Page 1 of 4
do you in the guitar community think that there are less guitar solos in mainstream music nowadays?

please post your'e opinion and thoughts.
don't be sad... BE GLAD!

--GUITARS--

strat takeoff
ESP LTD F-50

--AMP(S)--

(forgot)

--PEDALS--

Behringer OD 100
digitech RP300
think if a band can't do them well, they shouldn't, so maybe a lot of bands don't because they can't well
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
I think the music has evolved out of that kind of thing, especially with the severe lack of talent we're seeing in most mainstream music nowadays.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I noticed that mainstream music doesnt have as many solos.. i think the main reason may be because non-musicians and "mainstream listeners" dont care for the "dying cat" sounds

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
yeah theres a lack of guitar solos, but more importantly theres a lack of creative instrumentation in general.
Alot of songs sound great without solos. Alot of The Cures early stuff didn't have solos (do they have solos in any song?) and they sounded great.
lazy guitarists
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
It's good, guitar solos over 30 seconds should be banned.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Well, some bands just don't do guitar solos, take Opeth for example. Their solos are amazing, I love them, but...they honestly could do without any solos (except for the first two albums, though).

Streetlight3989: Some people like long solos...like myself, I don't care though, 'tis opinion.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
i have a problem with most bands that seem to be getting record labels after about a month, i beleive that if you have a total of 4 differant chords in a song and the whole album sounds exactly the same then they shouldn't be becoming famous. it's just my opinion that a decent music piece should have a little slice of guitar work in it.
don't be sad... BE GLAD!

--GUITARS--

strat takeoff
ESP LTD F-50

--AMP(S)--

(forgot)

--PEDALS--

Behringer OD 100
digitech RP300
thats because main stream music is done with a computer. I doubt any of those guitarists can play more than a powerchord and the 8 major and minor chords. to a point, i guess its a good thing, because the solos probably wouldn't be good anyways, but lack of talent and musicality is the reason i never listen to the radio.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
I rarely ever write solos for my songs. They're too show-offy for me. I got to admit that they fit some songs perfectly, but bands like Thrice, Thursday, or Taking Back Sunday would suck with solos.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Music doesn't always need solos.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Everybody complains that songs don't have enough solos. Then we end up with Dragonforce.

People, there's got to be a healthy medium.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Yes, but thats because the mainstream is no longer focused on guitar stuff, and even when it is its "pop punk"...im sure you get the idea, but for killer solo's check out Arsis AWSOME melodeth
Quote by muse-ik
thats because main stream music is done with a computer. I doubt any of those guitarists can play more than a powerchord and the 8 major and minor chords. to a point, i guess its a good thing, because the solos probably wouldn't be good anyways, but lack of talent and musicality is the reason i never listen to the radio.

ehhh Not really. Even mainstream bands like My Chemical Romance have amazing guitarists (Ray Toro).
Quote by LPDave

Quote by Toastbot

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by shut_up_n00b
ehhh Not really. Even mainstream bands like My Chemical Romance have amazing guitarists (Ray Toro).

I hate to admit it, but Ray is actually a decent guitarist...he can do miles more than what MCR confine him to.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by StreetLight3989

Nice ty lol. DragonForce, Rush, and all that stuff just gets boring and repetitive. Solos are good, but vocals drive the music.
No havn't you heard the new simple plan solo its full like WAAAAEHSFHSDVV DIDDLE OO DIDDLE OO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DGDGDFDFODIGOUVSDGHDDV DISI IDI II KDKDK KDKDKDKDKDKDKDKDK WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA its so intense

has no signature.
Quote by 11223344554433
No havn't you heard the new simple plan solo its full like WAAAAEHSFHSDVV DIDDLE OO DIDDLE OO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DGDGDFDFODIGOUVSDGHDDV DISI IDI II KDKDK KDKDKDKDKDKDKDKDK WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA its so intense

cool
don't be sad... BE GLAD!

--GUITARS--

strat takeoff
ESP LTD F-50

--AMP(S)--

(forgot)

--PEDALS--

Behringer OD 100
digitech RP300
Quote by KingJustinian25
Nice ty lol. DragonForce, Rush, and all that stuff just gets boring and repetitive. Solos are good, but vocals drive the music.

Funny, since music was never written for vocals...

But, that's more of in pop, punk, and or radio rock, stuff....not that I'm condemning you or anything, it's just that vocals don't "drive" many music styles.

Quote by eggsandham2
People generally prefer rhythm and "style". A lot of people in style these days aren't talented enough to play amazing solos or revolutionise the guitar.
That's the MTV generation for you.
I think guitarists think that they should always be the center of attention.
Everyone becomes a genius when they join UG
linkin park has no solos becuz they have no guitarist2 or bassist.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
part of Trumpet Player's Alliance
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I hate to admit it, but Ray is actually a decent guitarist...he can do miles more than what MCR confine him to.

True, it's just the style of the band. I like them for their simple catchy riffs and cool solos. I doubt I'd like them if they turned into a song full of unnecessary solos.

Quote by MetalMusicianAl
i hate it how ppl say oh songs don't need solos. they probably say that because they can't solo.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but soloing isn't that hard. I agree most metal needs some fast flashy solos, but other music (not necessarily mainstream, I mean like punk and grunge, and surf or whatever) doesn't need any of that to be great.
Quote by LPDave

Quote by Toastbot

Quote by The Leader
Quote by StreetLight3989

yes, I'd give a solo a minute tops before it becomes boring. there's exceptions, but if you can't get your point across in less than a minute, you're either showing off or trying too hard.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
In some cases it's good, in some it's bad. Foo Fighters, my favorite band, don't have hardly any REAL guitar solos. There's a few that you could call a solo ("Stacked Actors", "Long Road To Ruin", "Oh, George") and a few that have what I would call 'guitar breaks' ("Low", "Best Of You", "Lonely As You"), and ALL of those with 'guitar breaks' are simply catchy octaves played over the rhythm. Usually trilled... But the Foos' songs are so great (IMO) that they just don't need the solos. They are perfectly fine without them. And that doesn't mean they are bad guitarists; they screw around and have guitar battles at concerts, and both Dave Grohl and Chris Shiflett are much better than one would think (Dave especially, since you never hear him to ANY leadwork). But... Some music is fine without it.
Quote by shut_up_n00b

Sorry to burst your bubble, but soloing isn't that hard. I agree most metal needs some fast flashy solos, but other music (not necessarily mainstream, I mean like punk and grunge, and surf or whatever) doesn't need any of that to be great.

i'm not saying that ALL of the mainstrem bands should have 30 seccond+ solos in ALL of their songs, i'm just saying that their is a complete lack of solos in mainstream music fullstop.
don't be sad... BE GLAD!

--GUITARS--

strat takeoff
ESP LTD F-50

--AMP(S)--

(forgot)

--PEDALS--

Behringer OD 100
digitech RP300
Quote by shut_up_n00b

True, it's just the style of the band. I like them for their simple catchy riffs and cool solos. I doubt I'd like them if they turned into a song full of unnecessary solos.

I don't even like MCR, and I always found that Toro deserved to be in a more musically accomplished band.

Quote by eggsandham2
Music does not/should not revolve around guitar solos.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by eyehartgeetare
i'm not saying that ALL of the mainstrem bands should have 30 seccond+ solos in ALL of their songs, i'm just saying that their is a complete lack of solos in mainstream music fullstop.

Oh, well many mainstream bands have short solos. I mean pop-rock pop-punk bands like Boys Like Girls, My Chemical Romance, and even Simple Plan at some point. They're not fast long solos but neither were Dave Gilmour's.
Quote by LPDave

Quote by Toastbot

Quote by The Leader
Quote by Slaytanic1993
I don't even like MCR, and I always found that Toro deserved to be in a more musically accomplished band.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see him in a side-project or something like that.
Sorry for double post if I made one.
Quote by LPDave

Quote by Toastbot

Quote by The Leader
Page 1 of 4