Im looking to buy a marshall, and i play mostly blues and funk type stuff, and i was told that a marshall could deliver. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on some marshalls to check out while im looking. I dont really know too much about amps (I've had a fender frontman 25r for about a year, and before that was a microcube) so im lookin to learn a bit before making any big descisions. im willing to spend a bit if its gona be worth it
Last edited by Jono3425 at Apr 3, 2008,
What kind of guitar do you have? Do you want a marshall just for the brand name?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
What kind of blues? If it's crunchy dirty blues, then maybe something with a british vintage voice, like a Marshall. If it's a slightly cleaner tone, then I'd definitely steer you towards Fender valve amps. Some amazing stuff, I'd suggest you try a bunch out to see what suits you.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I shall suggest the traynor YCV50. I am getting one next week or so. It's perfect for bluesrock. And you can get a really nice classic rock tone out of it as well.
Hendrix played a Marshall. I'd recommend pretty much any Marshall except an MG - horrible amps. I have the bad fortune to own one myself - the tone is utter ****. Other than MGs, Marshalls are great for powerful crunches and searing high notes.
If your going with marshall go for the vintage stuff the newer stuff, in my opinion, isnt anything special. However their older amps will make you cream, im sure you guys will agree.
Marshall all-tube amps are amaaazing, but are out-of-this world expensive for a stack. Any Marshall amp other than an AVT or MG will give you excellent tones. But for blues, like SRV, i also suggest you check out some good Fender tube combos. Many all-tube Fenders are much less than Marshalls, and give you amaazing clean tones and slightly dirty blues tones that Marshall simply cannot match. I would try out some of both brand and see what you like.
Quote by Jono3425
another question....is marshall good for low mids?

What's your budget even?
Which marshall are you talking about? A JCM, MG, AVT, JVM, what?
Don't refer to an amp by it's company, refer by it's company AND model.
We can't know if marshall is good for low mids because we don't know the model.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
my budget it about $800. Im looking to go check some out this weekend and i don't really know too much about them, which is why I was asking for some models to check out while I'm there.
For that price, i'd just look at other amps.

Peavey Classic and Traynor YCV's come to mind.
There really aren't too many good marshalls in that price range. You could get lucky and get one used, but if you want to go new, or if you have problems finding a good marshall, i'd go for one of the ones I said.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Yes, they have a good mid control to them, but that mostly comes down to your pups, if they're humbuckers, they will produce more mids than singlecoils on say a Strat.
High as tits
Quote by Jono3425
my budget it about $800. Im looking to go check some out this weekend and i don't really know too much about them, which is why I was asking for some models to check out while I'm there.

Can you specify the reason why you want a marshall?

Look into ceriaone, They are really great marshall clones. And you can get an 18w Plexi. You know how plexis are, you gotta crank them up really high to get that sweet spot, well with the 18w one you won't kill people around you and you'll be able to get that tone.

The peavey classic 30 is worth a look as well, it's a really great amp. And Like I mentioned before, The traynor ycv50. The ycv40 is a great amp as well. The change of watts isn't really noticeable. But there is a change in the tone. You can get all the amps I mentioned above, new for 800$

+1 to qotsa1998, Check out the hot rod deville, great amp for blues
Well i dont really know if i want a marshall, thats why i wanted to find out about them, ive heard a bit about fenders, but i have no idea what marshalls to check out, and i dont want to ask a salesperson for obvious reasons. I just want to know some good models to try out, and see if i want them. And by the way im willing to spend more than 800 if its needed
is there any chance of a link to the 18W plexi, i tried to find it but i couldnt thanks and sorry to butt in on your thread but i am also in the same predicament.
Just try some out. I use a MG 50 DFX for practice, and it's pretty good. I've found that if you know what you're doing, and spend some time to learn how to use the controls, you can get a reasonably good sound out of any amp made by one of the leading manufacturers.
[cough]bullsh*t chokmool [/cough]

Look into different brands Thread Starter.
Marshall amps below 800 dollars aren't exactly 'great'.
Disagree Moe. Maybe you don't know how to work it. If you know what your doing, and have some basic skills, you should be able to make even a POS amp work. This comment will probably be a waste of time as far as you are concerned.
Quote by Moe.

Are you saying that JCM900/800's aren't great Marshalls?
High as tits
Traynor YCV40 comes to mind. More flexible, and better-sounding than most modern Marshalls (especially the woeful DSL combos, and that Vintage/Modern junk).

Jono3425, I'd never recommend choosing your amp by brand. Marshall have done a lot of clever PR to create this notion of 'The Marshall Sound', as if it's some tangible quality found only in their amps. Don't forget that Jimi used a JTM45 'Plexi' stack, one of the best sounding amplifiers of all time - the difference between that and a modern JCM2000 DSL, for example, is vast.

Get yourself down to a guitar store and ask to try a few smallish tube amps, then let your ears guide you. In your case though, Marshall is probably not the way to go.

EDIT: And I agree with Chokmool's earlier comment, you can get a usable tone out of any amp and sometimes it can just become pure snobbery. As a main amp though, I certainly wouldn't recommend an MG50...
Last edited by kyle62 at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Are you saying that JCM900/800's aren't great Marshalls?

Nope, I love the JCM800/900 series.
I was going by my prices since I'm Aussie.
Hell, a spider costs as much as a valveking in some places..
Quote by Moe.

AVT's aren't really that bad, Moe. Valvestates in general are pretty decent for practice, but MG's are bad for ANYTHING.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I will admit it right now....I have no expreience with Marshalls. I have always played Fender amps and I have never played one that dissapointed me. I don't know about Marshalls, but I can definately reccomend my amp, the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
for srv fender is definitely the way to go... hendrix used plexi's (****ing loud, like too loud to use)...

id second the traynor as it gets marshall crunch and fender cleans at a good price
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
i wouldnt reccomend any marshall's except for the JCM's. They can definately deliver on the more overdriven side of blues, etc. If you want something thats better value for money, i'd reccomend laney. They have much better cleans and "crunchy" tones - maybe not the distinctive rock overdrive or eye-catching gold plate of a marshall.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by oneblackened
AVT's aren't really that bad, Moe. Valvestates in general are pretty decent for practice, but MG's are bad for ANYTHING.

Refer to the post above yours.
Also, AVT's are over 800dollars here.
^jeez. that's an extreme ripoff. I'm kind of glad I'm not Aussie (no offense of course)!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Traynor all the way for that budget, try the YCV40 and YCV50 and see which one you like best.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you can, search the 'bay for a vintage Fender PA 100, I daisy chain all of the channels with my strat and crank it (if it's just the amp and the guitar you can crank it all the way without causing anyone distress) and it sounds GREAT for blues. Mmmmm....
Member of the vegetarian club

Arbor AF-100
Cheap Kona

Boss PH-2
Ibanez DC10
NYC Big Muff
Little Alligator
Peavey Rockmaster
TC G-Major
FCB1010
BBE 401 Maxie
Boss RC-20