I'm looking to try to get a John Mayer or Jimi Hendrixy sort of tone. I have an American Deluxe HSS Strat and a Spider III 150watt amp. Now i know the amp is not going to be able to get exactly wat i'm looking for here, so please don't even comment on that. But what sort of amp settings should i use and what pickup position should i use to get sort of sound that John uses on the Try! album (more specifically, "Another Kind of Green" and "Who do you think i was?")

In case your not familiar with the spider III setup, it has clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal and insane amp settings. within those setting you have the equalization settings, a drive knob, and all of the effects such as delay and reverb that i would need.

thanks for your help
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
turn it off... done

/thread

srsly--- clean (or blues idk) setting with reverb and start messin' with the gain and trebble... youll get something you like at some point... not decent... but ok
Quote by just17n8
turn it off... done

/thread

srsly--- clean (or blues idk) setting with reverb and start messin' with the gain and trebble... youll get something you like at some point... not decent... but ok

lol, id prefer to have a tube amp and all the necessary effects but my parents gave me this and i dont have any money so...it gets the job done well enough tho

yea, tahts wat ive been doing, its rly hard to get it where i want it tho. im trying to get that nice jangle he has, but i guess i rly need a better amp to truly get that

thanks
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
use the single coils, if you can split the bridge humbucker that'd work nicely i imagine.
youll never get that tone because the rely alot on driving the tubes... so i would recomend selling that amp... youll get enough for a good used tube amp
Quote by just17n8
youll never get that tone because the rely alot on driving the tubes... so i would recomend selling that amp... youll get enough for a good used tube amp

....no...i wont....lol ive checked before
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
You'll have to wait until you can get a better amp.
Back when I owned a spider, I couldn't get anything like Hendrix or Mayer.
I could only get a half-passable nirvana tone and some kind of lame AC/DC tone (not saying AC/DC's tone is lame, the tone I got out of it was AC/DC-ish, but very lame)
Do you have the stack version?
You could just save up for a head, then.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
First of all, roll the mids down to about 4,5. During the Trio he pretty much only used Neck and Neck,mid pickups on Strats (used a Clapton ES 335 once in a while) one of the main components in his tone was a and is still a Keeley Modded Boss BD-2 which he had on pretty 99% of the time. Oh yeah, get some kind of Fender amp, he always had a Reissue Vibroverb Fender amp and two Two-Rock's, but with a Strat, Tubescreamer (for boosting during soloes) and a BD-2 you should be able to get there... oh yeah, and his hands.
Quote by bored_maniac33
....no...i wont....lol ive checked before

o.. then do what the guy above said

EDIT: i meant Darkarniter...
John's two rock amps are so expensive they sound great but they are overpriced in my opinion. The spider won't be able to copy that tone but simto's comment will help you sort of get the tone.
Quote by Simto
Anything else you want to know?

lol im good, thanks. yea, ill have to wait a long while (several years probably) before i can get any sort of good tube amp.

I've got this 51 year-old silvertone amp (i don't kow the wattage, its smal, but it gets pretty decently loud) and its rly sweet, but the tubes break-up at such a low volume that it's not even funny, which makes it a real pain sometimes. *sigh* o well, curse you college! taker of time and money!!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
go to the hey joe, red house, wind cries mary, or texas flood preset and and put it on the neck or middle pickup
Last edited by Sakattack75 at Apr 4, 2008,
A decent tube amp and an Ibanez TS9 would be a good start. But you'll have to spend a hell of a lot before you can really get a similar sound.
yea, the thing freaking rocks when i have it cranked. it gets a really sweet non-lame sort of ac/dc tone, but im stll playing around with it t get that jangly niceness that mayer has on "Who Did You Think I Was"

Yea, that would be an awesome idea with the tubes, except this thing uses what are essentially ham radio tubes which are fairly hard to find.

but i am thinking about getting a tubescreamer
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by Tomaz24
A decent tube amp and an Ibanez TS9 would be a good start. But you'll have to spend a hell of a lot before you can really get a similar sound.

yea, i was thinking of the hot rod deluxe actually.... lol want to give me yours??
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
blues juniors are good alternatives. i remember seeing mayer use one on the episode of Chappelle's Show, with the skit about how white people always have to dance when they hear an electric guitar.

after a while of saving up you might be able to afford one, especially if you can haggle at a guitar center.

edit: dude, if your parents didn't mind you could sell your guitar and your Spider to buy a Mexican standard/deluxe strat and a tube combo, and maybe a pedal. just an idea, because i'm not too fond of HSS strats, or spiders (i have a spider II) and you could get closer to Mayer's sound
Last edited by strat335 at Apr 4, 2008,
Yeah. he could get a standard or deluxe with a humbucker at the bridge though. Ehh, it's up to him though
Quote by strat335

edit: dude, if your parents didn't mind you could sell your guitar and your Spider to buy a Mexican standard/deluxe strat and a tube combo, and maybe a pedal. just an idea, because i'm not too fond of HSS strats, or spiders (i have a spider II) and you could get closer to Mayer's sound

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! *sniffle* i love my strat. ill deal with crap tone b4 getting rid of it

thanks for the idea tho!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Hey, agreeing with most of the above...you need tubes man.

I own a MIM strat with texas specials, vox AC15 (British made) and an ibanez TS808, and i can hit some really sweet tones near mayers. Mayer uses Two-rock amps though, which are ridiculously expensive, but sweet as a nut, but with any tube amp, backing off the bass to around 3-4, mids around 6-7 and treble about 7-9 and with gain at break up point, using position 2 (neck and middle) on a strat will get you pretty close. Dont forget your reverb and a little fast tremolo if you've got it (many tube combos have it built in) but not too deep!

If you were willing to, you could probably trade your kit in at a decent guitar outlet for a mexican classic player strat (the 50's ones are amazing!) Fender blues junior or Vox AC15CC1 and you will be in heaven my friend. Theres always ebay etc to sell, you could probably find $900-1100(£450-550) for your guitar depending on condition and another $500 for your amp, which would be more than enough to cover off the kind of sound you want to get, especially if you get a used amp!

hope this has been helpful