Poll: Gun Control: Good or Bad
Poll Options
View poll results: Gun Control: Good or Bad
Yes, Gun control (They just create violence)
357 48%
No, We need to protect ourselves
199 27%
I dont care
34 5%
A little more regulation but thats it
155 21%
Voters: 746.
Page 1 of 20
I was wondering how many people on UG think that there should be gun control or not

Personally I believe in gun control
1)People argue that they need guns to protect themselves but if nobody had guns there wouldn't be a problem...
2)Guns get into the wrong hands lots of the times... ie. Virginia Tech

State your opinion but dont be disrespectful or irrational
There are still shootings in Europe, just MUCH less.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by somedude01
America: school shootings.
Europe: nothing.

Conclusion: America= bad.

/ Gun Control is a good thing if it works properly i.e. literally no-one can get them.
Which makes the whole thing slightly infeasible, as military will always have guns, and that means that someone can find a way to get the guns from the military...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
if guns are outlawed, only people who legally have them will give them up. If you're gonna kill someone, having a gun is the least of your problem. And if anyone says England, Its an island.
Bторой член в"Русскoй группe."PM Vindication to join
Quote by psychedelic420
I think Tiksi settled the matters. haha great job!

Quote by happytimeharry
The power of Christ compels me...

to touch myself.

Deputy Leader, Secretary General, UG Ambassador USA
i think they should be regulated, but I do think people need to be able to protect themselves, a lot of people tend to argue "but if we had gun control there would be no more guns" this is pure bullshit, it just means that law abiding citizens wouldn't have guns. Do you really think criminals care about gun laws?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Good luck getting the guns. The only way you would take my guns would be killing me. Although if they ever did say that they were ban I would point them to the lake they fell in while i was fishing.

I carry my handgun around from time to time when I have to be in bad parts of the town late at night (early in the morning), but for the most part 90% of the guns I own are for fun / target shooting.

PS: Probably more guns are owned for fun (hunting etc) then are owned for protection. Your poll is retarded because it makes people think all we have guns for is protection. Also the last thing we need is the government giving us more instructions on what we do. Already can't smoke, and drugs are outlawed. There is very little difference between smoking pot and drinking. Most people I know can drive alot people high then drunk.
Last edited by ViperScale at Apr 3, 2008,
weren't these topics banned? Anyway, banning guns only stop those who legally want to own guns from owning them. Just like drugs are illegal, but countless people still use them.
"If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."
[ takes ][ makes ][ he's ] your fuck[ be strong ][ hate ] maroon 5. It's [[ fucking ]] pantera.
You people need to learn that Gun control might look like a good idea, but go about taking all the guns from everyone in America. Could you do that? Do you truly believe outlawing something will make it go away? Prohibition anyone? "War on drugs"? Making laws against something doesn't make it all go away.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
if you outlaw guns, you'd better outlaw anything else that can be used to kill a person i.e. everything.

also, outlawing guns will create an immense backlash from americans that like to hunt. that's about half the country.
I have perfect control over my gun... I only shoot things that need to be shot
if we implemt a full on gun control/ban then it will cost even more money to control it than it is already, i just think a bit more regulation would be nice becasue its sad when you can get a gun basically anywhere and its easy to get a license for it.
Damn, I hate these threads. I've a strong opinion (and the facts that back it up) but, Christ, there's too many gun control threads- and being the opinionated jerk I am I usually have to voice an opinion and get into massive arguments.

Not gonna happen this time... maybe....

Yay to gun control by the way! Guns are unnecessary, just do harm.
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
In my radical opinion, there'd be no backlash from the hunters if we just kicked most of the South out of the Union. How does secession feel now, bitch!?
Shiny metallic purple armor.
Quote by Hobolad
Damn, I hate these threads. I've a strong opinion (and the facts that back it up) but, Christ, there's too many gun control threads- and being the opinionated jerk I am I usually have to voice an opinion and get into massive arguments.

Not gonna happen this time... maybe....

Yay to gun control by the way! Guns are unnecessary, just do harm.

School shootings are a relatively new thing. Openly available guns are not. Obviously this shows that something has changed with the way people today think.

And to those who said it was just america, hasn't there been a huge increase in violence among british teenagers? Not necessarily shootings, but still, it goes to show that it's happening in more places than just here.
Quote by Paper Snowman
In my radical opinion, there'd be no backlash from the hunters if we just kicked most of the South out of the Union. How does secession feel now, bitch!?

gtfo

I would also like to add that the cities that have the highest amount of gun control have the highest rate of violent crime in this country.
Guns are only dangerous in the hands of people that don't know how to use them.

I don't know how it is in USA. But in Argentina you need a special permit to buy or posses a gun.
Of course, there are smugglers and probably you can buy one in a poverty neighborhood from someone. Over here, you can also bribe the sellers in weapons shops.
But from a LEGAL point of view, you need a permit and to take lessons to posses guns, which is ok for me.

How is it over there?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
gtfo

I would also like to add that the cities that have the highest amount of gun control have the highest rate of violent crime in this country.

can you provide a source? I've heard that many times but haven't actually seen evidence.
More gun control.

They're illegal except for hunting here anyway. Well, detectives, SWAT and the armed forces can use them here too - but not the general public, security guards, or normal police like in America.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by ViperScale
There is very little difference between smoking pot and drinking.

There is in fact, except the safer drug is weed.
Quote by Phill-Rock
More gun control.

They're illegal except for hunting here anyway. Well, detectives, SWAT and the armed forces can use them here too - but not the general public, security guards, or normal police like in America.

Wtf, your police don't carry guns? How do they expect to apprehend a violent criminal? "Stop right there..or i'll club you with this stick"?
Quote by urik
Guns are only dangerous in the hands of people that don't know to use them.

I don't know how it is in USA. But in Argentina you need a special permit to buy or posses a gun.
Of course, there are smugglers and probably you can buy one in a poverty neighborhood from someone. Over here, you can also bribe the sellers in weapons shops.
But from a LEGAL point of view, you need a permit and to take lessons to posses guns, which is ok for me.

How is it over there?

it varies a bit state to state, but in general for handguns you need a permit and have to take classes and a background check and all that, for rifles and shotguns you don't need a permit but have to pass a basic background check, for automatic weapons they must be made and imported (if applicable) before 1986 and you need special clearance from the ATF.

Last.fm
Quote by Spamwise
School shootings are a relatively new thing. Openly available guns are not. Obviously this shows that something has changed with the way people today think.

I'd guess that'd be desensitization and gun culture and such, though honestly that's just a thought and I've no facts to back it up (I've not looked into that aspect to be honest).

And to those who said it was just america, hasn't there been a huge increase in violence among british teenagers? Not necessarily shootings, but still, it goes to show that it's happening in more places than just here.

Yep, more violence. Violence from a yob without a gun isn't as bad as it'd be with yobs with guns. Hell, it's bad enough when they get their hands on illegal guns (Where'd they come from anyway? Must be made in factories somewhere legally) but imagine if they could just go into Walmart and pick 'em up. And don't say "there are rigorous checks" 'cause- really- is any amount of checks justifiable? Everyone'd have a clean slate up to the point where they shoot someone or whatever, and very few take their jobs seriously, who knows how rigorous these checks actually are?

Damn, I don't wanna get sucked in..... looks like I'm gonna.... crap.
Quote by aaron13
Quote by imgooley
gtfo

Have you seen Japan? Guns of all kinds are outlawed completely there. They have a very low crime rate and a murder rate about 5 times smaller than the U.S. Tokyo is the world's safest major city.
Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Keep guns, because gun owners are responsible gun owners. Don't let a couple of gun wielding psychos scare you from outlawing guns entirely.
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
American gun laws are so fucked up already that they'd be impossible to change. The backlash would be unbelievable. Americans like their guns almost as much as they like their burgers and doughnuts.

Quote by imgooley
gtfo

Maybe because gun control has been increased in the places with the highest rate of violent crime
Quote by Paper Snowman
Have you seen Japan? Guns of all kinds are outlawed completely there. They have a very low crime rate and a murder rate about 5 times smaller than the U.S. Tokyo is the world's safest major city.

yeah but guns where never really big there in the first place, here there are already a crapload of them around. That's the big difference between a lot of places where gun control works and here, where it probably wouldn't.

Last.fm

Yep, more violence. Violence from a yob without a gun isn't as bad as it'd be with yobs with guns. Hell, it's bad enough when they get their hands on illegal guns (Where'd they come from anyway? Must be made in factories somewhere legally) but imagine if they could just go into Walmart and pick 'em up. And don't say "there are rigorous checks" 'cause- really- is any amount of checks justifiable? Everyone'd have a clean slate up to the point where they shoot someone or whatever, and very few take their jobs seriously, who knows how rigorous these checks actually are?

Well you have to be 18. You're right, some people are lazy about doing checks, which is messed up. They really shouldn't be sold at walmart as well.
Quote by black007hawk2
Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Keep guns, because gun owners are responsible gun owners. Don't let a couple of gun wielding psychos scare you from outlawing guns entirely.

You're right. Guns don't kill people. But people with guns kill people at an astonishingly high rate. Think about it: would you be more inclined to rob a store if you couldn't use a gun?
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah but guns where never really big there in the first place, here there are already a crapload of them around. That's the big difference between a lot of places where gun control works and here, where it probably wouldn't.

It can only get worse, though. I mean, as the companies make faster, stronger, more efficient guns and such. Why not just end it, stop making guns, end their circulation, and take it from there?
Quote by aaron13
To be honest, with all these people in the States having guns, I sincerely doubt that gun control would do anything, it only stops the innocents from obtaining guns and plus its unconstitutional. But yet, these days, it seems as though its just a piece of paper, not an idea like it should be.
American gun laws are so ****ed up already that they'd be impossible to change. The backlash would be unbelievable. Americans like their guns almost as much as they like their burgers and doughnuts.

Lol, have you even been here? Most people I know are against guns.
Quote by Spamwise
Wtf, your police don't carry guns? How do they expect to apprehend a violent criminal? "Stop right there..or i'll club you with this stick"?

Yeah, and other non-lethal weapons.

Only the normal police though, like I said. All the rest - detectives, special forces, SWAT, drug squads etc etc. can use guns.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Paper Snowman

Japan is a smaller country, and is completely different, culturally. The US has a do it yourself ethic, instead of a do it for me ethic. Most people would rather protect themselves than have someone protect them. Also, Americans are more truculent than the Japanese. Japan has a culture based largely on morality, whereas in the US, people are far more crude.

just my $0.02
At least we need a ban on semi-automatic rifles for public use. I don't care what woods you're hunting in, you don't need an M16 to bring down a deer.
Quote by Paper Snowman
You're right. Guns don't kill people. But people with guns kill people at an astonishingly high rate. Think about it: would you be more inclined to rob a store if you couldn't use a gun?

Well neither would the people that you're robbing, so it wouldn't matter. Just take a knife or some other lethal weapon instead.
Quote by bequickorbedead
American gun laws are so fucked up already that they'd be impossible to change. The backlash would be unbelievable. Americans like their guns almost as much as they like their burgers and doughnuts.

Thanks a lot for generalizing Americans.
Airship is liek teh best giitar playr evr!!111!1!

Quote by solidgay
Don't use distortion pedals. Just bury your guitar for three weeks, and then dig it up, that should do the job.

^Best Reply Ever!

Quote by imdeth
metaldud damn it I said ignore the penis!
It's bad, becasue when the zombie invasion (someday) happens we won't be ready. :\
666 BRO