I have been thinking of putting some new pickups in my Jackson RR1. I want a heavier sound than the TB-4 and SH-2 give me, any suggestions? I would prefer SDs, seeing as how they have awesome quality. I was thinking maybe trying out active pickups, but I have heard that active pickups don't carry the sound of the guitars wood as well as passive, is this true?
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Jcm-900 Lead 1960 cab
Jackson USA RR1 w/SD blackouts
Jackson Dominion w/SD Distortion
Jackson SLS3 w/SD blackouts
Maxon OD808
EH Small Clone chorus
Ampeg B2R
Ampeg Cabs, 4x10, 1x15
Rickenbacker Bass Guitar
Ibanez CP-9
It's true that actives make pretty much all guitars sound the same, but who knows, they might be worth a look if you strictly play metal and/ or heavy rock.

I'd look into Dimarzio's for higher- output stuff, as well. The Breed, Evo, and Super Distortion are just a few pretty nice ones, though it's all up to preference.
If you like the sound of actives, Dimarzio D Activator pickups might be something to consider. They are passive pickups that behave similarly to actives (such as EMG)... but you don't have to deal with the battery and they also have nicer cleans IMO. I really like how they sound but that's all subjective, you very well might not, but here's a demo of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY6OgKIdTo
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
It's true that actives make pretty much all guitars sound the same, but who knows, they might be worth a look if you strictly play metal and/ or heavy rock.

Not true. EMGs will make different guitars sound more similar than passive pickups will, but they will still sound different. And the new Blackouts Seymour Duncan released really let the wood's tone shine through. I'd give the Blackouts a try. They're great for metal.
Quote by Vermintide
In Soviet Russia, bar searches YOU!!!

Just remember that heavier doesn't necessarily mean louder.

If you want a thicker, more muscular tone then the Dimarzio Breed is probably your best bet.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com