I'm looking to upgrade my gear. Right now I have an Ibanez RG370DX that I'm playing through a Fender stage 100 DSP and I use a Boss ME-50 for effects. It sounds okay but can be a little muddy at times and I'd like more sustain, not sure if it's my amp, pickups, or both. So I'm thinking about either upgrading pickups or getting a tube combo amp..........which would help improve my tone more? And what would be a good tube amp for around $600-700? I play mostly hard rock and alternative with a little bit of metal and classic rock, the two bands that probably influence my playing the most right now are Tool and Muse.
I think it is a combination of bad amp and you trying to cover it up with a multi fx pedal. I say ditch it all and get something like a Traynor YCV50 Blue. It will cover everything you need with an extra OD pedal. For that I would suggest someting like a Fulltone OCD. Or you could maybe find a used JCM800 combo which is basically the cliche hard rock amp.
Amp. A Peavey ValveKing 212 would suit you well, and it sounds just awesome.
hmm, well you've asked a thorough and intelligent question. This is always a tough one to answer, because a good tone is in the ear of the beholder, the beholder being you. I'd suggest taking you guitar to a shoppe and playing some amps with it and see how you like it. If it's muddy though, a free and easy adjustment could be made to the pickups. Just use a screwdriver and raise them slightly, play through your amp a bit, do some different stuff to give you the best idea of the overall adjustment. Raising the pickups will give you more treble, and a hotter overall sound, but too much can be tinny and annoying too. Just remember to use small adjustment and keep track of what you're doing so you know where to go from where ever you're currently at.

Tube Amps can be expensive, but they have a wider harmonic range than solid state (transistor) amps. I hear the Peavey ValveKing 100 is good for harder rock, metal and stuff of the sort, but it's 529 (give or take) for the Amp Head, just don't skimp too much on a cab, or else you might just end up where you are, just with less money. You could always buy a cheap cab and stuff it with speakers, you could save a lil money that way. shop around.

hope this helped.
Enter something refreshingly witty here:
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think it is a combination of bad amp and you trying to cover it up with a multi fx pedal. I say ditch it all and get something like a Traynor YCV50 Blue. It will cover everything you need with an extra OD pedal. For that I would suggest someting like a Fulltone OCD. Or you could maybe find a used JCM800 combo which is basically the cliche hard rock amp.

i like the way you think...
Enter something refreshingly witty here:
Both
Sell your amp
Save some money
Keep your ME-50
And look around craiglist for a good offer for a tube amp i say a Blues junior would be good for what your looking for and with the extra money youll have enough for pickups, the OD is bad but the ME-50 will solve that,
Hey Highwaytohell - I found a Traynor dealer tonight but they are about 40 miles away. i'll call first but i would love to find/play thru a YCV20 or 40. Do you know the rough costs on these? Also, it looks like i might be able to plug headphones in, is that true?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey Highwaytohell - I found a Traynor dealer tonight but they are about 40 miles away. i'll call first but i would love to find/play thru a YCV20 or 40. Do you know the rough costs on these? Also, it looks like i might be able to plug headphones in, is that true?

About $600

No, you can't use headphones - most "proper" amps don't have a headphone output.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com