Would 11 and/or 12 gauge strings be fine for both standard AND drop B tuning or would they be too loose for standard tuning?

I'm also wondering if the bridge should be screwed in flush with the body. I did so (accidentally heard the wood churn), and have been unable to restring with regular 10 gauge.
i think 11s would be a bit tight if you bend in standard tuning. idk if there is any string gauge that could do that and not seem floppy or too tight.
11's are good for standard

i have them
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I see... can someone answer my question about the bridge?
What guitar are you using?
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by deceit
yeah but we need the bridge type...

Specification and picture are there in the link, beyond that information I wouldn't know.
1 - the bridge should most definitely NOT be screwed down flush with the body.
2 - there's no gauge that's going to be happy in both standard and drop B, you'll either have the strings too loose when dropped or too tight in standard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Alright, thanks for your help. Looked strange to a beginner such as myself but I guess instinct led me down the wrong path this time.

About how far should it be spaced out from the body?
use 10's they work well for B and arent that tight for standard...but still alittle tight
Quote by G.9
Alright, thanks for your help. Looked strange to a beginner such as myself but I guess instinct led me down the wrong path this time.

About how far should it be spaced out from the body?

I'd really need to see a picture of your guitar as it's currently setup, one from the side showing the bridge and the edge of the fretboard would help a lot.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I'd really need to see a picture of your guitar as it's currently setup, one from the side showing the bridge and the edge of the fretboard would help a lot.

^ I loosened them a bit after screwing them in and realizing there was too much pressure.

How much of the fretboard would you like?
Well, the bridge height determines the action, the height of the strings above the fretboard. Typically you'd be looking at something around 3mm, but all you need to do is restring the guitar and check. If the strings are sitting flat on the fretboard then they're way too low, but you can also tell by the sound. If the action's too low the strings will buzz because they're hitting the fretboard as they vibrate so you need to raise the bridge until the buzzing goes away.

You adjust bridge height by turning the knurled wheels on the bridge posts, not by turning the screws. Turning the screws will move the bridge posts up and down, which is bad. They're already set in - using the wheels will move the bridge up and down along the bridge post.

The tail piece just needs to be low enough to give you adequate tension over the saddles.

Also, bear in mind that the looser the string (ie the lower the tuning) the wider it vibrates so the higher your action may need to be. A string that rings perfectly in standard tuning may start buzzing if you detune it significantly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Unfortunately, I screwed the bridge in, then out... so I'm not sure what height that should be from the body. I do realize the strings have to be 3mm from the fretboard...

...looking from the side, I can see that the strings are touching the lower pickups.

I'll post another pic:
well, the pickup can be lowered using the screws either side of it. How high are the strings off the fretboard currently, can you take a pic of that too?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
well, the pickup can be lowered using the screws either side of it. How high are the strings off the fretboard currently, can you take a pic of that too?

From what I see it's between a quarter to a third of a centimeter above. Picture isn't taken from a perfect perspective, but:

Yeah, that's going to buzz like a nest of hornets, you want that to be at least another couple of mm higher...you'll know whan it's about right because it'll stop buzzing when you play, it must be farting out something rotten on the fretted notes at the moment.

I'd definitely lower that bridge pickup a bit too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Alright... so even though I moved the bridge (screw), should I just leave it as is? Maybe turn the saddle upwards?

Are you talking about these high-lighted screws for the bridge pickup?
Yup, those adjust pickup height. For the bridge I'd just try to raise it with the thumbscrews first. If it won't go high enough using them then you've not really got any option other than to unscrew the bridge posts a little.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

How low should I screw down the pickups?

And how high should I roll up the saddle?
Last edited by G.9 at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by G.9
How low should I screw down the pickups?

And how high should I roll up the saddle?

You just want the bridge high enough that the strings can vibrate without buzzing or fretting out, and the pickups low enough for the strings to vibrate without hitting them, aropund 5mm between string and pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Can the pickups be lowered too low, or does it not matter how low it is as long as they are not hit by vibrations?
Anyone? I'm not sure if people realize the topic has slightly changed...
I have 12's in Standard right now but it's slightly hard to do a full step bend and I fear for my life when tuning the high E....Works pretty well in Drop B though....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I see. I guess standard strings should stick with standard tuning, and vice versa.