Ok, this might seem like kinda a weird question, but what should you know after you've been playing for a year? Like what chords, scales, techniques should you know? I know some major, minor, and seventh chords, and I'm pretty good at switching them if I may say so . I know the caged system for major scales, but I haven't memorized the roots, so I have to work on that. I don't really know any other types of scales. I can read sheet music, rhythm slashes, and tabs. I don't know any arpeggios, but I understand kinda what to do with them. I know like 2 solos, but I can't play them up to speed. I'm working on it. I recently started to eat up tab books, like I just can learn the songs pretty fast. I know how to do all sorts of different harmonics, and I've been teaching myself tapping and pull-off, hammer-on Trace Bundy type guitar.(I guess it's called fingerstyle ). I would eventually like to write my own music, but I can't really figure out where to start. I play acoustic and electric. On school days, I typically will play an hour on acoustic and an hour on electric. On weekend days, I play at least 5 hours and try to split it evenly between acoustic and electric. I would have time to practice more, but I practice violin too, and I do taekwondo nearly every day, plus school. So anyway, how am I doing?
EDIT: wowzers this is long, sorry about the wall of text
work on speeding up the solos and scales to get faster
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by georgewinser
depends how hard you've been studying practising

lol did you not read all the way through?
I guess what I meant to ask is am I learning abnormally slow? I've been playing almost a year, but I only started to get really serious around september/october of this year. So all the stuff I've mentioned is stuff I've learned to do since september or october
Last edited by tkdfighter at Apr 4, 2008,
The standard answer around here is don't worry about how your progression compairs to others. Everyone's different, in different situations and have different goals for playing the guitar.

That said, I would say you should be happy with the progress you made. Your own goals for playing should direct the path you should take for future practice.
Quote by rhettro
The standard answer around here is don't worry about how your progression compairs to others. Everyone's different, in different situations and have different goals for playing the guitar.

That said, I would say you should be happy with the progress you made. Your own goals for playing should direct the path you should take for future practice.

well said
to tell you the truth, you put me to shame. ive been playing for almost hmmmmm 8 months i guess an i barely know a song an like 3 chords..............
We, the willing, led by the unknowing are doing the impossible for the ungreatful. We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything.