So I sing for this band and our drummer does backing vocals, except the fact that he sings with me most of the time when he's not supposed to and tries to take over which can be really annoying.

On recordings he ****s around and I'm sure he will in the gigs we've got coming up as well, although the crowd probably will think it's me making the stupid noises and so i'll look like a tw@t instead of him!

What I basically want to do is make him sing or even make any noises when there's backing tracks on the original recordings (we only do covers at the moment). At the moment I'm completely stuck as to how I can word this to him without being too much of a dIck, any ideas?

I wish we could kick him out but there's no-one else locally who can play drums and doesn't have a job which gets in the way of when we practise so that's not a solution.

Cheers.
Quote by MH400
Mute his microphone at gigs

/thread

I really like the sound of that but I really should say something so that it's more permanent, I can't blaim the PA system forever
Dude if your in a band you cant be quiet about every thing especially something thats going to effect your overall performance. If he really sucks as much as he says and sings when hes not supposed to then just get the whole band together and tell him.
Simple as that
Gear:
Epi les paul custom white
Fender hot rod deluxe
Jimi Hendrix wah
EHX big muff pi
Boss DS-1
Monster cables
just tell him not to sing as much, i did it with the lead guitarist of my old band, he just said sorry

just make sure to give him some more singing parts to keep him happy
SOLO STUFF HERE!
www.myspace.com/antioneire

BAND HERE!
www.myspace.com/theprojectire

Quote by element4433
See...this is why we make a plan. You have to know how you're going to masturbate in every situation.

Quote by Jack Off Jill
We're bros, bro. Not 'mos.
Tell him not to do any vocals during recording.

And just mute his mike at gigs. If he finds out, explain why you did it.

Sorted.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by hendrixyongpage
Dude if your in a band you cant be quiet about every thing especially something thats going to effect your overall performance. If he really sucks as much as he says and sings when hes not supposed to then just get the whole band together and tell him.
Simple as that

I think that's a good idea, but I'm finding it hard to think of a way to put it without being too harsh. I can just imagine myself starting off and going "there's a problem, when you sing backing vocals you NEVER STOP F*CKING AROUND! WE KNOW YOU'RE A D|CK, DON'T LET THE AUDIENCE" or something like that...
id ask him to sing solely more by himself in certain songs .. so like he could only sing like certain parts of the chorus or the whole chorus while ur nailin the verses and ****. because its kinda dickish to tell him to not sing at all. atleast he has balls enough to sing. but you might lose a friend and a fellow bandmate by telling him to not sing at all. so id just stick with asking him to only sing choruses or certain parts of them
look him square in the face and tell him to hit the ****ing skins drumboy! no singin' for yous!
...even when i'm sleepin' i'm keepin' it real.
Quote by MH400
Tell him not to do any vocals during recording.

And just mute his mike at gigs. If he finds out, explain why you did it.

Sorted.
+1 for your first part.

But don't mute his mike and then if he finds out explain, 'cause then you'll look like a douche. Be upfront about it.
Quote by hendrixyongpage
Simple as that
+3 Tell it to him like it is.

EDIT:
Quote by Les Paul Ell
I think that's a good idea, but I'm finding it hard to think of a way to put it without being too harsh. I can just imagine myself starting off and going "there's a problem, when you sing backing vocals you NEVER STOP F*CKING AROUND! WE KNOW YOU'RE A D|CK, DON'T LET THE AUDIENCE" or something like that...
Just tell it to him really maturely, like "Dude, we're in a band and sometimes when you mess around it ruins the song man, and that's not cool. We're here to make music" or something like that. Depends on how well you know him too. Also, get the bands support it's super important.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

Last edited by AboveTheBridge at Apr 3, 2008,
tell him to sing solo, solo the crowd cant here him
very cheesy
Gear:
Epi les paul custom white
Fender hot rod deluxe
Jimi Hendrix wah
EHX big muff pi
Boss DS-1
Monster cables
I'd say that you should just try and work with him. Maybe he's got some ideas that maybe you never thought of. Discuss it with him after the next gig or practice and all that stuff. Just say "Hey man, what's up with all the singing at the wrong moments?". You should be a LITTLE stern about it. You don't wanna let him think its okay. and DONT let him know that he can't be replaced. Drummers tend to get extremely arrogant about that.
hang him, im sorry its the only way

srsly though: just tell him that he's only supposed to sing certain parts. Figure it out and a Band practise one time, e.g. say "ok so then i'll sing this bit and you sing that bit" and everyone has to stop playing if he f*cks around
Okay, thanks everyone. What I'm now gonna do is let the other guys know of the problem and that it's really not me making all the annoying noises! THEN we wait till next band practise where after the first song where he sings in the wrong place we'll have a word with him after it and let him know that that's not what we want from him doing backing and to just generally lay off. If that doesn't work then it's the mute button!
you've got to tell him what you want him to know. You cant be soft when it comes to bands. Look at Metallica and Megadeth. Megadeth wouldn't have existed if it wasnt for James being a prick.