Page 1 of 2
basically, this is just an extension of the convo going on in "i just found out my dad smokes pot".

what i want to know is if your for or against weed, your reasons for being so inclined, and maybe a wee bit of information for the other readers that dont know much bout it.

personally, im for cannabis as, as far as i know, its less harmful than drinking, causes less accidentrs than drinking and is pretty much cheaper than drinking over here in the uk.
Quote by Kensai
kikaykitko, why do I get the feeling you're very sex depraved when you're on UG?

Quote by kikaykitko
Because my virginity is starting to grow back.

Did you know mobile phones are more harmful than nicotine?
Last edited by Supples at Apr 4, 2008,
i take it your being sarcastic. maybe you could actually correct me instead?

edit: these are just things that ive heard, regardless of whether there right or wrong. the idea of the thread is to compile information and hearsay to help people form an opinion.
Quote by Kensai
kikaykitko, why do I get the feeling you're very sex depraved when you're on UG?

Quote by kikaykitko

Last edited by lupusthewolf at Apr 4, 2008,
One thing i can say about weed, the stereotyped image is much more extreme and negative than what it actually is in real life. The reason its called a gate-way drug is because its so weak(in comparison)
I think everyone already knows how I feel about this.

AGAINST.

Not only should it remain illegal, but the punishments should be made 10 times more severe.

That is all I am going to say in this thread, so don't reply to me, because I won't respond to you.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
yeah, i can understand that. two years ago smoking bud make me think that i was hardcore, but then i found out my cousin was a scag-addict. seeing him made me realise theres nothing cool bout taking drugs
Quote by Kensai

Quote by kikaykitko

i personally dont do it, but i have friends who do or did, and it doesnt bother me.
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by Liberation

AGAINST.

Not only should it remain illegal, but the punishments should be made 10 times more severe.

That is all I am going to say in this thread, so don't reply to me, because I won't respond to you.

Don't worry no ones gonna respond to you what said is pretty much worthless. oh wait.
Every drug should be legal IMO, but at least there are some actual reasons for the harder ones. There's no excuse for weed being illegal. At all.

What really annoys me is people who say **** like "My friends a heroin addict, I think I would know that drugs aren't cool" or something like that. People really need to stop lumping non-harmful drugs in with the hard ones. Just because they're all illegal doesn't mean they're all harmful.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Apr 4, 2008,
Quote by whalepudding
Every drug should be legal IMO, but at least there are some actual reasons for the harder ones. There's no excuse for weed being illegal. At all.

Yay, someone who agrees with me.
I would say a little weed now and again can do no harm

Although heavy usage will mess with your head (speaking from experience)

I’m not for or against really, just make your own damn mind up, take good advice and don’t give into all that peer pressure bull****.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
It should be legal, imo. So should all hard drugs. Sounds crazy, I know but I have my reasons.

I'd love to hear those reasons...
Quote by whalepudding

+1

the government has no business telling people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies as long as it isn't affecting anyone else.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Weed is great. I love it - most of my friends love it..girlfriend doesn't smoke it but doesn't hate it.

Its personal opinion.

People that force it down throats that its terrible and bad are dumb asses

People that preach about it and how great it is are just as bad.

To each their own...now time to go get stoned
Quote by xC0ldBl00dx

yeah, imust admit to a certain piquing of interest...
Quote by Kensai

Quote by kikaykitko

I'd be fine with legalizing it. But I certainly don't want MY friends and family smoking it all the time and blowing it in MY face. And I've already kicked people out of my house for smoking it here. I'd rather have nothing to do with it myself. I'm fine with it if other people want to do it away from me. That's their business.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
+1

the government has no business telling people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies as long as it isn't affecting anyone else.

lol, loving the libertarian stand. that makes two of us.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by kikaykitko

Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Yay, someone who agrees with me.

Quote by xC0ldBl00dx

Obviously I'm only speaking for myself and I don't know redh0tchilip3pp's reasons, but here are mine:

- A lot of illegal drugs aren't addictive or harmful at all, so it is completely pointless for them to be illegal.

- Making it legal won't make everyone do drugs. People don't do crack because they don't want to be a crackhead, not because they could get arrested. In Holland they legalised weed and the number of users fell, in Geneva there was some test program where they gave heroin users safe heroin and a safe place to use it, and the number of users fell by 80%.

- Illegal drugs pay for crime, drug dealing gangs do a ****load of crime. In America there's a bunch of anti-weed ads saying 'Weed funds terrorism'. If drugs were all legal, this wouldn't happen, and drugs would be a legal business like any other.

- People have had their lives ruined and spent their lives in jail because of possession of drugs. Legalising it would not only let people do whatever they want with themselves without being sent to jail for it, it would also make more room in jail for real criminals.

- Illegal drugs have all kinds of **** in them. You can get drugs laced with harder drugs, and you can get drugs that have a dickload of **** added that just makes it more harmful. This is obviously bad. Legalising drugs would get rid of this and make drugs a lot safer.

- If drugs were legal, it would be fairly impossible to OD unless you're a dumbass, since it would be possible to say on the box 'This much causes an overdose, don't take this much'.

- Drugs being illegal won't stop people using them. Since they're illegal people will think they're hardcore for doing drugs and breaking the law. Legalising drugs will stop this.

- As much as the government would like you to think it isn't, it IS possible to try harder drugs like heroin and not become an addict. There is such thing as responsible drug use.

- Drug addiction wouldn't be as bad. Drug users wouldn't need to spend all their money and then borrow/steal money to get their drugs since they'd be cheaper. Going to rehab would be less awkward since they wouldn't be scared of the cops finding out. They could be more open about it since they wouldn't be scared of being arrested, and getting help for it would be easier.

- The government/police could stop spending so much money on regulating drugs and spend it on something that makes sense. Drugs could also be taxed.

- Cigarettes and alcohol are legal when a lot of illegal drugs aren't as bad as them. This is retarded. Weed, acid and shrooms aren't addictive and don't cause violence, while alcohol is addictive and some people are violent drunks.

- The drugs that are actually harmful only hurt the people that use them, so if they know the dangers, it's their choice, not the government's.
Quote by Liberation

AGAINST.

Wow, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Weed is safer than alcohol and many other harmful drugs. In saying that anything in excess is dangerous. The only reason it's not legal in my opinion is that the government can't tax it.

If weed was legal I don't think it would act as a gateway anymore. People would have no need to be in contact with drug dealers therefore the risk is minimized. Also you would know what your getting if you bought it over the counter instead of dealing with some seedy dudes.

Quote by Liberation

AGAINST.

What is the point of making a statement without any reasons or evidence? It kindof misses the point of discussion. I particularly disagree with the punishment idea, it seems people with minor drug infringements serve more time than rapists and murderers. <== heard that off a nevermore album!
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
+1

well thats just it, it can get to a point where it affects others such as children and partners. but if it were legal the quality wuld be better and people wuldnt mind goin to hospital so much.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
well thats just it, it can get to a point where it affects others such as children and partners. .

well yeah, but so can car accidents, lets ban cars.

Last.fm
Quote by xC0ldBl00dx

Okay, first of all by making drugs such as heroin and cocaine legal, crime rates would drop instantly. Nobody would have to go and shop lift and mug people for money ((remember these guys do anything to get their next fix)).

They would be able to get the drugs from a pharmacy for free, where it is much more safer. Heroin is a very safe drug when used in proper circumstances. Do you have any idea how the dealers cut the drugs? They mix it with all sorts of stuff. I'm talking about things as bad as drain cleaner. Also, a paracetamol is worse to OD on than heroin. But yeah, the pharmacies would be able to give the drug to people cleanly.

Now you're thinking, wouldn't people start taking heroin more? Of corse not. If heroin did become legal, would that make you want to start taking it? I think not, unless you're stupid. And even if this was the case, then when the drugs first became legal there would be a system where the current addicts would sign up. Then these would be the only people who could recieve the drugs.

They would also be taking it infront of a pharmacist, to make sure they don't go outside and sell it off. Much like the current process for methadone. Gradually the pharmacy's would get people off heroin.

It's also a much more friendly and helpful process. By making drugs legal, the addicts are being given help and support. They don't have to do things in secret. They can be open about their addictions, etc.

That's just some of the things for starters.

Btw, you're transparent as hell.

the way i see it, if you can take a drug, and not substancialy(sp?) effect someone elses life, it should be legal. otherwise its control for the sake of control.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by kikaykitko

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well yeah, but so can car accidents, lets ban cars.

well so can knives, guns, elephants, sharks, stairs and governments but we NEED these. you dont need weed in the same way
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
+1

One might say, that if a person is trying to commit suicide you'd want the govt to intervene. The question is, would it be ok with you if a person used cyanide, which is also a drug, or not? Where do you draw the line with the use of various substances?

btw, I'm all for legalization. Just rtying to add another point of view.
Legalisation = taxation, control, reputable sellers = less crime, less danger, less bad stuff, less gangsta dealers = GOOD FOR EVERYONE.

Legalisation FTW. FYI, I've never even touched the stuff.
if thats his or hers choice, i have no right to step on in and say you cant do that. its the ability to make choices that seperates people and, as long as its indiuvidual to the person, its completlety their call.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by kikaykitko

Quote by lupusthewolf
if thats his or hers choice, i have no right to step on in and say you cant do that. its the ability to make choices that seperates people and, as long as its indiuvidual to the person, its completlety their call.

Ok, so you're ok with someone choosing to kill him/herself? 100% ok with it? Wouldn't you try and stop him/her?
Quote by Hells_Bell
Ok, so you're ok with someone choosing to kill him/herself? 100% ok with it? Wouldn't you try and stop him/her?

id ask them if they where sure thats what they wanted to do, but, if someone wants to die, who am i to say they cant?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by kikaykitko

I'm 100% for. To me, there is no valid reason why it should be illegal.

The governments are just wasting a shitload of resources harassing bud smokers/growers. Those resources have better targets than that.
Quote by Deep*Kick
well so can knives, guns, elephants, sharks, stairs and governments but we NEED these. you dont need weed in the same way

We don't need stairs, we can have ramps. Elephants aren't too useful either.

Anyway "THEY CAN BE ABUSED AND HARM PEOPLE" is not a reason to ban something. Making drugs illegal WILL NOT stop people from being hurt by other people's addictions. People need to realise this. It only means that the addiction will have to be kept a secret, the addict's life will be worse, and it will be harder for them to get help. If someone's drug use is harming someone else, the person using it is being irresponsible and that's their fault, not the drug's. Making it illegal won't help that, it'll only mean the people just having some fun getting high once in a while can get arrested for owning certain chemicals.

Quote by Hells_Bell
One might say, that if a person is trying to commit suicide you'd want the govt to intervene. The question is, would it be ok with you if a person used cyanide, which is also a drug, or not? Where do you draw the line with the use of various substances?

I think the difference there is what the government will do. I wouldn't want anyone I know to kill themselves, but if the government arrested them and gave them a jail sentence for attempted suicide I would be pretty fucking pissed off. And suicide is a fundamental human right, whether we'd be happy about it or not.
It's irrelevant that it's technically less harmful than drinking. If you're an idiot who drinks alcohol purely for the drug effects then of course you consider them in the same league.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Hells_Bell
^also, that is a really bad quote of me in your sig

Well I lol'd at it. I'll take it out if you want.
Quote by Hells_Bell

No I would not want the government to intervene, if the persons friends/family try to intervene that's one thing, but the government shouldn't be able to stop you from killing yourself either if that's what you want to do.

Last.fm
i think it should be legalised, but the fact of the matter is that if you are at all prone to a mental disorder of any kind, it WILL speed up the process. the problem i've encountered is that a lot of people i know, including myself, started smoking weed at the age of about 15 or 16, when our mental health was fine, and it's only now we're getting to the ages of 21 and 22 (the age that most mental disorders are diagnosed) that it's starting to come out of the woodwork.
for most people, smoking weed is a lot less harmful than legal substances like booze or tobacco, but it's easy to lose sight of the fact that it can ruin lives, and you need a bit of persepective to realise that.
Page 1 of 2