im now in the search for the perfect cab for my VHT 100/cl but i was wondering what is the difference between a front loaded cab and a rear loaded cab. it seems like a rear loaded cab sounds better (ala, punchier).

so what are the cons and pros of each?

for those that dont know, front loaded means the speakers are removed and put on thru the front, meaning the grille is removable. rear means there are screws in the back and thats how u get to the speakers. the front is sealed and i believe it acts as an extension of the speaker cones and sounds fuller or something of that sort....which is what im trying to find out.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
bump

really no one knows??
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
No effect on tone, but I can tell you from experience front loaded cabs are a total PAIN IN THE ASS to work on, especially on the top speakers.
well yeah but ppl have it seem that way. i mean what would be bad about either scenario?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by CJRocker
No effect on tone, but I can tell you from experience front loaded cabs are a total PAIN IN THE ASS to work on, especially on the top speakers.

o jeez lol. supposedly opening em up and tinkering with them (customizing speakers, arrangement etc) really comprises the intent of the cab and ruins it. ive only read it and wouldnt really know but if i do ever feel like tinkering i dont want it to be a pain lol. i guess rear loaded FTW?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
rear loaded with a spacer between the baffle board and the speaker will sound excellent. fender used to do it. so you have your baffle board, a mounting ring, then the speaker, as opposed to just the spekear mounted on the board. it effects the vibration of the baffleboard and such. can be a pain in the ass to do without a circle cutter or something.
fight the power that be
Quote by giternator
o jeez lol. supposedly opening em up and tinkering with them (customizing speakers, arrangement etc) really comprises the intent of the cab and ruins it. ive only read it and wouldnt really know but if i do ever feel like tinkering i dont want it to be a pain lol. i guess rear loaded FTW?

The intent? What do you mean? If you mean the integrity no, but you have no light, and you have to move the heavy speakers, and generally you don't have as much room to work.
Quote by CJRocker
The intent? What do you mean? If you mean the integrity no, but you have no light, and you have to move the heavy speakers, and generally you don't have as much room to work.

not sure what your asking but i was just saying that i read that if u tamper with the speakers, or swap em out or something, it ruins what the cab was meant for. but it could be like saying dont change the type of tubes an amp uses and ppl still do it with great results. im just saying that thats what i read. i dont really intend on swapping out any speakers tho. but like say they need to be renewed or something, or something is messed up and its a quick fix i can do, i might enter. but i really doubt ill have to.

my main deal is if there is a difference in sound and it seems like their really isnt and its just a matter of how u want to be able to reach ur speakers. correct me if im wrong.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Rear loaded speakers have what is called the tunnel sound, as it is back in the cab and only projects straight forward, so you wouldn't hear much standing off to the side of the cab, where front loaded projects much better. That's the only real difference.
Quote by DeadMansCurve
Rear loaded speakers have what is called the tunnel sound, as it is back in the cab and only projects straight forward, so you wouldn't hear much standing off to the side of the cab, where front loaded projects much better. That's the only real difference.

I find it hard to believe that 15mm can cause such a difference.
I think rear loaded would be best. If the cab is closed and goodly sealed, the sound has to push through the front more.

But i really don't think there is a audible tone difference.
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?