So I have an Squier Affinity P-Bass. I also need to buy a car. So I can't really afford to upgrade at the moment.

Since I'm still new to bass, I don't need anything fancy. But my main gripe is that I have major hum issues with it right now. I'm hoping that switching out all of the electronics would help that.

Since I don't want to put a lot of money in this, I was hoping that one of you might have had some experience with these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfspbpropbas.html

I imagine they are better then the Squier ones, but you all would know better than me.

thoughts?

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
New pickups on a cheaper bass won't do much overall. You're better off getting the car, then saving up and getting a better bass. Probably an MIM Fender.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Pink Muse
New pickups on a cheaper bass won't do much overall. You're better off getting the car, then saving up and getting a better bass. Probably an MIM Fender.

the affinity seires uses the same woods as real fenders tho
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
^ the affinity series uses agathis, real fenders use alder usually
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by stevo192
^ the affinity series uses agathis, real fenders use alder usually

i study fenders and squiers squier affinity use alder standard squeirs use agathis

Alder or ash, sometimes.

Also, just because it's the same wood doesn't mean it's the same quality wood/craftsmanship. Fender Fenders are made with better cuts, and therefore have better sounds and can usually hold sustain longer due to the wood properties, if it's the right kind.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Pink Muse
Alder or ash, sometimes.

Also, just because it's the same wood doesn't mean it's the same quality wood/craftsmanship. Fender Fenders are made with better cuts, and therefore have better sounds and can usually hold sustain longer due to the wood properties, if it's the right kind.

well duh otherwise squiers would be expensive but the affinity will give a similar sound 2 low end fenders

^ So what does that have to do with the pickups, and reducing the hum? Thats all I'm really looking for.

It would be better then the stock pickups, right?

Gear:
It probably would, but could you not just get a noise gate? That'd be more useful, in my opinion, as it would probably help that and could be used for other basses later on.
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by Vampire 255
i study fenders and squiers squier affinity use alder standard squeirs use agathis

How do you work that one out. Alder is better than agathis. The squier standard series is better than the affinity series. The standard series uses agathis. they aren't going to put better wood in a cheaper guitar are they? Just take it from me, do your research properly before you post

Edit: in response to the threadstarter's question, I don't think they would significantly reduce the hum. And to the noise gate thing- unless you get a reasonable noise gate, in my experience, it can suck the tone out. I would save up a bit and get some seymour duncan basslines. I know what you mean about the car thing though, i'm saving for one too!
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Last edited by stevo192 at Apr 3, 2008,
Just a quick look...about the cheapest noise gate I can find is about $85. Those pickups are $35. It also seems like it would just be covering up a problem instead of fixing it.

And who knows if I'll ever buy another bass. Its not my first instrument.

Gear:
Nope, the standard series definitely uses agathis. Go check their site out.

edit: Oh, okay. I never checked the price on the pickups. If you aren't looking to get a new bass, then yeah, that's probably worth it. Sorry for all the fuss. ^^;
Quote by Wisthekiller

Quote by stevo192
How do you work that one out. Alder is better than agathis. The squier standard series is better than the affinity series. The standard series uses agathis. they aren't going to put better wood in a cheaper guitar are they? Just take it from me, do your research properly before you post

i do my research on the squier website and the fender website

Affinity
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0310400&name=P+Bass%26reg%3B

Standard
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/view_specs.php?full_partno=0321500&name=P+Bass%26reg%3B+Special

Last edited by Vampire 255 at Apr 3, 2008,
Oh dear god guys, help the TS out.

Okay, check to see if your pickguard is shielded. If it isn't, you might wanna do that. New pickups can't hurt, I would also suggest resoldering all the connections properly.

That should reduce your hum.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
^ Thank you sir. For $35 I figure I can't go wrong. Shielding seems like a cheap fix too. I figured I'd just replace everything...pots and jacks included.

Gear:
You could pot your pickups with shellac; that would reduce the hum if they haven't been potted. Which they probably haven't because its Squier. A tutorial can be found here http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8621738&postcount=3.

Edit: Wax can also be used I'm gonna go see if i can find a link.
EDIT: Found it. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11032514#post11032514
Last edited by hippiebass at Apr 3, 2008,
Emg P
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
Quote by Captain Insano
If you want to get some new pick-up I would say Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders are the way to go.

+1

i would also recommend the seymour duncan quarter pounders. I heard them on a modified p bass at a music shop and they sounded awesome.
^ I'm sure they are great. Thanks for everyone who recommended them. But they cost twice as much as what I was asking about. So has anyone ever used those GHS pickups?

Gear:
I know lots of people use GHS pickups in their guitars, mainly when they're modding on a budget. I also know that they find them fantastic for the price. So I think you'll be pleased with them, and that they'll give you a classic precision tone, and improve it, for your money.

GB&C is where you want to go to talk about GHS pickups, there are lots of fans there.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by eaton1012
quality cost money.

+1

And as your Squier is dirt cheap made, the quality will be equally low.

The cause of the hum - unpotted pups, bad wiring, bad grounding, bad shielding.

I would suggest doing it in order of cheapest first to try and sort out the noise.

This means in this order -

1. Bad grounding - check the ground is properly secured to the bridge by giving it a firm but gentle tug. Check the wiring for ground loops which will cause hum.

2. Bad wiring - I would suggest rewiring everything anyway! You'll know its better quality if you do it by hand yourself and you'll learn how your bass works - imperitive if something goes wrong!

3. Bad shielding - shielding stops interferance from other electrical appliances in the vicinity. To cut down on costs squiers use a very small shield of foil just over the pots. This still lets hum in. You can buy shielding tape from any hardware store probably. Get some of this and tape it over the pickguard and even in the cavity if you want!

4. Potting your pickups reduces hum by covering them in a resin and removing the unwanted noise. This take a bit of effort but is worth it. Someone has already linked to a guide.

5. If this doesn't stop it then get new pickups.

Remember, the easiest and cheapest way to reduce hum is to play away from electricals (this means move away from your TV, HiFi, Computer, anything running on an AC supply from the wall!).

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by roamingbard13
^ So what does that have to do with the pickups, and reducing the hum? Thats all I'm really looking for.

It would be better then the stock pickups, right?

buy some nice pickups
maybe a basslines
QP if you want a punchy fuller tone
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by Nutter_101
Oh dear god guys, help the TS out.

genius!

i say for $35 you've got nothing to lose.
and frankly, i don't care what wood a $100 bass is made of.
welcome to UG Bass.
actually they probably aren't much better than the squire pup. Also, it's weird that you have a lot of hum from your p-style pickup, that's usually associated with the j style ones. Why not take a few obvious cheap steps first: make sure the electronics are properly grounded, and that the cavity is shielded. Try another bass in the same room with the same amp, and make sure that your power isn't so dirty that it makes everything hum.

There is also a tutorial on wax potting noisy cheap pups in the gear building and modding forum, several actually, using several different materials as sealants. Check those out, they might solve the noisy problem for $5 instead of $35.

If you want good pups, save up at least for the quarter pounder as everyone has suggested. It is a great pickup and pretty reasonable price-wise too.

edit* damnit, jonnomainman beat me to all this... well I'm not deleating, I demand that I be heard