So i was wondering does the valveking have fixed bias? Where i dont have to bias the tubes if there the same type? Im goin from EHX 6l6 to JJ 6l6, would i need to bias? Also i had a thread awhile back about my VKs tubes acting strange, but i didnt get much feedback off of it so ill just throw it in here also. While playin my VK my amp started makin popin sounds occasionally, sometimes even when it was on standby. I took the tubes out which might have been a dumb thing to do, and i put them back in, after playin for a few minutes with no poping all of a sudden i smelled a burning smell coming from my amp. I went behind and checked the tubes and one of the tubes was red hot on the inside. Also the tubes would flash when the amp popped. Now im hoping this is just faulty tubes and nothing serious. Could anybody clarify whats going on, before i put my new tubes in and potentially ruin my tubes or amp? Thanks.
I'm sure the PVK is a fixed bias amp meaning that it needs to be biased after you put in some new tubes.
But does it matter if there still the same type of tube? Im buying them off of tubedepot.com and im buying four of them. Plus i dont have an amp tech anywhere near me i think, except maybe guitarcenter but i dont trust them with my amp after hearing some stories on here.
Well i dont know of any amp techs around my area, but i have a guitar center about an hour away. Would it be wise to have them bias my tubes?
Alright but i also just read on hear that the peavey is fixed biased, which i assume means you dont have to rebais the amp? Or does that not matter if you change brands? Sorry for all the questions, im 16 and if this amp dies on me i wont be able to get another one for a long time, so im takin precautions to make sure i do it right.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Yes, they won't wear out as fast and will sound better.

Its not like it would really be a major difference though in terms of life span. If you stick to the same types of tubes it should be ok. If you go through tubedepot.com I believe they will give you tubes that match the bias of your amp.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
What about the valveking is it where you dont have to bias if it is the same type of tube? Or will i have to rebias it when i put the jjs in? Ive heard advice from both sides and id like to know which one is right? Is the VK fixed or cathode biased? Also can anybody tell about my amp popping?
Let the guys at Tube depot know that you own a valveking. They will match up tubes to match the amp. I'm pretty sure the JJ 6l6's I got from them had a rating of 16. I can't remember exactly but they should be able to tell you.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Alright thanks, so since they match tubes to the amps that would mean i wouldnt have to have them biased?
Quote by yocomobebes
What about the valveking is it where you dont have to bias if it is the same type of tube? Or will i have to rebias it when i put the jjs in? Ive heard advice from both sides and id like to know which one is right? Is the VK fixed or cathode biased? Also can anybody tell about my amp popping?

the Valveking is fixed bias
and YES you DO have to rebias it after you put some new tubes in.

I've read it so many times on this forum, im sure.