I just picked up a peavey classic 20 and have heard that a speaker swap is a must. I am looking for opinions from those that have one of which type of speaker works best in this little beast. I was thinking an alnico blue 10 but will the magnet be too close to the tubes? And speaking of tubes... what ones work best in this amp? I have a nos mullard 12y7 in my valve jr. and love that but what do you all use?
Sweet. Those Classic 20's are kind of hard to come by.
An alnico blue would be excellent for the amp, but don't you need something higher wattage handling?
Maybe get a celestion gold (essentially a celestion blue with a higher wattage rating).
For tubes... maybe JJ's in the power section and tungsol in the preamp?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Trust this guy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks so much for the advise. I have seen Webber Alnico Blue dogs that handle 30 watts and thought that it might be ok for this amp. I was also looking at a alnico tone tubby 10". I will check out the celestion gold and see if they are in my price range.

question about the tubes.... If I switch them out with the same type (12AX&, EL84) but different brand will I need to have the amp rebiased?
^Oh. Yeah, just make sure your wattage rating of the speaker is above 20 watts.
If you can afford a celestion blue, you can afford a gold.
You shouldn't have to rebias, the classic series is fixed bias.
Not sure if the 20 is or not
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'd go for a Weber Blue Dog before I bought the Celestion. It's pretty much a clone of the alnico blue but for a better price, and you can get it in any wattage handling you need. Ted Weber is a speaker genius, the guy really creates some quality stuff. I had one for a while, and it was very nice.
Quote by jammin
I'd go for a Weber Blue Dog before I bought the Celestion. It's pretty much a clone of the alnico blue but for a better price, and you can get it in any wattage handling you need. Ted Weber is a speaker genius, the guy really creates some quality stuff. I had one for a while, and it was very nice.

+1. The Blue and Gold are a bit overpriced.

Try a 5751 in the preamp, or just a smoother 12AX7. Play around with it. I use my VJ to test different types and brands of preamp tubes, myself.
Well, yeah some alnico speaker along those lines will work.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
i know you heard that a speaker change is a must. but you own it, do you find it lacking?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Oh. Yeah, just make sure your wattage rating of the speaker is above 20 watts.
If you can afford a celestion blue, you can afford a gold.
You shouldn't have to rebias, the classic series is fixed bias.
Not sure if the 20 is or not

fixed bias means that you have you rebias.

Cathode bias is when you don't have to rebias it, right?
Correct.
He shouldn't have to rebias.
I meant Cathode biased, sorry.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I put an eminence 10 in and that sounds great. Really clean speaker tho.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
^Yeah, Eminence speakers are good too.
But, if you have the budget, go for a Weber or something.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I love this forum! Great advice I really appreciate it. I do not think the speaker is horrible but it can always sound better you know? I ahve heard so much about alnico speakers and figured it can always improve the tone to a degree.
Quote by buzzzxx
I have seen Webber Alnico Blue dogs that handle 30 watts and thought that it might be ok for this amp. I was also looking at a alnico tone tubby 10". I will check out the celestion gold and see if they are in my price range.

Are you looking to spend more on the speaker than you spent on the amp? Stick with the Weber, or maybe go with a Celestion Greenback. If you're hung up on an alnico, maybe check out an Eminence Red Fang 10.

Quote by buzzzxx
question about the tubes.... If I switch them out with the same type (12AX&, EL84) but different brand will I need to have the amp rebiased?

You might want to take it to a tech first time out, swap the tubes, and have him give it a full look over. Once he biases it (if he even has to), it shouldn't need it again.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
how does the 20 sound compared to the 30?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!