im thinking about buying an sg. i was talking to this chick yesterday and she brought up guitar and that she has an sg and is looking to sell it. she wants $899 for it. i know gibsons are good guitars, but for a used sg, is it worth it? she claims she just doesnt play it anymore and that its in new condition. i know her and i dont think she would try to sell me a ****ed up guitar. i asked her to take some pics of it and bring them to school but she hasnt showed up for the past 2 days. all i know is that she bought it 4 years ago, said she would give me the case (don't know if its a gig bag or hard case), she will throw in her amp (whch is probably ****ty), and i dont know if it is the standard edition or not. i'll try to go to her house tomorow and play it.

i think if 899 is too high i could at least work it down to 850 maybe 825. is it a good deal?
I think its a good deal for a Standard. But you can get a Faded for a few hundred less, i think about $600 now? and it has the same pickups and pickguard, but no clear coat over the finish.
Quote by shameonthenight
you gotta check out the guitar first dude

i know dude. i know i didnt give a lot of info but i dont want to pay more than i have to. playing it tomorow will hep out my decision

Quote by qotsa1998
I think its a good deal for a Standard. But you can get a Faded for a few hundred less, i think about $600 now? and it has the same pickups and pickguard, but no clear coat over the finish.

yea ill have pics up tomorow and more information about it. im just trying to get an idea if thats a fair price. i think if i pay 850, get the guitar, a hard case, and an amo, thats fair; but i don't even know if thats a good deal. thats why i came here lol.
i just finally got around to getting some pics up and playing it. ****ty camera phone pics. i think its a 2003 Gibson SG Supreme or something like that.

Thats not a supreme, maybe a special.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
I wouldn't for $900

Edit; you can get standards on eBay for cheaper then that.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by Tubyboulin
Thats a Special, if she told you it was a Supreme then dont give your buisness to her, shes ripping you off. You can get a new one for cheaper.

oh no she didnt tell me that, i looked up some pictures trying to figure out what it was and saw one with the caption supreme. my bad on that.

but it plays nice and doesnt have any scrathes or anything on it. just a little dusty. she is throwing in a hard case with it and i can probably get her to throw in her ****ty little amp. i think that for 850, its a pretty good deal. what do you guys say?
I'd just get a standard for $850 but thats me.

$900 is not a terrible price for a standard, but that's a special, and should go for about $600 for an early 2000's model.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
$900 is not a terrible price for a standard, but that's a special, and should go for about $600 for an early 2000's model.

its a 2003
thoes pictures have made me contemplate whether i like natural or cherry now.

ugghhh....

How about fidning out exaclty what kind if guitar it is, and then look it up on Google?

The intenet is awesome, and the only destination is not the UG forums, btw.

Musicians Friend, ZZsounds, there are a ton of discount websites that sell musical gear.

Also, Craigslist kicks ass too. Seems to me that you have zero intention of buying the guitar.....amirite?
Quote by mickjones76
ugghhh....

How about fidning out exaclty what kind if guitar it is, and then look it up on Google?

The intenet is awesome, and the only destination is not the UG forums, btw.

Musicians Friend, ZZsounds, there are a ton of discount websites that sell musical gear.

Also, Craigslist kicks ass too. Seems to me that you have zero intention of buying the guitar.....amirite?

I would hope so, after what we've told him he'd be getting ripped off.

Yeah, like smokeyamp said Just Buy a used Standard on Ebay, save up a bit more for a new Standard, or for even less money then what youll pay her, buy a new Special.

EDIT: Midnight Murk i meen, i just looked at the Avatar and i thought it was Smokey Amps
Last edited by Tubyboulin at May 21, 2008,
Quote by mostconquering1
its a 2003

in this case, that counts as early 2000's they go up a bit in value after 2004 because they fixed some quality issues that they'd been having since the mid 90s.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
900 is a rip for a sg special, i got my sg standard in cherry red for 790 on ebay plus 30 bucks overnight shipping. came with ohsc
if you are willing to pay 850 for that, then you mihgt as well look on ebay or craigslist and find a standard for that price..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
im gonna have to negotiate the price down to like 600 but i doubt she will go for that. she had this idea in her head that she could get 1000 but i said no way and thats when she finally ropped the price.

the only thing i worry about on ebay is that i dont get a chance to play it before i buy it. i know they have the feedback you can check and pictures of the guitar but that gives only so much informaton. i always like to try it before making a large purchase like that. but i did look up some guitars anyway and saw some nice ones for a good price.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
^^About $900. Depends on the condition.

where im buying it from wants 799 for it. theres a small chip out of the top (can only see it when your playing it) and they had to repair the headstock before because it was destroyed or something. plays awesome though. i think im gonna go with it unless i can find something else i like
made my decision

didnt mean to bring back a dead thread but at the same time this isnt worthy of a new one
Quote by mostconquering1
im thinking about buying an sg. i was talking to this chick yesterday and she brought up guitar and that she has an sg and is looking to sell it. she wants $899 for it. i know gibsons are good guitars, but for a used sg, is it worth it? she claims she just doesnt play it anymore and that its in new condition. i know her and i dont think she would try to sell me a ****ed up guitar. i asked her to take some pics of it and bring them to school but she hasnt showed up for the past 2 days. all i know is that she bought it 4 years ago, said she would give me the case (don't know if its a gig bag or hard case), she will throw in her amp (whch is probably ****ty), and i dont know if it is the standard edition or not. i'll try to go to her house tomorow and play it.

i think if 899 is too high i could at least work it down to 850 maybe 825. is it a good deal?

She doesn't really go to your school.