Any ideas?? I've got a Triple Rec and i'm getting a really good tube eq with it, it's got an awesssssome low end and i've managed to tighten it up, but STILL not quite there, any ideas....
Your whole problem in the triple rec.

Are you headlining arenas? Didn't think so, posting on this board and all.

You shoulda got a single rect.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Tubescreamer in front, tightens up the response.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
dude... if you cant get that tone with a Mesa... i dont know what to say
Quote by just17n8
dude... if you cant get that tone with a Mesa... i dont know what to say

Mesas are actually hard(er) to dial in...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by HavokStrife

you're running a pretty massive rig yourself to be criticizing..... pretty sure that some people on this forum ARE headlining arenas, at least, I wouldn't doubt it.... pretty sure that is a gear bashing response.
You are cranking your Recto., right? If you're often playing at bedroom levels, you can't expect to get a tight low end from a Recto.
if you don't like it, i'll take it
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by HavokStrife

mesa didn't make dual and triple rects 120 and 150watts just so a few people can play stadiums without a PA system. it affects headroom and bass response. if he's playing at low volumes, even the single recto would sound mediocre.

with that said, rectos generally need to be cranked a bit before they get cookin.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I've got an od808 pedal out front man. Yeh the sound is getting there but I'm all up for trying different amps to be fair, more out of interest really.
You wouldn't cheat on your Mesa would you?
Quote by HavokStrife

Face

Palm

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
face , palm haha i like it!!

I dunno the mesa is my baby but i do get tempted, i've heard the randall rm100 is a bit of a beast
Have you ever experimented with different valves or cabs for the mesa?

You probably have, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I have a Marshall TSL60.. plugging straight into it and playing, I can't get a good metal tone. However, when I put a Tube Screamer and use it as a boost into the gain channel, I can get amazing metal tones. The same holds true for an EQ if you use it as a boost (good because it doesn't add color to your tone).

Also, the more you turn up your amp, the better it will sound. At higher volumes, the lower frequencies are emphasized more..

There's no way you can't get a good metal tone with a triple recto!
Main setup:

ESP Eclipse
PRS Torero SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster head, 2x12 cab
FX: Crybaby Slash Wah, Ibanez TS9x, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Boss TU-2, BF-3, DD-3, PS-6, RC-3, etc.
if you don't want it, I'd be happy to adopt her
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
only lame ppl gear bash because they dont have it

so what if someone aint headlining there tone isnt effected

if u got the money its yours so spend it
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
Quote by NGMF-Sam
only lame ppl gear bash because they dont have it

so what if someone aint headlining there tone isnt effected

if u got the money its yours so spend it

The point which you clearly missed is that unless you're playing in a stadium full of thousands of people, you can't crank an amp like that up loud enough in your house for it to sound its best. I know because I have a 100W Carvin V3 and even on half power mode it's still way too loud on anything above 1 1/2 and I'm not even beginning to saturate the power tubes at that level.
Rectifiers aren't exactly known for their tight low end, especially Triple Rectifiers. If the overdrive doesn't work, trying switching to a closed back cab (if you're not using one already), or maybe switching to a Vader cab (Mesa cabs are muddy by comparison). Or you could ditch the Rectifier and get something good (I'm biased against them, yes)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Remonster
The point which you clearly missed is that unless you're playing in a stadium full of thousands of people, you can't crank an amp like that up loud enough in your house for it to sound its best. I know because I have a 100W Carvin V3 and even on half power mode it's still way too loud on anything above 1 1/2 and I'm not even beginning to saturate the power tubes at that level.

facepalm.

AGAIN.

mesa didn't make dual and triple rects 120 and 150watts just so a few people can play stadiums without a PA system. it affects headroom and bass response. if he's playing at low volumes, even the single recto would sound mediocre.

with that said, rectos generally need to be cranked a bit before they get cookin.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
facepalm.

AGAIN.

Lmao...

+1 to ^him and Archeo Avis.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
haha, thanks...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
haha, thanks...

RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I think the TS would REALLY like a Framus Cobra.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Honestly three things I think will really help you. Get yourself an overdrive pedal and an MXR smart gate. The Sound you hear on a lot of metal albums is a noise gate cranked to full threshold. This requires you to really EQ the amp around the pedal on to get the desired sound but it will be super tight. An OD pedal also will tighten it up with a bit more of a natural sound. Second thing is get a THD hot plate. This will allow you to push the power tubes really hard on that amp without melting the paint off the walls. Three is if you have a mesa oversized cab get rid of it for a regular sized one. They are just too boomy.
Bogner Überschall all the way dude! It blows away Mesa, 5150's, ENGL's

Edit: you also won't need any tube screamers, compressors or other crap to get a better sound, ... just plug in the guitar, dial the EQ and rule!
I mean, if you buy a $ 2000 amp, why should you need to add a TS to tighten the sound? If the amp can't deliver, get a better one
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Last edited by Ventor at Apr 4, 2008,
^ I don't think he want a new amp here....

anyway...

You could try to put an EQ in the fx loop, a lot of people from the Boogie Board seems to do that. An MXR 10 band eq could do the trick to! Take a look here:

http://forum.grailtone.com/

A lot of usefull informations from actual Mesa users!
((( KoskineN )))

-ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe VHB
-Fender Telecaster Lite Ash
-Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo
-Fulltone Clyde Dlx, OCD, '69
-Boss BD-2, CE-5, DD-20, TU-2, RC-2
-MXR Phase 90 & EVH Flanger
-EHX Little Big Muff - Holy Grail - Micro POG
I use a dual rectifier, and personally I love it! I also have an oversize cab, and I actually enjoy the "boominess" that someone mentioned above.. and yes cranking the amp is a must.

I've played through a triple rectifier before, and I think it's heavy as ****, I really don't know how it wouldn't do it for you, there are heavier amps out there of course, but they might not be as versatile, but then again you don't really seem like the type of dude to care about versatility.

With all that said, some other options you can check out and buy if you've got the cash to throw down on it are the Peavey 6505, VHT Pitbull, and the krank and randall amps (not too familiar with their individual models).
You need a guitar amp with a solid state rectifier. The tube rectifies are *known* for producing very flabby loose bass.
Quote by Guitar Eater
You need a guitar amp with a solid state rectifier. The tube rectifies are *known* for producing very flabby loose bass.

I think you can change the rectifier on some Mesa amps? Can you change the rectifier to solid state on your amp, see if that helps?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Remonster

Not really, I krank my Krank + ENGL to about 7-8 everyday..
Quote by Brendan.Clace
you're running a pretty massive rig yourself to be criticizing..... pretty sure that some people on this forum ARE headlining arenas, at least, I wouldn't doubt it.... pretty sure that is a gear bashing response.

One fo the guitarists from The Absence has been seen on here quite a lot.
Quote by Untitled001
One fo the guitarists from The Absence has been seen on here quite a lot.

Not quite alot... still pretty cool when he posts pics of his Caparisons though...

*drools*
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I want a dual rec... Sucks they're so (&%!"(/%! expensive in sweden. a new one costs about 4200$
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
An MXR 10 band eq could do the trick

+1

With a 10-band eq you can sculpt your tone in many different ways, whether it is tightening your bass for rhythm or boosting your mids for your lead tone.
Quote by Remonster

Some people don't need saturated power tubes to get good tone for metal. I know I don't.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Not quite alot... still pretty cool when he posts pics of his Caparisons though...

*drools*

Well I say quite a lot cos I've seena fair few posts.. Don't see him actively though