i've been playing for a few months and i never got lessons or any thing so i was wondering how do you tap? sounds stupid but it never sound right when i atempt it.
easy. you TAP the string your playing.
Your light bulb knows everything you do in your room.
say u've got ur first finger on the 5th fret on the high e string (one furthest from u),

now 'tap' the 12th fret and pull it off kinda quickly, kinda like pickin the string only with the tip of ur finger

its a no brainer
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
If your guitar has high action you have to tap ALOT harder, in some cases you cant get any sound at all. If you have a cheap guitar like a squier or a behringer strat or something, chances are your action is much higher then it needs to be.

The technique for tapping though, you fret a note with your left hand, then you tap a higher fret with a finger on your right hand, usually the middle finger. You need to tap reasonably hard to get a strong sound, then you pull it off to the side of the fret board or up really fast, and the note you fretted with your left hand will ring. Usually people fret two or more notes with their left hand, tap a higher note with your right hand, pull it off, then pull off your higher finger with your left hand to get 3 successive notes with one tap.

If you still dont get it, search youtube for some tapping videos, that should help. As for songs with tapping, one by metallica (the solo), or you could try van halens eruption...dragonforce use alot of tapping too but thats aiming a bit high for a begginer, good luck!
Also, you're going to need a good amount of gain to get the "tapping sound" correctly. If not, it'll just sound muffled.
Signature
Quote by reaper_x
easy. you TAP the string your playing.

Wonderful advice. Thank you for posting that.

Anyway, make sure you're also using your bridge pickup, it'll pick up the higher frequencies better.
I learned to tap by playing the tapping part to Eruption - Eddie Van Halen. It might look crazy buts its really easy. Just start slow and use a metronome.
take your first or middle finger on right hand (i prefer middle), and hit it right in between two frets. That is a tap.
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
I have to disagree with a few things.

Tominator, you don't need to pull of quickly. You can hold a tapped note. I wouldn't call it like picking. It's more like a hammer on.

Arycama, you don't need to hit a string very hard to tap. It doesn't take much force.

Aeroblast, you can tap on clean channels just fine. Watch a stanley jordan video.

:-D, it's far from a necessity. It doesn't make that much of a difference. Personally, I like the middle position with both pickups than either for tapping. It's personal preference.
Quote by TheShred201
:-D, it's far from a necessity. It doesn't make that much of a difference. Personally, I like the middle position with both pickups than either for tapping. It's personal preference.

The bridge pickup will transmit the higher frequencies better, and if he's just learning to tap, then I believe it's better to start off using that. As the technique becomes better he can experiment with different setups.