So I really need a cab and I want to get the mesa 2x12 recto cab.

There is only one on ebay currently and today I emailed 8 people about their cabs they are selling on craigslist.

I already got a response from someone and he said that he would ship it to me as long as I paid him first by money order or check.

Is this safe to do? I suggested the guy paypal and I'm waiting to see what he says. I thought someone on here would know how I should go about this since a lot of people on here sell/buy/trade.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
I prefer to use Paypal for ebay, and cash and in-person stuff for CL. I'd really encourage you to just have a little patience and wait for a cab to turn up on your local Craigslist, so you can meet the seller in person, and check out the cab. I see at least a couple Recto cabs on my CL every few weeks.
having bought all of my current gear used off the internet with a 100% success rate, i sure as hell wouldn't buy unseen/tested thru craigslist. at least with ebay/paypal there's the illusion of buyer-protection. if i'm gonna buy something thru CL then i want to see the item in person and have the time to test it out.
Last edited by sethp at Apr 3, 2008,
Don't buy anything more than 20 dollars off of cragslist.

Wait, and buy one on ebay.

Patience is a virtue.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
The only cabs on my local CL I have ever seen are marshall 4x12s.

I should be patient though...I sold my combo in order to buy a cab and it's proving very difficult to not have any speakers.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by HavokStrife
Don't buy anything more than 20 dollars off of cragslist.

Wait, and buy one on ebay.

Patience is a virtue.

That is, unless you have a chance to go and see the cab and test it out. Other than that, don't let ANYONE ship anything to you over Craigslist. It;s not monitered, so it's easy to get scammed
alright yeah. I was just having a little no-speaker withdrawal. you guys have convinced me to wait and buy on ebay.

My question now is how is buying a shipped item from craigslist any different than buying from someone on this forum?
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
It's not. Thats the thing. He can ask for money, walk away and delete his account and you'll never hear from him again. With eBay, you have Paypal and buyer agreements in place.
so even if i got the guy to pay with paypal it wouldnt be safe?
My brother got ripped off on ebay. The guy claimed we never sent the item and we had no way of proving it because we didn't buy shipping. (always buy shipping so you can prove you sent something!!)
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
If you ended up working through paypal, you would be MUCH safer than without it. Just for tracking purposes. The most part is everything will be fine whatever you do. It is always better to ere on the side of caution though.
Quote by elchico04

My question now is how is buying a shipped item from craigslist any different than buying from someone on this forum?

ebay has its own conflict resolution service. also, people usually selling stuff on ebay are in it to build up a positive reputation, with feedback rating. craigslist is entirely anonymous.
Quote by elchico04
so even if i got the guy to pay with paypal it wouldnt be safe?
My brother got ripped off on ebay. The guy claimed we never sent the item and we had no way of proving it because we didn't buy shipping. (always buy shipping so you can prove you sent something!!)

that really sucks. a dude almost ripped me off when i tried to sell a computer on ebay. he wanted to pay thru paypal and pick it up in person.
no tracking info = no proof of shipment/receipt
Quote by sethp
craigslist is entirely anonymous.

to an extent

I live in the state where some crazy lady got charged with attempted murder or something for posting an ad for an assassin to kill her husband.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
to an extent

I live in the state where some crazy lady got charged with attempted murder or something for posting an ad for an assassin to kill her husband.

thru CL? that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard

i met a girl who's best friend used a Kinko's shop to post a message on CL about another girl who has sexal-assault fantasies and then posted her street address.
lol. wow. yeah the assassin thing is on the craigslist wikipedia page.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
oh no! I lost my mind and sent the money to the guy from craigslist!

but wait...it was through paypal and he set up a buy it now auction on ebay.
Assuming this will work out for me, I will try to use this method a lot more in the future.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mus.cgi

that is a great site to search the both ebay and craigslist at the same time.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12