Pretty simple to understand what I mean, right? Like I'm trying to use a loose up and down strumming technique but how do I avoid hitting the low E string when its not part of the chord?
When I first picked up the guitar and tried to play a C chord, I was like "How the hell am I supposed to not hit that string?!"

The answer?

Practice. Honestly! It'll come to you very soon.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
you mute it with another finger just nudging it a little bit
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
I have had no problems. Mostly because I am Jesus.
Hook your thumb over and mute, use a fingertip to mute.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
I usually put my thumb on the E string if I don't need it to make noise.
Quote by Dan Steinman
You know you are a guitar player when the kids in the elementary school band can read sheet music better than you
Cut it with wire cutters.

Much easier than muting it.
Real eyes realise real lies.
i know what you mean, I have trouble with this sometimes cuz it messes up the whole chord. You have make sure you get your pick on top of the A string before you strum. What I do sometimes is I dampen the E string with my thumb.

But thats probable not to good to do....
just practice strumming just the correct trings w/ time it will become second nature and you wont have to think about it so just practice
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Quote by Zeh
Cut it with wire cutters.

Much easier than muting it.

He's got a point.

But no. you'll get it eventually, its a certain way to strum, you just miss that string basically.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by SLD.Potato
When I first picked up the guitar and tried to play a C chord, I was like "How the hell am I supposed to not hit that string?!"

The answer?

Practice. Honestly! It'll come to you very soon.
In the case of C major(C, E G), you could technically still hit the low E string. It'd either be called C major or C major/E, but if you ask me, that's a pointless distinction.