okay, so i know a place where i can get a very gently used EMG-81 for 70 USD.

1 ) in my sexy guitar, a modded-to-hell epi LP Junior, which used to suck dick, but is somewhat better now, i currently have a GFS crunchy paf with a gold cover. now i obviously know that this cover can be removed, and im planning on using this pup in my ibanez. i know i'll have to clean some wax off the pup when i take the cover off, but is it still considered potted, and i shouldnt get much noise?

2) will the plywood just make the emg sound god awful, and a total waste of 70 bucks? im tight on cash, no job, im only 15

3)now also, is the EMG 81's cover removable at all? and if so, is it possible, do you think, to replace the original cover with the gold GFS cover? i just really love the color sceme on the junior right now.

i also plan on buy a crybaby GBC-95 or whatever it is, the original for 40 used. maybe i'll talk them down to 25 or 30. That combined with the EMG should be pretty nice, right?

i usually play pop/punk, a little metal/speed ****. i know the EMG isnt best for clean, so i'll use the ibanez with the GFS crunchy pat in it for that. right now i have a SS practice amp, but i play through my friends' power amp and randall cab. and im soon to get an Epi valve junior.

can you guys give some advice?

thanks so much.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I wouldn't sink 70 bucks into a shoddy 100$ plywood guitar. Why not put the EMG in the ibanaz and keep the neck pup for clean stuff? And get the crybaby.
Quote by SVStee
I wouldn't sink 70 bucks into a shoddy 100$ plywood guitar. Why not put the EMG in the ibanaz and keep the neck pup for clean stuff? And get the crybaby.

i am considering throwing the EMG into the ibanez. it's better for a shred type of guitar anyway, excellent neck!

but btw, i was able to make that epi junior awesome, sustain is forever, even through a crappy crate MX10 LoL

and mint, thank you so much man.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
but also, i have almost no room to work with in the ibanez, and i dont have the cash to sink into a nice neck pup. obviously i cant use the emg pots to wire up a passive either. so, it shall be intersting, unless i find a way to fit another volume/tone in on that damn full pickguard. lol.
Quote by Invader Jim
Oh, about the potting.. wax potting generally refers to filling the cover with wax, to prevent feedback and rattling between the cover and pickup itself. Obviously, this doesn't matter if a pickup has no cover. Open pickups can still be wax dipped, but I think that refers to dipping the coils in wax before taping them up and assembling the pickups.

You won't get more feedback by removing the cover, but it will be a bugger to get the wax off! ;P Just be very careful not to damage the wires, coils if they're exposed, and the bobbin tops. Most of the wax will just break or scrape off, but I remember using a cigarette lighter a few times to help (I don't smoke! .. and I was VERY lucky not to melt the pickups.. so let's just say that I didn't really care for them much).

Back onto the EMGs.. they're epoxy-potted into the covers, making them impossible to remove, and it's pretty much impossible to remove epoxy resin from ANYTHING. Also, because they come expoxied into covers, they don't actually look like traditional pickups inside. I'm pretty sure that they don't have conventional little bobbins, and as far as I know, nobody on the planet knows what they look like inside. They're like magic little boxes of fun, which we've learnt not to question.
yeah i was considering using a lighter, since i really dont care about looks much. i suppose you're right, SVSTee, the ibanez has more full of a tone then the epi anyway, so i should just put it in the ibanez. it'll just look lame. lol. now there is no other way to combine active and passive besides using 2 vol and 2 tone, correct? and i know they can't be used with a 3-point switch and such., at least not in the middle mode.
Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
yeah i was considering using a lighter, since i really dont care about looks much. i suppose you're right, SVSTee, the ibanez has more full of a tone then the epi anyway, so i should just put it in the ibanez. it'll just look lame. lol. now there is no other way to combine active and passive besides using 2 vol and 2 tone, correct? and i know they can't be used with a 3-point switch and such., at least not in the middle mode.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

You have two options really:

1. Independent controls for each, and an ON-ON to DPDT to toggle between the pickups, with no blending.

2. Install a 9v booster circuit between the passive's output and the controls, essentially giving you two active circuits to share controls and blend.
wow durf. i should have though of that. you dont happen to have a schem for the booster circuit do you? or can i just use any basic booster, like a stompbox DIY schem, im assuming.

or does anyone have a link to one of these? you dont even know how much it'd help.
Quote by Invader Jim
I heard that active pickups sound the same regardless of what wood they're in. O_o
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
^ That statement couldn't be more innaccurate if it was written by George Bush.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by rhcp_freak
I heard that active pickups sound the same regardless of what wood they're in. O_o

I smell sarcasm of the internets.
Yeah, I'm not so good at picking up on that ish
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by JagStang5246
If you take the cover off the GFS, it might become microphonic.

No, it won't.

The cover is the primary cause of microphonic feedback.
Quote by -MintSauce-
I smell sarcasm of the internets.

I dont think that was sarcasm, I've seen people saying that on the forums at least a few times.
Quote by Meatball200
I dont think that was sarcasm, I've seen people saying that on the forums at least a few times.

+1.

Meh, I wont ever use active pickups, so it doesn't matter to me.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
EMGs sound hugely different in basswood or alder, compared to mahogany. It's more a case of mahogany complementing them nicely, because it has the bottom end, but any lighter wood makes them sound too harsh.

You really need mahogany or korina to do them justice, but you could get by with them in an alder guitar. Basswood, however, makes them sound AWFUL. I had my set in my Ibanez for about a week, before ripping them back out.

Edit: Sorry, I typed that in a hurry before going to the gym.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Apr 4, 2008,
thanks to all of you! ESPECIALLY Mint Sauce your typing and knowledge is appriciated.

well i havent decided yet on what guitar to throw it in. its a ****ty ibanez also though

but the ibanez has always sounded better than plywood lol, even if its just agathis or something.

i guess it's worth picking up the EMG 81 tonight for 70 bucks. especially if the 18v mod is that great.

so thank you all for all of the help!
Quote by Invader Jim