Hey guys, my old computer just recently pooped out and died, so I need a replacement for about $600-900 USD. I was thinking a desktop, because portability is not a problem, and desktops usually boast better performance. Quite honestly, I'm a noob at computers, and most likely would end up buying a crappy Dell or something that's junk. Can you guys reccommend anything?
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
Quote by JimmehHunter
how are you writing this?

O.o

>.>

<.<

...backs slowly out of thread...

Nah lol, I'm at my friend's house. What kind of HP would you reccommend?
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
For 600-900 USD you wouldn't get a really good-performing desktop if you're into gaming and such... Although you might be able to get a decent dell (yeah right huh?) or HP.

If you have the cash and still want a laptop, and you have uh... 3000USD to completely waste, get an IBM Thinkpad X300. Or not...

A good IBM laptop to get is a T61, or any of the T-series. They're great for the price, and last FOREVER. Just don't get Vista; install XP. EDIT: T-series come as low as 700USD, well within your price range, and max out at 1000USD.

Apple MacBooks come at a little over 1000USD, and are well worth the money... although you may not like them if you're used to PC. From Apple you can also get an iMac for at most 1500USD.

I only really named laptops, because there are so many good ones on the market. And really, laptops are getting rather powerful now, and you can take them around, so it may end up being better to invest in a good laptop (go with the IBM!!!)
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
A MacBook is just out of you're price range but it would be well worth the extra money. They are absolutely fantastic.
Quote by bequickorbedead
A MacBook is just out of you're price range but it would be well worth the extra money. They are absolutely fantastic.

+1, i have a personal macbook which is amazing and the family computer is a power mac G5, both excellent computers... and mac really doesn't take long to get used to at all
Quote by americnidiot
+1, i have a personal macbook which is amazing and the family computer is a power mac G5, both excellent computers... and mac really doesn't take long to get used to at all

+1
I have one too, and I recomend it of course
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Quote by Bleeding_me
+1
I have one too, and I recomend it of course

Three of us in a row, there's no way he could ignore our very good advice
Hmm, maybe an affordable Apple or IBM it is...I'll have to look into some of these
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Quote by g.siddarth
Hmm, maybe an affordable Apple or IBM it is...I'll have to look into some of these

If you're going Apple (which you should ) go for a MacBook. A Mac mini would be cheaper, but the MacBook has better specs and the portability is extremely useful, you never really realise how much until you buy a laptop over a desktop but it is. iMacs are great too but they would be even further out of your price range...
www.newegg.com

Get a friend to build it for you if you don't know what you're doing. But you can't really save more money than buying from Newegg.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Jackintehbox
Build your own. It's not that hard, just look up a guide online.

But then he couldn't have OSX
Quote by bequickorbedead
But then he couldn't have OSX

But then he would have to worry about proprietary hardware and overpriced parts.

Plus you can get OSX to work on a PC if you tinker around.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by Jackintehbox
You're only proving my point...

OSX is fantastic, and you can run windows on Bootcamp if you're bored and miss your computer crashing...

Quote by Xiaoxi
But then he would have to worry about proprietary hardware and overpriced parts.

The hardware's still great though, and MacBooks aren't really much more expensive than other laptops of similar specs.

Quote by Xiaoxi
Plus you can get OSX to work on a PC if you tinker around.

Well not legally...
Quote by bequickorbedead

The hardware's still great though, and MacBooks aren't really much more expensive than other laptops of similar specs.

Well not legally...

But if one piece of hardware dies, you're screwed. Proprietary systems suck because the manufacturer knows you can only buy their products to replace/upgrade, so they can charge whatever price they want.

Also, a good MacBook costs more than the TS's budget, while a good PC laptop is easy to find around the $900 range. And you're wrong, I can get better specs for cheaper on PC.

Really, I got nothing against the Mac OS itself. I just don't like proprietary systems, such as Macs, Dells, etc.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
But if one piece of hardware dies, you're screwed. Proprietary systems suck because the manufacturer knows you can only buy their products to replace/upgrade, so they can charge whatever price they want.

There's another side of that argument though. Because it's all done by Apple, if you have any problems you can just send it away there and they'll fix it, and it comes with a years warranty and the choice of up to 3. If you build one yourself, you need to find the exact part which is wrong and replace it.

I'm not the fondest of proprietary systems either but they do have their advantages and I love OSX so much that I couldn't care less about the little extra money that I needed to spend...

Oh and 3rd party RAM for the win
Quote by bequickorbedead
There's another side of that argument though. Because it's all done by Apple, if you have any problems you can just send it away there and they'll fix it, and it comes with a years warranty and the choice of up to 3. If you build one yourself, you need to find the exact part which is wrong and replace it.
Warranty is a weak argument. There are often the case of a product dieing right after the warranty expires. How convenient! Buying 3 years worth of warranty costs hundreds of dollars for computers. Apples is also notorious for having poor customer service and support.

Building a computer solves the exact problem you are falsely claiming. DIY computers are the most flexible and swappable computers and you can have any number of combinations you want, given the basic formats. For example, knowing that your motherboard supports Core 2 Duo and upward, has an nVidia chipset, and has SATA connections, you can add any combination of products within those 3 structures. You have warranty for the individual components, and won't have to ship off your whole computer and pay hundreds just to take out one component and replace it with another.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Warranty is a weak argument. There are often the case of a product dieing right after the warranty expires. How convenient! Buying 3 years worth of warranty costs hundreds of dollars for computers. Apples is also notorious for having poor customer service and support.

Building a computer solves the exact problem you are falsely claiming. DIY computers are the most flexible and swappable computers and you can have any number of combinations you want, given the basic formats. For example, knowing that your motherboard supports Core 2 Duo and upward, has an nVidia chipset, and has SATA connections, you can add any combination of products within those 3 structures. You have warranty for the individual components, and won't have to ship off your whole computer and pay hundreds just to take out one component and replace it with another.

I'd love to build my computer, but I haven't the slightest inkling of anything. I wouldn't know what parts are good or bad, or hell, even if I got all the necessary parts to build a computer. I'm not looking for a top-notch super high quality computer, just something that'll let me get my homework done easily, browse UG, and play some Command and Conquer or something to that effect.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
the guys who say $400-900 isn't enough are crazy.
First off, things are cheaper in America (as opposed to UK)
Second, assuming you're saying 450 (GBP) - that could get you a very decent computer. I don't know how good at the moment because I've not built a computer in a while - but after having to budget a lot when building my own, I know 450 quid is a bomb.
Firstly, you have basics: keyboard and mouse already. That'll save 30+ (GB)quid
Then you can also recycle monitor, speakers, sound card?, fans, cd rom drive. If your current hard drive isn't completely broken, you can also reuse that as a second drive.
Ok, that's where you don't need to spend excess amount of money for minimal gain. You can always update those bit by bit when you gain a bit of money.
Now, all you need are a case (20 quid), CPU (70ish quid), Motherboard (70ish quid), maybe extra fans (20 quid), hard drive (50 quid), cables (20 quid), GFX card (120 quid for a very decent one that plays most any game of today) and memory.
Then if you need to rebuy any of the recyclables, you have some extra cash for that. Et voila, vous avez un bon ordinateur?

edit: just read your above post and building a computer isn't rocket science. I figured it when I was 14ish.
Last edited by untalented at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by g.siddarth
I'd love to build my computer, but I haven't the slightest inkling of anything. I wouldn't know what parts are good or bad, or hell, even if I got all the necessary parts to build a computer.

Which is why I said: get a friend to do it for you.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana