Well I've decided to do my mandatory school science fair project on guitar amps and effects. For an experiment I decided to compare an amp's OD to an OD pedal so I was wondering what/why/if musicians prefer one over the other, and why? I was also wondering what you think I should compare like "Max. Gain Level" between the 2 or something. If you don't mind I might print out some of your posts to show what/why musicians would prefer one over the other, but only if you say somewhere in the post that it's okay. I won't be printing out usernames or anything like that. Thanks!
Unless you have the proper diagnostic equipment to make proper quantitative measurements of differences in various sounds (eg. an oscilloscope and signal generator), this topic will make one piss poor project. Have you consulted your teacher about it?
Amp OD=Real OD
OD Pedal=Emulates Amp OD

Tube amp overdrive, whether it is from the power or preamp section is going to be more reactive to picking dynamics and more touch sensitive than pedal overdrive.
Well, overdrive pedals EMULATE amp overdrive, and most of the time it doesn't do too hot of a job. Even the higher quality pedal overdrives can't match the tone of an overdriven tube amp.

You can use that if you want to.

And yeah, read the post above me, I was going to say that.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Apr 3, 2008,
apparently not.
its an 8th grade project in a school where nobody knows anything about guitars.
anyone passing by my project probably won't know a difference between the two anyway.
i'm just looking for stuff to make it sound more complicated.
I perfer just to boost my amp with a tubescreamer or a clean boost. Either way.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by darkarbiter7
Amp OD=Real OD
OD Pedal=Emulates Amp OD

Tube amp overdrive, whether it is from the power or preamp section is going to be more reactive to picking dynamics and more touch sensitive than pedal overdrive.
Well, overdrive pedals EMULATE amp overdrive, and most of the time it doesn't do too hot of a job. Even the higher quality pedal overdrives can't match the tone of an overdriven tube amp.

Thanks.
Mind if I print out your post?
I won't be using your username or anything and I probably won't be using it, but just in case?
The teachers marking your project may know absolutely nothing about guitar technology, but they will know about scientific method and what constitutes an effective scientific investigation. I'm just trying to help you here. Basing your project on something as subjective and ambiguous as 'better tone', with your only research coming from anonymous internet responders is a recipe for failure in my opinion.
I like using the amp's OD/Distortion. If you buy an amp and then use a pedal for your sound you're pretty much wasting your money.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Oh, then you should be fine.
Maybe you could show the difference between Overdrive and Distortion?

Go ahead and use my post.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by darkarbiter7
Oh, then you should be fine.
Maybe you could show the difference between Overdrive and Distortion?

That actually sounds like a much better idea since they are really often confused.
I'll keep that in mind but i'll leave this thread open to more opinion.
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you buy an amp and then use a pedal for your sound you're pretty much wasting your money.

Hold on a second, let me call all of the guitar players who use fender twins or tube bass amps and pedals for dirt that they've been wasting their money all these years. I'm sure that they will be glad to finally be clued in.
OD Pedal> Amp distortion (They call it OD sometimes)
Overdriven Tube Amp> All
Overdriven Tube Amp =/= Hearing
Which=
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by jammin
Hold on a second, let me call all of the guitar players who use fender twins or tube bass amps and pedals for dirt that they've been wasting their money all these years. I'm sure that they will be glad to finally be clued in.

Quote by jammin

Yes, that's very clever. Have a medal.

I'm sure those people have their reasons for that, maybe they need cleans more than they do overdrive or distortion. I don't know. But I know that I'd rather spend my money on an amp that has the sound I want without the need for pedals.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
The one example off the top of my head is Queens of the Stone Age. They hardly ever play without distortion, and yet Josh Homme uses an Ampeg V4, which will knock your walls down before it overdrives. He prefers to get his dirt from pedals.

For many applications, tube overdrive will be ideal. Hell, I'm building a 1/2 watt tube amp to get just that. However, there's many players out there who prefer the sound of floor pedals, and to generalize and say that they're wasting their money is unfair.
Quote by thankyougermany
Overdriven Tube Amp> All
Which=

+1
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by thankyougermany
Overdriven Tube Amp> All
Which=

this post is filled with win.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622

this post is filled with win.

OMG I GOT A GOLFCLAP!!!
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
The Gain channel on my amp is pretty amazing. With a high gain setting I can pull of hard rock and even metal (not your deathcore type metal, but your more classic type stuff), and if I turn down the 2 gain nobs I can SRV and everything in between the two.

I use my amp for high gain and a TS and OD pedal to help break up my clean sound as its not practical to adjust the amp settings between songs at a gig. But to answer your question, I prefer my amps gain channel to a pedal.
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
Quote by timi_hendrix
Yes, that's very clever. Have a medal.

I'm sure those people have their reasons for that, maybe they need cleans more than they do overdrive or distortion. I don't know. But I know that I'd rather spend my money on an amp that has the sound I want without the need for pedals.

ok. just dont be a dick about it.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
No pedal even comes close. What you'll really be doing is comparing diode (or transistor) clipping to tube clipping.

Good luck.
i prefer the distortion that comes out of my blackstar valve pedal to my vox amp because it is more versitile and smoother.
Quote by timi_hendrix
I like using the amp's OD/Distortion. If you buy an amp and then use a pedal for your sound you're pretty much wasting your money.

Yeah because Satch and Vai love to give money to the companies making their sig pedals.

Don't take this personally; I'm just showing a counterexample + I prefer amp distortion too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by sg622
ok. just dont be a dick about it.

have you SEEN his user title and sig?!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by mr_hankey
No pedal even comes close. What you'll really be doing is comparing diode (or transistor) clipping to tube clipping.

Good luck.

+1

And if there's an OD pedal that I like somehow more than the overdrive on my tube amps, its gonna cost more than the amp lol. But using an OD pedal in conjunction with my amp's natural OD is really great also.