Some friends and i are starting a band, and my friend who plays bass needs a new amp, but doesn't really know what he wants. I play guitar, and i don't really know anything about bass amps, so i wanted to go to all the UGers for advice.

So i need some opinions on good bass amps for punk/metal music.

And try to add the price or a link please.
O O

___
Also, how big of an amp does the guitarists have?
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
Quote by IndianRockStar
How much money you have? A gigging amp can goes from $400 and up. Brands to look at are Ampeg, Ashdown, Carvin, Nemesis by Eden, Fender, SWR, just to name a few.

Yeah, i've heard good things about Ampeg.

Quote by djflats
Also, how big of an amp does the guitarists have?

I'm the guitarist, and i'm getting a Marshall DSL50 sometime soon.
O O

___
His dad's super rich, so he's most likely not going to have any money problems.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
Yeah, i've heard good things about Ampeg.

Ampeg is really good, and really expensive.

If your looking for high-quality on a budget, Carvin or Ashdown is the way to go.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
For your genres it seems you want that dull thud that only Ampeg can provide.

Wow, you REALLY don't like Ampeg don't you?

Unless you are willing to spend around 600-800 at least, you will be hard pressed to find an Ampeg you will really like. The BA series does not count. I should know. I have one

As for his dad being super rich, that means that he still has a price range. I would assume he won't spend multiple thousands of dollars yet.

Oh right, one more thing. A STARcaster and a Spider? Dude, I'm so sorry.
Quote by IndianRockStar
A STARcaster and a Spider? Dude, I'm so sorry.

Uhm...unless you've never heard of it, it's a Starcaster Strat, they're kind of rare, but i love mine.
And about the spider...yeah, me too.
Just one of my n00b mistakes i made a couple of months back, i'm working on a different amp, though.
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
Uhm...unless you've never heard of it, it's a Starcaster Strat, they're kind of rare, but i love mine.
And about the spider...yeah, me too.
Just one of my n00b mistakes i made a couple of months back, i'm working on a different amp, though.

The semi-hollow one? If so, my mistake. I was thinking the less than POS Starcaster Fender has. Its a Strat, but completely ****ty.
Quote by IndianRockStar
The semi-hollow one? If so, my mistake. I was thinking the less than POS Starcaster Fender has. Its a Strat, but completely ****ty.

He says starcaster STRAT so i think he is talking about the completely ****ty one.... My friend has one and it is indeed the crappiest guitar I have ever seen.
But I cant really talk cuz i have a spider too. Bad mistake. But if i get a new amp it will be a bass amp so Im fine with a ****ty guitar amp for now.
Quote by IndianRockStar

Yes, and i accept your appology.
O O

___
I don't know how we got onto this topic...but the next guitar i get is going to be a Gibson Les Paul Studio! I've learned a lot from these forums indeed.
O O

___
Quote by IndianRockStar
How much money you have? A gigging amp can goes from $400 and up. Brands to look at are Ampeg, Ashdown, Carvin, Nemesis by Eden, Fender, SWR, just to name a few.

The moral of the story is this - don't get a Behringer. I'm also not a huge fan of Peavey bass amps. Peavey basses, yes. Peavey speakers/monitors, sure. Not so much the bass amps.

But IRS forgot to mention Gallien-Krueger, which is notable enough to be separated from "just to name a few".

If he needs a stack to reach the level of volume you're going for, I'll tell you this - GK head into Fender cabs is a good setup for just about anything. I used that setup for awhile, borrowed from my mentor, along with a Stinger. I fell in love. Sucked when he needed it back... For reference, I used:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-400RBIV-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=482589
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Bassman-410-4X10-Bass-Cabinet?sku=600587
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Bassman-115-1x15-Bass-Cabinet?sku=600588

Except they were older versions of the Bassman cabs. Loved that rig.

EDIT: Whoa dude. Indian, the acronym for your name is IRS. You did that on purpose.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Last edited by WhyLater at Apr 3, 2008,
A lot of stuff. I'm a rock kind of guy BUT at the time my band was playing more of a metal-flavored rock. Like the sound of Avenged Seven Fold. Without quite as much drive as A7X, but a lot of the same melodic properties.

And I wasn't a background bassist. The melody of the song was a triumvirate of guitar, vocals, and bass. That's the only way I do things. I like limelight too much. So, that rig had the thump and support necessary for that sound but PLENTY of character. And versatility, it actually would have been a great rig for funk too. The 10db pad makes slapping sound heavenly.

I'm just really big on GK amplification is the point.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Well, I went onto your profile. See you really like AFI. That kind of midsy tone that their bassist gets? I could get that tone BEAUTIFULLY out of the GK/Fender stack. So if you're planning on sounding anything like that, I'd give it a 10 in all honesty. It was probably actually better suited for that kind of music than what I used it for.

But dude, whatever you do, make sure you get other opinions and more importantly, go with him and TRY stuff out. Or at least order something that you can return if you don't like.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Quote by WhyLater
Well, I went onto your profile. See you really like AFI. That kind of midsy tone that their bassist gets? I could get that tone BEAUTIFULLY out of the GK/Fender stack. So if you're planning on sounding anything like that, I'd give it a 10 in all honesty. It was probably actually better suited for that kind of music than what I used it for.

But dude, whatever you do, make sure you get other opinions and more importantly, go with him and TRY stuff out. Or at least order something that you can return if you don't like.

Dang, ya got me!

You really love those GK/Fender stacks don't ya? I don't even really like bass that much, and you're making me so anxious to go play it. I want to try it out so bad now, thanx.

P.S. i can play probably about only 10 AFI songs on bass, but i played it through my Spider III, and that's probably not the best amp for a bass (just guessing).
Man, i want to go play one so bad now!
I'll go with him and try out stuff sometime in the near future.
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Apr 3, 2008,