as in a building's electrical wiring/supply. what does it actually sound like in an amp? as in, how do i know if i need a noise gate/supressor/isp decimator-device or a Power Conditioner?
I think dirty power is kind of an unstable power source?
Not quite sure if you can hear it, but it may be bad for your amp. You'd need a power conditioner. But, i'm no electrician.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Lots of extra noise, popping, hum, picking up radio stations, your amp suddenly bursting into flame. That kind of thing. You can tell if you need a noise reducer or a power conditioner by unplugging your guitar from the amp. If it's still loud, you need a power conditioner.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by Roc8995
Lots of extra noise, popping, hum, picking up radio stations, your amp suddenly bursting into flame. That kind of thing. You can tell if you need a noise reducer or a power conditioner by unplugging your guitar from the amp. If it's still loud, you need a power conditioner.

i need a power conditioner. sometimes i get pops that kind of startle me a little bit, followed by an ice-cube tossed into a deep-fryer

do you have any recomendations of brands and models under $150?
For a basic one, I think they're pretty cheap.
Look on MF.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
There's a ton of power conditioners on MF.com

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=power+conditioner&st=

I always use a power conditioner with my gear. Power conditioners get rid of line noise 'Dirty power' creates interruptions/disrupts your signal leaving you with random signals cutting into yours, like radio stations, static, buzzing, hum, etc. Just about all power conditioners have some kind of internal filter that cleans up your signal, they also regulate voltage to minimize spikes.
You definitely don't need to spend $150- you just need something with RFI/EMI filtering and enough inputs for all your stuff. The more expensive ones generally just have extra stuff like meters, lights, and blinky things. The really expensive ones are of course a bit better, but there isn't really a performance gap between a $70 and a $150 unit. The Furman M8X, ART 4X4 stuff is pretty good.
^ +1

You don't have to go all-out and buy the most expensive power conditioner. Those Furman's work perfectly fine. Next time you go to GC look carefully, you'll notice they've got everything hooked up to a power conditioner (usually a Furman). It's not going to be out in the open, but it's there.
to hijack a bit, my garage makes my amps a lot noisier than they would indoors.

this furman be ideal eh?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Furman-M8-Power-Conditioner?sku=181115
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008