I want to get a les paul standard for a while and i see they look the same, almost sound the same but the prices are way off. Epiphones are 400$ and up and Gibson's are 1500$ and up. I like to play old metal like Megadeth and such. so which one should i get?
depends what you can afford, if you can afford a Gibson definatley get one
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
If you have the money get the Gibson, the quality and pickups are much better on the the Gibson
Epiphone is owned(made?) by Gibson, Epiphones just use cheaper stuff and are much more affordable.
The may not be the best for metal though, I'd keep looking around for other guitars
Gear:
Godin Freeway Classic
Ibanez Concord Acoustic
Roland Cube 30x
Zoom G2
Cool thanks if the Les Paul is not that good for metal. What should i get? I was maybe thinking Dean or Jackson.
Jackson. Perhaps a Soloist will do you fine.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
ESP has some Les Paul shaped guitars that should be good for metal... why don't you give those a look? The model is called the Eclipse I believe, someone else could tell you even more though.

EDIT: I like this one in particular click here
If you can afford it, get a Gibson. I just picked one up and its incredible. My dad has a really good Epi LP and the Gibson throws it out the window.
Gibson.
Quote by jubeikibagami
I want to get a les paul standard for a while and i see they look the same, almost sound the same but the prices are way off. Epiphones are 400$ and up and Gibson's are 1500$ and up. I like to play old metal like Megadeth and such. so which one should i get?

Don't get an LP for Megadeth style stuff, look at an SG (Epi's prophecy series would suit you well), any decent superstrats (Jackson pro series dinky, Esp MH series 400 or up, Ibanez RG prestige, or a mid-range one with an OFR replacing the Edge III) or any decent flying v's (Jackson RR3-Okay, it's a Rhoads model). You could also, believe it or not, get a fat/HH strat and replace the stock trem with a super-vee trem.
(link here)
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by jubeikibagami
Cool thanks if the Les Paul is not that good for metal. What should i get? I was maybe thinking Dean or Jackson.

**** that LP is great for metal.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
^not-so-great for speed metal though.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If the Les Paul isn't good for metal, why does Zakk Wylde and Randy Rhodes use them?

Like everone else, get the Gibson if you can afford it, but if not, the Epiphone is also a good Les Paul.

Quote by Mockingbird452
If the Les Paul isn't good for metal, why does Zakk Wylde and Randy Rhodes use them?

Because it's not so much about what's good for what, it's about what's good for you.

10 bucks says OP gets an LP and feels like he's playing a baseball bat and hates it.

OP, try before buy, or at least be ready to return in case you don't like it. Don't be deadset on one guitar.
The Les Paul is a good guitar with tons of versatility (I would know) but there are other guitars out there built specially for metal-Esp, jackson, etc...unless you're just buying a guitar for looks or if you're gonna throw down some variety in what you play, it's kind of a waste of a good guitar.

I have a GLP Custom and I can play ANY kind of music, considering that it can handle any type of music you throw at it with a decent amp. However, If I played metal only(which I don't), I would consider other guitars...

This epi vs. gibson thread is centuries old-just type in the search bar over this topic and you'll find like a billion threads like this one. Just to make it short and easy, Epiphones were built for people who aren't on a high budget for guitars but they still want a good quality guitar. Gibsons, on the other hand, are of higher quality and way more expensive. Yeah, sure, I have a Gibson-I have a Custom Shop model...it's my main guitar and I'll never replace it. Epi's are great but I just wasn't satisfied when I played em.
Quote by burrit0
Pshh, Christians rebel against evil.

-Gibson Les Paul Custom -
-Random acoustic guitar that's 36 years old -
-Epiphone Dot Deluxe -
-Gibson Les Paul Studio -
-Epiphone PR200E -
Quote by Toniofalcon
Because it's not so much about what's good for what, it's about what's good for you.

10 bucks says OP gets an LP and feels like he's playing a baseball bat and hates it.

OP, try before buy, or at least be ready to return in case you don't like it. Don't be deadset on one guitar.

Yeah, I know, it's what the person likes to hear and play, but I just assumed he liked the LPs because it's what the threads about. So this guys right, of course actually try them first!!

If you can afford a Gibson, get a Carvin.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.