Hey The Pit,

So i just got my braces off a couple days ago (Yay!) and now i have to wear a retainer. Well my question is for people who have one...did you wear it all the time in the beginning, or just at night...and if you wore it just at night, are your teeth still okay?

And i didnt know i'd have to wear it for the rest of my life...
Last edited by The Spoon at Apr 3, 2008,
I wore it at night for about the first two days... then never wore it again.

I just went back for my "Okay, you've had 'em off for a year, let's see how ****ed up your teeth are!" appointment and they said that I was pretty much golden.

Did they give you a bottom one, or did you have a permanent one put in?
its less risky if you do, but ive honestly never heard a case where someones teeth got messed up again terribly from not wearing it.
They gave me a top and botttom one. I can take them off anytime i want, but they were just liek, "Congrats on getting off your braces, now you have to wear this for the rest of your life and we'll see you in 4 months, k?"

my teeth started moving a week after i got them off...my question is if its safe to wear them just at night in the beginning/
I lost mine and now they are all spaced out and I'm very depressed.

I got another one so they wont change anymore but yeah wear it at night and you should be fine.
When I got mine they wanted me to wear it full time for a few days but I never did and I hardly wear it now and my teeth are still just as straight.
I only have to wear my retainer at night. I never had to wear it during the day after I got my braces off and I"m pretty sure my teeth have not moved. I go next week for my final checkup EVER! ( ) and they'll tell me how they are. I think they have stayed where they are though. Oh, and they say that you wear your retainer every night for the rest of your life, but the next time you go back after six months and you are a teenager (15ish, 16ish), they say that you only need to wear the retainer until about the time that you get married.
Quote by skaguitarist53
its less risky if you do, but ive honestly never heard a case where someones teeth got messed up again terribly from not wearing it.

Aye. My mom has braces for the 2nd time because she never wears hers, but she's 40something. At that point in your life, I think you can deal with a teeny bit of crookedness.
ive never really totally got what a retainer does. ive never used any kind of mouth gear like that and neither has anyone in my family. in elementary i was told it was so kids would stop sucking their thumb but that doesnt sound right now.
Yea that's right, I want something to explode

I've been deaf, now I want noise

LOUD LOVE
I wear mine as much as i can remember, or if I want to talk normally I would take it out. Hate that little lisp it gives ya, even though i can do a really badass impression of the old guy from Family Guy with it.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
So judging from this thread, its safe if i just wear it at night?

Cuz another thing i hate is when saliva sticks to it...i took it out in front of my friends today because i didnt know and got kind of embarrased haha
Quote by The Spoon
So judging from this thread, its safe if i just wear it at night?

Cuz another thing i hate is when saliva sticks to it...i took it out in front of my friends today because i didnt know and got kind of embarrased haha

Oh yeah. I think you should be fine.

If you begin to feel pressure on your teeth though, just pop it back in.
Quote by JC13
Yeah, my orthodontist directly told me to wear it only at night. For some people they have to wear theirs as much as possible, it really depends on how much work had to be done, as far as I know.

Well i had my braces in for 1 year and 7-8 months i think.

but before that i had an expander thing that brought my teeth together and made the roof of my mouth wider...i had to wear a metal retainer for that. I wore it all the time...and then wore it at night...occasionally.
I only wore mine at night for like the first 6 months after getting them off. They're still nice and straight.
You'll pretty soon get bored of it and throw it away. I had one when I was thirteen or something.
Quote by smb
You'll pretty soon get bored of it and throw it away. I had one when I was thirteen or something.

Oh no, im having great fun with mine
i wore mine all day for like a week or two then just at night. if you skip a while youll notice when you put it in again it hurts really bad. so my advice is to wear it at night or at LEAST every other night
I'm a chick. Get used to it!
Quote by illsupriseyou17
i wore mine all day for like a week or two then just at night. if you skip a while youll notice when you put it in again it hurts really bad. so my advice is to wear it at night or at LEAST every other night

Well yeah, i was planning on wearing it at night only