Plan on trying these out over the next week and have tried to research as much as I can beforehand, but I have a couple of new questions first. With the xl, what is the lightest type of hard rock or rock that you'd want to use this for? I've watched demos for this and the regular vt, and I'm too new to tell if the xl is really just aimed at modern metal...which I don't like or play. 90 percent of what I want to play is maiden, priest, metallica, ozzy, megadeth, crue, van halen, and even poison, tesla etc. Also, I'm sure at some point I'd like to play some stones, etc. I've seen stuff that indicates that once I have a better ear I might not think the normal vox may not have enough gain for most of this. But I'm worried that every xl channel is so gained-up that I can't use it to play some normal classic rock or stuff for my kids. Oh, and this will be only a practice amp since I just dink around for fun.

Thanks!
I think you should go for the standard version, the XL can sound pretty muddy (the normal one is very bassy to begin with).

This is about as gainy as it gets without sounding bad
The XL offers you higher gain options, but it still models clean, blues and classic rock based amps, so I'd say go for the XL, even though it is uglier! You could always swap the grill though lol!
Quote by Eddie NYC
Plan on trying these out over the next week and have tried to research as much as I can beforehand, but I have a couple of new questions first. With the xl, what is the lightest type of hard rock or rock that you'd want to use this for? I've watched demos for this and the regular vt, and I'm too new to tell if the xl is really just aimed at modern metal...which I don't like or play. 90 percent of what I want to play is maiden, priest, metallica, ozzy, megadeth, crue, van halen, and even poison, tesla etc. Also, I'm sure at some point I'd like to play some stones, etc. I've seen stuff that indicates that once I have a better ear I might not think the normal vox may not have enough gain for most of this. But I'm worried that every xl channel is so gained-up that I can't use it to play some normal classic rock or stuff for my kids. Oh, and this will be only a practice amp since I just dink around for fun.

Thanks!

the channels on the XL will indeed be gained-up, but that's not a problem because i play blues with the 'highgain 3' on my vox da5 sometimes , you can always roll the gain knob down.

i hear the VT XL series are much worse than the originals though, apparently they sound muddy and fizzy....

i'd definitely go for a normal VT, it'll still have enough gain for what you want anyway.

a better option might be a cube 30X or something though, they sound better for harder stuff, but have 'worse' cleans and light OD tones as opposed to the valvetronix which is better for cleans and classic rock, but not so for hard stuff.

try both out and see which one you prefer (the cube or VT), you can't go wrong with either.

good luck
Don't get the XL. It's a dreadful waste of money.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
a better option might be a cube 30X or something though, they sound better for harder stuff, but have 'worse' cleans and light OD tones as opposed to the valvetronix which is better for cleans and classic rock, but not so for hard stuff.

try both out and see which one you prefer (the cube or VT), you can't go wrong with either.

good luck

The vox doesn't sound as 'digitally' as the roland though right? Also does the roland sound better for hard rock because the amp models are closer/better, or because of higher gain?
The regular vox itself does high gain fine. But it does excell and clean - midgain, doesnt mean it cant do anything heavier though. It's a good amp.

Ive played the XL, its awfull, sterile, muddy, no decent clean settings at all, far too many high gain models, about 2 of them sound decent....

The regular vox ADVT is great.
The cube is also decent, but the vox does sound alot better.
sorry if this is a noob question, but is the regular AD30VT a tube amp? cause i remember reading from somewhere that the AD30VT XL is a SS, so this got me confused...
The regular vox itself does high gain fine. But it does excell and clean - midgain, doesnt mean it cant do anything heavier though. It's a good amp.QUOTE]

Last question on this from me, would the bands I listed above be considered mid or hi-gain in terms of the amps?