There was a thread a couple of months ago with a link to download a free version of vista...anyone knows the link to the thread or to download vista?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
wasnt that part of a thing where you had to let them see what websites and stuff you went to for a whole month, and in exchange you get vista free? eh, google it.
This is my signature... And yes this is the most original thing... ever.
Gear:
Guitars
Epiphone Dot
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG2EX1

Amps
Roland Cube 30X

Pedals
DOD FX25-B Envelope Filter
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Big Muff Pi
Quote by MyImmortal
I wouldn't do it... Vista is still quite buggy

I've had Vista for over a year for a variety of applications and I've never had a single problem with it. No hardware troubleshooting, no crashing, nothing. Just a couple of tweaks and customizations. It's actually the smoothest I've ever used. If you know what you're doing and your computer has up-to-date specs, Vista should be fine.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^my friend who's good with computers says that too. His crashed one but then he tweaked it and it works fine. Without the tweaking it's still bad I guess
Quote by MyImmortal
^my friend who's good with computers says that too. His crashed one but then he tweaked it and it works fine. Without the tweaking it's still bad I guess

The only real tweaking I did was get TweakUAC, which turns off the UAC popup but lets it run in the background. I didn't have to tweak anything else.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Don't listen to cyclobs, KDE sucks, Gnome is the way to go.

And why the hell would you apt-get (install) the latest KDE? Why don't you just download Kubuntu...

Edit: to Xiaoxi - why would you download a program to disable UAC, just go to control panel and disable it... you just type in UAC in the search bar and uncheck the box and then reboot... ???
Quote by acersucks
Don't listen to cyclobs, KDE sucks, Gnome is the way to go.

And why the hell would you apt-get the latest KDE? Why don't you just download Kubuntu...

oh yeah kubuntu,

but he wanted vista. and have you seen the new version. it's better then vista. never used it but
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by Xiaoxi
I've had Vista for over a year for a variety of applications and I've never had a single problem with it. No hardware troubleshooting, no crashing, nothing. Just a couple of tweaks and customizations. It's actually the smoothest I've ever used. If you know what you're doing and your computer has up-to-date specs, Vista should be fine.

+1.

I can't comment on the smoothness due to my poor setup (2gHz, 512mb RAM) but it still works fine enough for me, and I've been really happy with it without any problems.
Linux will always be better than Windows will ever be. The only thing I would ever use Windows for, as of now, is to play any games. I don't understand why people take this **** from Microsoft and their half-assed product, if you can even call it that.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']+1.

I can't comment on the smoothness due to my poor setup (2gHz, 512mb RAM) but it still works fine enough for me, and I've been really happy with it without any problems.
Wow, I'm surprised Vista is even running for you.

Get a Core 2 Duo 2GHz or faster and at least 2GB of RAM.

Quote by acersucks
Linux will always be better than Windows will ever be. The only thing I would ever use Windows for, as of now, is to play any games. I don't understand why people take this **** from Microsoft and their half-assed product, if you can even call it that.

Linux may be better on technical terms, but I wouldn't recommend any average computer user to get it. It has the least hardware support, so for applications such as music recording and other artistic productions, Linux is a bad idea.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by acersucks
Edit: to Xiaoxi - why would you download a program to disable UAC, just go to control panel and disable it... you just type in UAC in the search bar and uncheck the box and then reboot... ???

Did you actually read his post? He said that he DIDN'T turn it off, he just disabled the pop-ups and let it run in the background. You need the program for that.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Xiaoxi

I even managed to play Company of Heroes on minimum settings
This is just an old laptop, so upgrading would be a bitch.
Quote by acersucks

with the way wine is going you'd be able to play any windows games on linux
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by acersucks

TweakUAC doesn't disable UAC. It turns off the popup warnings but lets UAC keep its security functions. So basically, you're safe without being nagged.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

Linux may be better on technical terms, but I wouldn't recommend any average computer user to get it. It has the least hardware support, so for applications such as music recording and other artistic productions, Linux is a bad idea.

you seriouly have never used linux.

have you seen ubuntu studio?

go have a look
Quote by musical donkey
Quote by cyclobs
you seriouly have never used linux.

have you seen ubuntu studio?

go have a look

Yes I have, and failed miserably at it (tons of incompatibility problems). I'm not even against Linux, but it really isn't user-friendly. Sure, it's got the basic functions that most people can just point and click to figure out, but it's undeniably more complicated. I am going to set up a multi-boot system involving all 3 major OS platforms and I'll tinker with Linux more in a while.

With that said, no I haven't seen Ubuntu Studios.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I can't even imagine why you would want UAC running, even in the background, but hey, it's your computer (that's kind of why they have DEP).

Ubuntu Studio is also the way to go if you're into recording and looking for a good Linux distro. It's got a lot of good programs that you would otherwise have to pay hundreds for if you were to use Windows.

And I still don't understand why people think that Linux is so complicated saying that the average user can't handle it. When I first installed it, I had no idea what sudo meant but I learned overtime - just like I did with Windows. Almost every Linux distro comes with Firefox (or Konqorer) for web browsing, Pidgeon, amsn, and lot's of other IM programs and that's basically all an "average user" does right?

Edit: to Xiaoxi, what distro did you use? I would suggest downloading the latest Ubuntu Live CD (or wait 21 days for 8.04) and see if it supports your hardware. Hell, you can even give them your address and they'll ship you a few CD's and stickers for FREE in about 6-8 weeks.
Last edited by acersucks at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by acersucks

And I still don't understand why people think that Linux is so complicated saying that the average user can't handle it. When I first installed it, I had no idea what sudo meant but I learned overtime - just like I did with Windows. Almost every Linux distro comes with Firefox (or Konqorer) for web browsing, Pidgeon, amsn, and lot's of other IM programs and that's basically all an "average user" does right?

Well, Windows and Macs require almost no text command input, so no, there's nothing like "sudo" in these two OS's.

The applications on Linux are enough for the average user, but if there were any technical issues, the average user would be screwed. On Windows and Macs, there are pre-designed programs (System Restore, Time Machine, etc) to help get back on track. I didn't really see that on Linux (I tried Fedora, the only one that installed correctly on my old Vaio).

Quote by acersucks

Edit: to Xiaoxi, what distro did you use? I would suggest downloading the latest Ubuntu Live CD (or wait 21 days for 8.04) and see if it supports your hardware. Hell, you can even give them your address and they'll ship you a few CD's and stickers for FREE in about 6-8 weeks.

I only tried installing Linux on my old, expendable Sony Vaio. Only Fedora worked. I tried Ubuntu and it didn't install due to graphic card incompatibility and I couldn't even begin to try to solve that issue. But I'm sure Ubuntu will work with my current, custom built PC, and I plan on getting one of these distros to be set up on my multi-boot.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 3, 2008,
I would never recommend Fedora for a first time user, and I agree there are a lot of incompatability issues with it but just try Ubuntu and mess around with for a while. I don't think I'll be able to convince you how good Linux is until you figure it you for yourself.

Also Mac's have almost the exact same commands as Linux do in a little thing called Terminal seeing as they are both UNIX based... I guess you just cant realize how powerful that "text command input" thing is until you've experienced it.

Edit: (sorry for all the edits, i just don't want to double post) If you have any old computers, I recommend Xubuntu, it's an Xfce desktop environment based Ubuntu distribution that's made to be less process intensive and more compatible with older computers.
Last edited by acersucks at Apr 3, 2008,
Quote by acersucks
I would never recommend Fedora for a first time user, and I agree there are a lot of incompatability issues with it but just try Ubuntu and mess around with for a while. I don't think I'll be able to convince you how good Linux is until you figure it you for yourself.
You don't need to convince me. I don't hold Linux in a negative light, I just think it has a bigger learning curve.

Also Mac's have almost the exact same commands as Linux do in a little thing called Terminal seeing as they are both UNIX based... I guess you just cant realize how powerful that "text command input" thing is until you've experienced it.
I know they're both UNIX based, but most of Mac's functions are already in the form of graphic commands, so you rarely need to go into the terminal. I also know that using the terminal is the most powerful command there is and you can do virtually anything with it, but again, that requires a learning curve. You are under the impression that I have no idea what Linux is about, but trust me, I do. I just didn't have the time to learn it properly.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Vista is somewhat buggy for me, and to be honest all the **** that they have on it I don't need. I'd be much happier with XP, and XP would let my system be more for games again.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
So...does anyone know the link to download vista?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
So...does anyone know the link to download vista?
linking to illegal downloads will get anyone banned. dont bump your own threads.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Zugunruhe
linking to illegal downloads will get anyone banned. dont bump your own threads.

the download was actually legal...from what i remember, they were trying a new version of vista and were letting people download it for free
-Homer Simpson