Sunday morning I'm playing in our band at church and there is one really fast song with a A/C# to Bm7 switch we are playing. I've been practicing it with the Bm7 but getting some string buzzing sometime because I haven't fully mastered barre chords yet. Tonight I tried a D instead of the Bm7 and it sounded pretty much the same and seemed to work great. I saw one article online that indicated this is a common chord substitution. Will D work over Bm7 in lots of songs like this? Thanks
It'll sound good because the notes are very similar:
D: D F# A
Bm7: B D F# A

So if you can't barre yet, try playing it like this if you want to actually play a voicing of a Bm7:

e--2-----
B--3-----
G--2-----
D--0-----(you can mute this if you want)
A--2-----
E-------
e-2
B-0
G-2
D-0

something like that would work too right?
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
yeah, they're the same thing in a way. The D is just a Bm7 without the root, and assuming there's a bass player or piano player playing the root, you should be all set.
Quote by InanezGuitars44
e-2
B-0
G-2
D-0

something like that would work too right?

It's a different voicing, yes, but I put the B in the root to accentuate the fact that the chord is based on B. It contains all the notes of a Bm7 though.
The bass player and the acoustic guitar player should be hitting the root, so we should be cool. Thanks all for the advice.