 on ebay currently at £50. A small problem that it's 200 miles away.

Theres always Parcelforce I guess.
Quote by urbanfox
Hmm, theres a VC30 on ebay currently at £50. A small problem that it's 200 miles away.

Theres always Parcelforce I guess.

It'll go up....
Your options i would narrow down to:
-Roland Cube 60
-Line 6 Flextone
-Used Marshall JCM900
-Peavey Valveking
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

I'm curious as to this 'Standby' switch I've noticed on a few amps. WTF is the point - Isn't it just like switching the amp of properly?
Quote by urbanfox
I'm curious as to this 'Standby' switch I've noticed on a few amps. WTF is the point - Isn't it just like switching the amp of properly?

On 'tube' amps - you need to let the tubes warm up (and theoretically, though not as important, cool down) before switching the amp directly on.
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

Quote by cmakkidguitar
It'll go up....

Don't I just know it - There was a bass I looked at a week or two back - 6 hours left and the bidding was at £10 - Fair enough I thought, I've always wanted a bass just for pissing around with, so I put £15 on - Checked a few minutes later and it had gone up to £35, it finished at £42.

But I digress - I'm not really keen on a Cube - I'm still drawn toward the Vox AD50VT or a Laney VC30 - Maybe even the 15 would do the job?
Quote by cmakkidguitar
On 'tube' amps - you need to let the tubes warm up (and theoretically, though not as important, cool down) before switching the amp directly on.

So if you were to just switch it straight on/off it would go *Bang*, start smoking slightly and smell quite bad - Sort of how my Dad's Hi-Fi went the other day :P
Quote by cam_sampbell
get a Laney LX65R, it's quite cheap, the only effects in is reverb, sounds awesome

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by urbanfox
Don't I just know it - There was a bass I looked at a week or two back - 6 hours left and the bidding was at £10 - Fair enough I thought, I've always wanted a bass just for pissing around with, so I put £15 on - Checked a few minutes later and it had gone up to £35, it finished at £42.

But I digress - I'm not really keen on a Cube - I'm still drawn toward the Vox AD50VT or a Laney VC30 - Maybe even the 15 would do the job?

The VC would easily your cover your indie side, but it might be a bit of a push to get thrash out of - perhaps with an overdrive and EQ pedal Its definitely the better amp of those two.
And the switching straight on thing will not instantly damage your amp, but lets just say its not recommended...

^
Quote by jxljxl

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

I've made myself a shortlist and I'll spend tomorrow trekking around music shops giving them a test drive I think.