After consulting with many, I have finally figure out what mods/hot rod is needed for my Blues Junior

Goal:
-Learning experience
-Give me as much control of the amp as possible (thus have options to decide how many gain stage in both pre AND post EQ); allow me to either go close to stock if I wanted to, or have even more gain if needed.
-Provide multiple cascading gain stage

Plan:
-BillM twin stack mod (probably be done in an hour)
-BillM Reverb mod
-Insert the 2nd gain stage after EQ
--Option: making it true bypassable.
-Insert second input; second input will go to the second gain stage (the one before EQ), after volume one.
--Insert second volume after the EQ.
--May have to move the fat circuit too

Issues: I need to modify my chassis input a bit, so that I can have two inputs as well as all the extra knobs. Question is how? Seems like a big fuss to rent a welder just to plug up that input hole so I can drill two holes for the input.

Anythign else I should watch out for?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by kurtlives91
What do you mean by make it true bypassable?

True bypass: if we consider a stage as a single unit, then in order to make it truly by pass, then it must by disconnected not just on one end, but on both ends. In fact, all good channel switchings and effect units have true bypass (ref: traynor service manual, Hot Rod Deluxe diagram)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Anyway, can any one think of ways to plug up the hole in the chassis without using welding (only have experience with spot welding anyway) or brazing (as difficult and costly as welding for a small hole)?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Why would you close up a hole to make two more? Just drill another one. If that's not an option for some reason, you can get some snazzy looking plastic plugs and put them in the empty hole. Those look pretty good, not expensive either. You could also put a switch or extra pilot light there. You can never have enough switches or lights.
Quote by Roc8995
Why would you close up a hole to make two more?

the input is at the center. For two inputs, it's better to have them side by side, away from the middle?

I know; I could have just gone with a simple switch (or even dip switch) to control the amount of gain before EQ... actually may be an option, but some how a 2 input amp appeals me. (Using a switch is simpler, just make v1b bypassable, and use either a pull-pot or mini switch)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Apr 4, 2008,
your gonna have trouble welding that up the plate looks pretty thin and depending on what its made of it prob wont weld too good, might just end up blowing more holes in it with welder.
braizing might work but wouldnt look too attractive.
dont really know if you could do it, might have to get a piece of sheet aluminium or something and custom build your own new panel.

also just out of interest what are you trying to do with the amp? i a have a blues jr and just wondering how your trying to make it sound what are you using it for.
sounds like an interesting mod, when youv finished you should post some pics/details
Plan changes (and question arise)

One issue here is that I need to differntiate between the 1+2 configuration (ala Mesa "clean") and 2+1 (blues junior). Assuming all three gain stage is similarly configed (with same grid resistors and cathode resistors/caps), how will the sound be affected?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Apr 5, 2008,