What components of an amplifier, apart from the speaker and tubes (if any), including type and number, have an effect on tone? Is it possible to make any tube amp sound like a boutique high gain masterpiece with a tube swap and a speaker change? Are there further components involved? If so, tell me more about them and their effects.

Thanks in advance
amps are made up of way more than tubes and speakers. there's plenty of things that go into the circuit. capacitors, resistors, transformers, diodes, pots... each has different values that manipulate the signal and alter the sound in some way.

if you're interested, look it up on google or something, it's probably going to be really complicated since you sound very new to the world of amps/electronics.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Everything.

In my opinion it's not so much the quality of parts; it's more about how the parts are used: the design.
In my opinion it's not so much the quality of parts; it's more about how the parts are used: the design.

I agree and a disagree at the same time; A very good desined amp with really cheap parts will sound okay, my not be as reliable but will still sound good. A poorly desinged amp will sound like a mess no matter what parts used. But a good desing and good parts= the best amp
Quote by UnsignedRecords
amps are made up of way more than tubes and speakers. there's plenty of things that go into the circuit. capacitors, resistors, transformers, diodes, pots... each has different values that manipulate the signal and alter the sound in some way.

if you're interested, look it up on google or something, it's probably going to be really complicated since you sound very new to the world of amps/electronics.

So what do you suggest I look for? You given me rather wide search criteria
i don't even know actually... you just opened a whole big complicated can of worms

i'm having trouble looking on google for a basics thing, but try this:
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/ampsmain.htm

also check the amp FAQ sticky at the top of the forum page.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Johnbryant
I agree and a disagree at the same time; A very good desined amp with really cheap parts will sound okay, my not be as reliable but will still sound good. A poorly desinged amp will sound like a mess no matter what parts used. But a good desing and good parts= the best amp

I wasn't referring to reliability, just tone. I meant that having parts made out of unobtainium, sprinkled with fairydust, doesn't mean that the amp sounds good. Just like cheap parts don't automatically equal bad amp.
Quote by Shred Head
What components of an amplifier, apart from the speaker and tubes (if any), including type and number, have an effect on tone? Is it possible to make any tube amp sound like a boutique high gain masterpiece with a tube swap and a speaker change? Are there further components involved? If so, tell me more about them and their effects.

Thanks in advance

If it was possible to make any amp sound like a boutique amp that easily, do you actually think ANY boutique amp companies would still be in business? Like Jon said, almost every component can slightly influence tone in some manner, but quality speakers will make the most noticeable difference, then tubes, IMO. Transformers, not so much... A friend of mine blew the transformer in his cherished '67 Marshall 50w plexi, & had to put a cheap used Fender Twin transformer in it (it's all he could afford at the time), & it made NO audible difference in the tone. Still sounded killer!
Check out this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Amp-Handbook-Understanding-Amplifiers/dp/087930863X
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
What components of an amplifier, apart from the speaker and tubes (if any), including type and number, have an effect on tone?
All of them. Seriously.
Is it possible to make any tube amp sound like a boutique high gain masterpiece with a tube swap and a speaker change?
No. Speakers and tubes are minimal compared to the design of the amp - and that's saying something!
Are there further components involved?
If so, tell me more about them and their effects.

Take a look at that schematic. Then realize that every single one of those parts has an effect on tone- values, placement, use/disuse of components, manufacturing techniques, etc etc. This is not like learning how a bike works. There are so many variables that it would be impossible to list them in a post. Hell, there are some variables that haven't even been discovered yet, or are poorly understood. Amps are not trivial things. You'd be best to get a book on the subject, read through it completely, and then start modifying or making your own amps to get some exposure and experience. There's not going to be a "Matrix" moment where you wake up and go "I know kung fu!"